Safety on Highway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all,

9 years ago I took my 62 to the southern Arizona border and northern Mexico for a great week of photos and filming.

This memorial weekend I would like to take it back for a follow up. Only issues is it is now 9 years older. I've kept up on tranny and engine and other critical parts, the breaks are in good shape and it has new tires.

But the suspension is worn out. Especially the rear. Almost totally flat. Practically concave.

With myself and two others plus war does the suspension and age make it dangerous to travel 1500 miles on a highway. These days I manually drove it in town to the dirt. Am I being silly or realistic?

Thank you for your comments and thoughts!

It won't be dangerous, just a harsh ride. The bump stops will be your suspension. There isnt much strain on flattened springs because the bump stops take all the force.

I drove 5000 miles with a broken shock cross member, shocks that didn't move because there was nothing to attach them to, leaf springs that were inverted and very worn bushings in the rear suspension.

Treat it gently, be mindful of your load and you'll be fine.

i drove 4000km with a loaded truck and a pregnant wife to move for school. once there found i had broken both secondary leafs in the rear spring packs and the third leaf in one of them. yes harsh ride but no safety issues. she hated it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom