Schofield Pass... In an LC200...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks amazing! Doesn't look like it's too narrow...it doesn't look like it's as narrow as what I've heard about Webster Pass. Definitely adding it to the list of places to run.

That looks amazing! Doesn't look like it's too narrow...it doesn't look like it's as narrow as what I've heard about Webster Pass. Definitely adding it to the list of places to run.

I didn't think it was that bad either. But again, that's me. Note. At the end of the trail toward Crested Butte, it is narrow between those two bolders.

Would love to see other LC200 have at it!

Looks doable too. I have to say, Schofield has a couple of very narrow off camber sections... Then again an FJ Cruiser tumbled down the pass two days before we ran it.

Yeah, it's not that Webster is difficult, it's that it gets really narrow. I would check remaining snow too, last couple of reports still had it blocked.

Yeah, it's not that Webster is difficult, it's that it gets really narrow. I would check remaining snow too, last couple of reports still had it blocked.

I've done most of the 4x4 trails near Webster, including Radical Hill which I won't do again. Webster is easy from Montezuma to the pass. The section from the top of the pass going south towards 285 is where it has narrow spots. We started on Webster Pass last year from 285 but turned around due to the narrow section. We didn't have good tires at the time. I've met a few who've done it and they said it's probably easier to do it from north to south because at the narrow section the driver is on the exposed side and can be sure the front tires stay on the trail.

I've done most of the 4x4 trails near Webster, including Radical Hill which I won't do again. Webster is easy from Montezuma to the pass. The section from the top of the pass going south towards 285 is where it has narrow spots. We started on Webster Pass last year from 285 but turned around due to the narrow section. We didn't have good tires at the time. I've met a few who've done it and they said it's probably easier to do it from north to south because at the narrow section the driver is on the exposed side and can be sure the front tires stay on the trail.

That makes sense, what was wrong with Radical? Did you do Redcone in a 200? I've run North and Middle Fork and Saints John in the area (along with some others near Montezuma), but those couple have always given me pause in something as large as the 200. That being said I got plenty of pretty pinstripes on Chihuahua Gulch.

That makes sense, what was wrong with Radical? Did you do Redcone in a 200? I've run North and Middle Fork and Saints John in the area (along with some others near Montezuma), but those couple have always given me pause in something as large as the 200. That being said I got plenty of pretty pinstripes on Chihuahua Gulch.

I've done Red Cone a couple times in a 200, but I really don't like going down Webster Pass. It's narrow, and there always seems to be issues with people not paying attention and trying to go up the trail when someone is already coming down. It is literally impossible to pass, so someone then has a long way to back down or back up and it's not fun.

Schofield looks pretty similar, but it looks harder to see trail traffic ahead. I'd definitely like to run it some time! Nice pics and report @LC200TX !

I did Radical Hill in a 2001 4Runner. The top part of the trail, where it meets to trail going towards Montezume, is steep and the switchback near there is tight. I took the trail from the top. When I ventured down it, and before I could go around the switchback, things from the cargo hold came rumbling forward. There are a few sections where there is steep exposure and the trail is very narrow. On one section I had to place the tires (cliff side) on a boulder that protrudes onto the trail so I wouldn't end up in the hospital.

As I was descending Radical Hill, I noticed vehicles below were gathering. There was one, then two, then in about 20 mins there was about 10-12 vehicles. The drivers stayed at the vehicles. I wondered what they were doing. When I came to the bottom where they had parked, one of the guys in those vehicles came up to me and said everyone was taking bets to see if I would roll or not. He was the only one to bet I would make it and that he rarely sees vehicles come down the trail.

We did Saints John last year in our 2008 cruiser, the full loop to Glacier mountain, to the trail that goes to Breck (North fork?), by the top of Radical Hill, then back to Montezuma. It's easy for the cruiser but you need good tires because a few parts are steep, not dangerous, just steep and lots of loose rock.

I've never done Redcone. I'd like to one day but the trail from 285 up to the top or Redcone may have potential for body scratches/damage. I'll need to do more research before I go. I did Santa Fe Peak in the 4runner. Phenomenal views. Mostly easy. If you don't like heights then don't go.

I got a few pinstripes last year on Pole Creek from the Creede highway side. Easy trail but way too many tree branches. So I hear ya...

Last edited:
I've done Red Cone a couple times in a 200, but I really don't like going down Webster Pass. It's narrow, and there always seems to be issues with people not paying attention and trying to go up the trail when someone is already coming down. It is literally impossible to pass, so someone then has a long way to back down or back up and it's not fun.
@LC200TX !
Yeah, I second this. Unlike a lot of trails I've done in CO, Webster has long narrow section where backing up will be more than the usual 5-20 feet, and it won't be enjoyable... especially if you have go backwards through the narrow sections.

Reactions: HGB
I did Radical Hill in a 2001 4Runner. The top part of the trail, where it meets to trail going towards Montezume, is steep and the switchback near there is tight. I took the trail from the top. When I ventured down it, and before I could go around the switchback, things from the cargo hold came rumbling forward. There are a few sections where there is steep exposure and the trail is very narrow. On one section I had to place the tires (cliff side) on a boulder that protrudes onto the trail so I wouldn't end up in the hospital.

As I was descending Radical Hill, I noticed vehicles below were gathering. There was one, then two, then in about 20 mins there was about 10-12 vehicles. The drivers stayed at the vehicles. I wondered what they were doing. When I came to the bottom where they had parked, one of the guys in those vehicles came up to me and said everyone was taking bets to see if I would roll or not. He was the only one to bet I would make it and that he rarely sees vehicles come down the trail.

We did Saints John last year in our 2008 cruiser, the full loop to Glacier mountain, to the trail that goes to Breck (North fork?), by the top of Radical Hill, then back to Montezuma. It's easy for the cruiser but you need good tires because a few parts are steep, not dangerous, just steep and lots of loose rock.

I've never done Redcone. I'd like to one day but the trail from 285 up to the top or Redcone may have potential for body scratches/damage. I'll need to do more research before I go. I did Santa Fe Peak in the 4runner. Phenomenal views. Mostly easy. If you don't like heights then don't go.

I got a few pinstripes last year on Pole Creek from the Creede highway side. Easy trail but way too many tree branches. So I hear ya...

Sounds about right, we did the same connecting Saints John to Middle Fork- I will say it was mighty snug in the V trough though. (And a little off camber)

Screenshot_20200806-230051_Photos.jpg

Sounds about right, we did the same connecting Saints John to Middle Fork- I will say it was mighty snug in the V trough though. (And a little off camber)

View attachment 2396056

I know that spot! This is from the 2017 LCDC in Breck around the same area. It was raining and had been hailing right before we came down this which made it extra interesting. I think 1 or 2 of the 200s in our group saw a little damage on this hill. It was more like a bobsled track than a trail at that point with the rain and mud!

ACtC-3fT65QwTVdwMEzP21CNDY-GCuNOTHIdUGO59lv1aVxDAZIAjnwc9PDA62Z6ptiv85lyZUlRn86PapD6-p5VY5_toeHuUqvKYSWzoeCn9HS0V4VzaZMM5qmhZ7Ad-NyOn7Cv1cQiEET0dF6mm6447MEs=w750-h937-no

I know that spot! This is from the 2017 LCDC in Breck around the same area. It was raining and had been hailing right before we came down this which made it extra interesting. I think 1 or 2 of the 200s in our group saw a little damage on this hill. It was more like a bobsled track than a trail at that point with the rain and mud!

ACtC-3fT65QwTVdwMEzP21CNDY-GCuNOTHIdUGO59lv1aVxDAZIAjnwc9PDA62Z6ptiv85lyZUlRn86PapD6-p5VY5_toeHuUqvKYSWzoeCn9HS0V4VzaZMM5qmhZ7Ad-NyOn7Cv1cQiEET0dF6mm6447MEs=w750-h937-no

Oh my! I was quite thankful it was dry, but was dreading any uphill traffic and needing to back up!

I did Red Cone with @mcgaskins leading in 2017. Other than a fist-sized dent in my rear bumper corner from a tall rock in the rock garden, no damage. I think everyone else was unscathed. In hindsight stacking a couple rocks probably would've saved the battle scar.

At the bottom of Red Cone we went right. I think Webster Pass is to the left. That way out was no big deal

1596815522836.png

I recall doing Handcart Gulch to Webster Pass during LCDC Breck... that pinch point is probably the narrowest piece of road I've driven. I remember hearing "just keep going forward, most of your tire is still on the trail" on the radio.

@TonyP still doesn't talk about that section.

I did Red Cone with @mcgaskins leading in 2017. Other than a fist-sized dent in my rear bumper corner from a tall rock in the rock garden, no damage. I think everyone else was unscathed. In hindsight stacking a couple rocks probably would've saved the battle scar.

At the bottom of Red Cone we went right. I think Webster Pass is to the left. That way out was no big deal

View attachment 2396324

I've got that same dent from T33 this year during LCDC....pretty sure similar situation of more patience would have helped, but now a good reason to talk with Ben and the Dissent guys!

I've got that same dent from T33 this year during LCDC....pretty sure similar situation of more patience would have helped, but now a good reason to talk with Ben and the Dissent guys!
I've had mine 4 years. I thought it might be the catalyst for me to get a rear, but when towing with the family I carry soooo much weight already adding more and then hanging it off the bumper just seems like a bad idea.

I've had mine 4 years. I thought it might be the catalyst for me to get a rear, but when towing with the family I carry soooo much weight already adding more and then hanging it off the bumper just seems like a bad idea.

Yeah....I guess that's part of the appeal with the Dissent one being aluminum (especially for the AHC), but I'm not towing as much either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom