SCS 6 vs TRD Pro Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to pair one of these up with a 265/70R-17 BFG KO2 tire on a 2011 GX460. I want to use the OEM spare tire carrier. I've read that tire size will fit and the TRD wheels will fit (although that was a with a 255 width tire). Has anyone tried either of these in the spare location? Thanks.

I am going to attempt to fit a 255/70/18 on the stock wheel in the factory spare location soon. It won't fit properly inflated so I am hoping that it'll push, squeeze, squish up in there with the air pressure dropped to 5-7psi. I have the ARB twin compressor under the hood and I keep the inflation kit in the vehicle full-time so should I ever need the spare I can easily inflate it to the proper air pressure before mounting it. At the moment I still have the factory spare under there, but it's completely worthless due to the difference in size, it would do more damage to the driveline than good should I ever have a flat. So with that said it's worth the experiment to see if I can make the deflated 255/70/18 fit underneath.

I just put 265 70 17 KO2’s with TRD Pro’s on my 2011. Didn’t have a chance to get a spare wheel yet for the spare.

6960B786-B2E9-45B5-B5F0-1105795A6874.jpeg

No wheels spacers. They just bolt right on. The TRD Pro's are from a 2018 4Runner.

Last edited:
Looks great ! Let us know on the spare fitting carrier

Waiting for delivery of an '11 GX 460 Premium from Vegas

Wife's DD....she is insisting on upgraded aftermarket wheels

Tires will be Goodyear Ultra Terrain 265-70x17's

black-street-loc_black-lip_20_zoom.png

Reactions: xlx
Toyota OEM TRD and SCS wheels came from the same factory in Thailand, TechArt. High quality stuff.

"came" or "come" as in they still do? I have a set of SCS SR8's on the GX and I have to admit that they have a better finish and feel about them than any Method, Racine or Fuel I've ever had.

"came" or "come" as in they still do? I have a set of SCS SR8's on the GX and I have to admit that they have a better finish and feel about them than any Method, Racine or Fuel I've ever had.
I sold the TRD and still have SCS Ray 10 as spare, so I had compared them and sure that they both came from Thailand. I think TechArt still make them too. Now I run Method 105 beadlock because I spend a lot of time at several desert racing events, prerun, chase and race. The Ray 10 ripped a tire when I got flat so I kept the Method beadlock on now. It all depend on what you use them for and how you build your rig up really. 285-70-17 help protect the wall of Skinny 7” width TRD, but same tire don’t have much lips to protect the SCS Ray 10 which is 9” width and you can easily mess up the finishing. 2-cent..

I sold the TRD and still have SCS Ray 10 as spare, so I had compared them and sure that they both came from Thailand. I think TechArt still make them too. Now I run Method 105 beadlock because I spend a lot of time at several desert racing events, prerun, chase and race. The Ray 10 ripped a tire when I got flat so I kept the Method beadlock on now. It all depend on what you use them for and how you build your rig up really. 285-70-17 help protect the wall of Skinny 7” width TRD, but same tire don’t have much lips to protect the SCS Ray 10 which is 9” width and you can easily mess up the finishing. 2-cent..

Agreed. I have run true bead locks in the past as well and when you truly need them there's no alternative. For most a quality non-bead lock wheel is all they will ever need. The draw backs of running a true bead lock on a daily aren't worth the trade offs for most. That said, aside from one set of Champion bead locks, I have had very good luck with running bead locks on a daily. For the GX and the direction I am taking the build it is very unlikely that I will ever need or utilize bead locks enough to justify them.

One other tidbit that will help from blowing a bead off a rim.
The rim should be as narrow as possible for the tire being mounted.
Don't go purchasing 10"+ wide rims.
When aired down, narrow rims help keep the tire bead on the rim.
Note: it's not absolute, but for most of us this is all we need.

Reactions: xlx
Great color wheels to contrast with the black body paint!

Thank you sir, I'll thank the wife as I'm color blind as hell and made her choose between matte gunmetal and dark matte bronze for me.

@jmanscotch Looks great! Any lift kits installed? I assume 285/70 will rub the walls especially in turns/reverse etc.

Did indeed go for a lift, Dobinsons 2-3” with 100LB+ springs up front and 200lb+ springs in the rear and JBA upper control arms to get some caster back. Been very happy with it all so far.

I feel I’ve had to do more trimming that others have for a similar tire/lift setup. I’ve done a BMC, moved the front fender liner forward 2”, trimmed the crap out of the rear fender liner (bottom 12-16” of it), several inches off the running board and I still get an occasional rub with off camber turning when suspension is stuffed a bit off-road. I think I need to flatten the pinch welds now. Not sure what gives there.

I liked the Stealth 6s enough I put some on the trailer too. It's running Jeep CJ-7 suspension with a 2" shackle lift

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom