Schofield Pass... In an LC200...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All info about the rear bumper here. Really happy with it.

Yup. Webster is on the list and looks LC friendly.
I went through Webster pass last week. Totally stock LC friendly. Coming down through handcart gulch is a bit narrow but doable. A few tight spot. I just go slow.

4104C338-47D4-458C-81BB-448050F6C4FB.jpeg

So how about getting back on the subject people... SCHOFIELD! Any one else have taken their LC200 there? Am I really the only one??

So how about getting back on the subject people... SCHOFIELD! Any one else have taken their LC200 there? Am I really the only one??
Own it for now. First LC200 on Schofield. ;p

I would love to tackle this pass in the future. :)

I recall doing Handcart Gulch to Webster Pass during LCDC Breck... that pinch point is probably the narrowest piece of road I've driven. I remember hearing "just keep going forward, most of your tire is still on the trail" on the radio.

@TonyP still doesn't talk about that section.

You'd think 19 years (so far) in the Air Force would cure my hatred for heights. Nope.

You'd think 19 years (so far) in the Air Force would cure my hatred for heights. Nope.
I hear ya. We did Ophir Pass and a bunch others in July. That one was a bit nerving for all of us, probably because we tired from doing Mineral Creek the hard way in the morning (East to West) and then Imogene Pass. It's so odd how calm I can be at 30k feet on a commercial plane where I have no control over the aircraft. But sometimes when I'm in full control in a very-capable-off-road rig I can get a bit nervous with extreme exposure.

Yeah....I guess that's part of the appeal with the Dissent one being aluminum (especially for the AHC), but I'm not towing as much either.

Yeah but once I free up the space underneath the truck by relocating the spare, I'm going to have trouble NOT spending $ on an aux tank too ;)

Weight has been one issue for me but also the hassle of opening the swingouts as well. Not a huge deal but the truck is our DD and my wife normally drives it so it's a bit of a hassle. I also need to measure the swing arc to verify clearance to the trailer when attached, but I suspect any setup with equal length swingouts will work.

Just closed on my new (to me) house in Mt. CB, right on Gothic Road. I need to get out and about around here and see some things. This thread has me hyped up!

Just closed on my new (to me) house in Mt. CB, right on Gothic Road. I need to get out and about around here and see some things. This thread has me hyped up!

So I went up Schofield from CB on Sunday. I only went up to where CR-734 branches out to the west (about 1 mile-ish N of Emerald Lake). I did not attempt the punchbowl track (solo, no bumpers/skids/winch, only sliders....that's a pass on that pass). I then took CR-734 over to Oh Be Joyful valley back on down to CB. It was amazing, and no sweat. I can't believer this is 12 miles out my front door!

If anyone ever gets up this way, hit me up! I've got a great big driveway to stage in :D

-Chris

Sliders, lift and tires are a must for Schofield IMO. I was glad to have the narrow Slee design sliders. Made is easier to go through the two large boulders at the end of the trail on the CB side.

Last edited:
bump-skittle.

Anyone run it this year?

I think traffic management would be a pretty large challenge here. Are there any turnouts to allow traffic to pass anywhere? If you are heading from CB to Marble are you looking at a really long backout if you encounter people coming up?

-Chris

I know that spot! This is from the 2017 LCDC in Breck around the same area. It was raining and had been hailing right before we came down this which made it extra interesting. I think 1 or 2 of the 200s in our group saw a little damage on this hill. It was more like a bobsled track than a trail at that point with the rain and mud!

ACtC-3fT65QwTVdwMEzP21CNDY-GCuNOTHIdUGO59lv1aVxDAZIAjnwc9PDA62Z6ptiv85lyZUlRn86PapD6-p5VY5_toeHuUqvKYSWzoeCn9HS0V4VzaZMM5qmhZ7Ad-NyOn7Cv1cQiEET0dF6mm6447MEs=w750-h937-no
That tree claimed @Atwalz taillight and passenger door!

Made it though in the rain by the skin of my teeth, thanks to @vapilotda

Edit: I should pay more attention to the timestamps on these posts. *eyeroll*

bump-skittle.

Anyone run it this year?

I think traffic management would be a pretty large challenge here. Are there any turnouts to allow traffic to pass anywhere? If you are heading from CB to Marble are you looking at a really long backout if you encounter people coming up?

-Chri
bump-skittle.

Anyone run it this year?

-Chris
ran it twice this season. I start from Marble. Usually if there is traffic, I let people by at the bridge then wait for a quiet time to head up. Most nice people wait at the trailhead on top. Mostly side by side rigs

Is there a better day/time to make this run? I'm concerned about OHV traffic. I really want to run from CB to Marble, as that is where I live, but *really* don't want to have to back up the hill a few miles if I experience oncoming traffic.

-Chris

Is there a better day/time to make this run? I'm concerned about OHV traffic. I really want to run from CB to Marble, as that is where I live, but *really* don't want to have to back up the hill a few miles if I experience oncoming traffic.

-Chris
I wouldn't want to back up either. Last week a LC100 had to backup and went off. Bad situation but truck and drivers are ok. Just not a place you want to find yourself into. You can always take Kebbler to Marble, load up on BBQ there and make your way back via Schofield...? THat's what I would recommend. Just remember to enjoy it as it is a very pretty Pass to enjoy. I recommend to stip at the punch bowl for a quick dipp too.

I grew up in Glenwood Springs, my previous (2008) LX went over Schofield a couple of times on the stock Dunlops and probably a half dozen more times with proper rubber. The steps by the punchbowl can be intimidating but the wheel base of the 200 makes it pretty easy. Is Slow Groovin BBQ in Marble still around? That place is/was amazing

Last edited:
Congrats! I grew up in the area and just recently moved to ID. There is a really neat way to connect some logging roads and 4X4 trails from Paonia to Glenwood and a bunch of other lesser known routes out there that don't see quite the traffic Schofield, Pearl, Taylor, etc do.

If you are a mountain biker you just moved to Heaven. The 401 Trail is one of my favorite rides in the whole country, but there are a million other amazing routes there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom