Rust on Undercarriage - Need Feedback pleas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering buying this LX, its in excellent condition, 123k miles, but comes from the northeast. I live in NC, would love some feedback on the level of rust on the undercarriage as i am considering this for a daily driver. Thanks

0263BB5D-9A09-488C-AFEB-31A362043094.jpeg

BC23E5B5-DF59-41E3-AAA6-63792D8FFAFD.jpeg

D74D62B5-1AFE-4DB4-9381-604AB35B5E84.jpeg

F8572D51-B6C5-4176-AD6D-2FC2E9D2DA6F.jpeg

732F3E84-CF12-4625-8DAB-A2380192C4EE.jpeg

I looked at a many good condition- otherwise GX's from the Northeast that looked very similar underneath.

My $0.02....

-Due to the fact that I personally would be doing all maintenance/modifications/wrenching myself I didn't want to deal with rusty stuff, bastard exhaust bolts..etc.

-I also considered how "they" drive up North as a whole... I hope I don't get flamed too much for this, but if you have ever driven North of Maryland you understand people are hard on vehicles "as a whole".

-I am very particular and wanted an undercarriage as clean as the rest of the vehicle...so I decided to pass on many otherwise clean GX's.

With all that being said, these things are built like tanks and I doubt that the amount of rust shown would ever cause any failures during your ownership...

Although if I were to buy one like this I would get truck off the ground, wire brush it, de-grease it, and POR 15 everything underneath to kill the rust.

If you take away anything from that ^ Please Remember the POR 15.

I looked at a many good condition- otherwise GX's from the Northeast that looked very similar underneath.

My $0.02....

-Due to the fact that I personally would be doing all maintenance/modifications/wrenching myself I didn't want to deal with rusty stuff, bastard exhaust bolts..etc.

-I also considered how "they" drive up North as a whole... I hope I don't get flamed too much for this, but if you have ever driven North of Maryland you understand people are hard on vehicles "as a whole".

-I am very particular and wanted an undercarriage as clean as the rest of the vehicle...so I decided to pass on many otherwise clean GX's.

With all that being said, these things are built like tanks and I doubt that the amount of rust shown would ever cause any failures during your ownership...

Although if I were to buy one like this I would get truck off the ground, wire brush it, de-grease it, and POR 15 everything underneath to kill the rust.
Great feedback, thank you

Looks like surface rust to me. Check where the rear control arms mount to the frame and check the frame around the firewall to make sure there’s no rot.

I bought mine in upstate NY and it looks very similar. The I’ve been spot treating it for a couple of years now and it doesn’t seem to be getting worse. I’ve tried rust converter and rust encapsulator but it comes back every year. I’ve lived up north my whole life and have seem much worse, so I’m not overly concerned. Fluid Film is your friend.

It's a long way from dying, but it will suck to work on.

I’m in the NE and that could be the undercarriage of a 3-10 yr old vehicle. It’s not bad IMO, little TLC lots of Fluid Film and she’ll be good as new. PB Blaster will be your new best friend as well.
+1 for drivers... I live and we all suck, like Mad Max every day trying to get to work!

I recently bought a low mileage GX with some undercarriage rust for a great price. I completely regret not just saddling up and finding a rust free vehicle. They’re out there and it’s worth the hassle to find one if you plan to keep it for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom