School me on sound deadener (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You sprayed the doors instead of putting mat? That sure sounds a lot easier, it didn’t stink up the interior? Hell i wish i could just spray under the carpet too….

Why didn’t you also use the boom mat on your wheel wells instead of the raptor liner?
I did the door seams and lower edges - and fattmatt and foam inside the doorskins as well. they sound like a vault now. Not much smell - but be sure to seal it back up with poly....

I did fattmatt and then foam in the interior, but the exterior liner I did in Raptor - 3 layers....

Alright, I picked up some rust oleum rubber coating sound proofer and in addition to the wheel wells I'm going to spray all the interior door panels and the rear panels. The door panels look pretty easy to take off but how about that plastic sheet sitting under it, do you take it off and put it back on? Also can anyone point me to any instructions on removing the rear cargo panels?

I'll report back when it's done hopefully the info helps someone, I'll do a decibel test before and after. Anything else you guys think I should spray down? Not sure if I have enough banana credentials to tackle the firewall, as I have none at all, what do I do just get in there and start spraying?

I'm going to do the floor with mat later on when my seats are out.

I think you'll be disappointed with that, and it's going to be a massive pain to remove if you are.

You mean that specific product I’ll be disappointed with or just spray deadener in general?

The boom mat apparently has a horrendous smell to it which is why I chose the rust oleum. You don’t even think it’s any good in the wheel wells?

You mean that specific product I’ll be disappointed with or just spray deadener in general?
Spray deadener in general. It's messy and really doesn't put much mass onto the panels. It's also going to it's outgas for awhile, if you're concerned about smell.

I tried a "pro audio" sound deadener product on an earlier vehicle. I spent a bunch of money and, in my opinion, it had less effect than a single layer of butyl deadener.

Noico doesn't have any smell that I noticed.

Spray deadener in general. It's messy and really doesn't put much mass onto the panels. It's also going to it's outgas for awhile, if you're concerned about smell.

I tried a "pro audio" sound deadener product on an earlier vehicle. I spent a bunch of money and, in my opinion, it had less effect than a single layer of butyl deadener.

Noico doesn't have any smell that I noticed.

Hmm, I value the first hand input I will research and re-evaluate thank you. Worst comes to worse it can all just be used in the wheel wells. Looking into that rear panel where the jack is it just seems like an immensely easier thing to spray it down rather than try to fit mat in there, same as the doors.

How do you feel about coating the firewall?

Could you post up this info on a dedicated thread that I created please? I don't want to muck up this thread!

Thanks bud.

Last edited:
Looking into that rear panel where the jack is it just seems like an immensely easier thing to spray it down rather than try to fit mat in there, same as the doors.
It's not that difficult. Cut some newspaper to fit and use that as a template to cut the sound deadening. Peel back an inch or so of the backing near the top. Position it, press the top against the panel, then pull the backing out from behind it while smoothing it against the panel. Then hit it with a hard rubber roller (Noico has a texture that's supposed to be flattened out, indicating that it's properly applied).

IMO the firewall is the last thing to worry about.

I've been researching the topic to the point where I think I have read just about everything out there. I came across this thread while looking for research for sound deadening my Bronco, and I figured I would join and drop these links for anyone still reading. It has proven to be very helpful on all things sound deadening.

Sound Deadening Information
Other Sound Deadener Related Resources

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom