Rust prevention(road salt) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm throwing this question onto the Mud in hopes of preventing rust on my 60. I live in Colorado Springs ,CO, The city is raising the salt content from 6% to 20% in the sand they put out on the road come winter time. Any suggestions on how to prevent/minimize the effect this will have on my truck. As of yet I have very little rust and would like to keep it that way(I think it has been in Co from the start not sure though). :confused:

Coat everything with used engine oil.

Buy a beater, and don't drive it! If you can't do that, coat it with "Fluid Film".

Zack

As someone said, don't drive it if you don't have to. And if you do, get it shot with oil underneath. In Canada, there are a number of companies which are specialized in producing undercoating oil (very thin, creeps into the smallest cracks, sticks well to rust and metal). Rust Check and Krown are two national chains. Perhaps there is one near you? I would greatly recommend them. They drill holes at key places to shoot oil in all the body cavities, door bottoms, rockers, etc. It's designed for an annual treatment in the fall, and costs $100-120. Very cheap, compared to the ravages that road salt can inflict on a car chassis.:frown:

Shooting used engine oil is not recommended (acids in the oil). A good homegrown recipe is chainsaw oil thinned out with kerosene and shot under with a spray gun. I much prefer going to my local Krown shop and they do the dirty work. I park my truck in the street for a couple of days because the excess oil drips.:D

Good luck.

More on Fluid Film:

http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/applications/automotive.html

I just bought the 1 gallon container from this guy on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150174640158

And I also got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AIRLESS-PAINT-SPRAYER-GUN-WHOLESALE-REMODELING-TOOLS_W0QQitemZ230184417005QQihZ013QQ

At first I bought 3 spray cans, but they only lasted to coat the wheel wells and the frame somewhat. I hope to bathe the whole underside now, once I get the two above.

It's a rust preventative oil. It does work great. I think it is sold at most John Deere dealers. Try it!

Zack

I've been curious to try an electronic rust inhibitor and see if that would help slow down the rust forming on my 62. Haven't researched it mu lately though. Been too busy with other stuff.

The other thing that helps is to wash your truck a lot.

Use a high pressure sprayer to get under the truck.

Not sure what happens to any oils that you had sprayed.

Cleaning your frame and using POR or other undercoating will help also.

Whatever you do, DON'T apply any kind of rubberized undercoating to the underside of your truck (been there, done that, regretted it). That stuff works well for a couple of years, then starts cracking and flaking, and the salt and water get underneath it and start to rust away the metal underneath without you seeing it or being able to do much about it. It's much better to apply the annual oil-based treatments which seep into the crevices and cover the metal with an oily film that prevents salt-laden water to have accesss to the metal surface. As someone else said, wash your truck frequently in the winter, if you can. Especially the nooks and crannies where slow/slush/salt can sit and do its nasty work. And if you can get that oil sprayed INSIDE your frame too, that is good, as the frame can rust from the inside and outside (you'll notice a lot of flaky stuff inside if it's rusting from inside).

About those electronic rust-prevention devices, I'm a real sceptic when it comes to that...

Good luck holding off the rust demons.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom