saginaw conversion, but what to do with the radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having trouble figuring out what to do here!!!!
I bought a new radiator from howe performance, great product, but how do I get proper air flow through it? My perdicament is that the motor is sitting on Matt Bier mounts and sitting kinda low so it doesnt line up with the radiator very well. And if i drop the radiator into the frame rails (recess) I cant run the saginaw conversion. Or can I? Do I go with electric fans? Will they cool a sbc? Someone has had to run into this. Can U help?

many people have electric fans that work great.. Others prefer mechanical..

If you build a custom shroud that channels the air down to your fan you will be fine.. Photos will help..
even if the fan dose not cover the entire radiator it should do its job..

or you could do a scout Power steering box and lower your radiator

Camcruiser, yer up...... Taurus Fan

I run the same motor mounts, I shifted my radiator support to the driverside and made a new lower radiator brackets to use the stock Toyota fan. Be care because the fan blade is one inch from the lower radiator hose.

I had the exact same situation. I had the SBC in originally with the old Downey front saddle mount. Changed to the Matt Bier mounts so as to make it easy to add the power steering. The new mounts lowered the engine. The flex fan I was using was going to hit the lower rad hose. Rather then lower the radiator which looked like a bad move from an airflow point of view, I went with a Volvo electric fan. I got mine from a seller on ebay. They were dealer takeoffs. It seems the Volvo fan had a built in relay/fan speed control that was built in to the shroud. The dealer was replacing the entire unit. The reseller just removed the relay/control from the fan, which left the hot and ground wires. The shroud was almost a perfect fit for the stock radiator. I hooked it up with some relays, temp switch and on/off control. It works great. It is a little slimmer then a Taurus fan so I have a little more room between the engine and fan. Can't remember how many cfms the fan was rated, but when it comes on it sounds like a jet engine. It will suck your shirt into the grill if you are standing close to the front ot the truckl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom