Rust on GX 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a 2018 GX 460. I have noticed some rust undercarriage . I would like to know your feedback if this is ignorable rust or should i pass on this car. Thanks in advance.

I have posted the same concern in the paint and body forum as well : Rust on 2018 GX - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rust-on-2018-gx.1267276/

Thanks in advance.

Image from iOS (2).jpg
Image from iOS (1).jpg
Image from iOS (3).jpg
Image from iOS (4).jpg
Image from iOS.jpg

That’s very minor surface rust. Where are you located? Look along the rear where the tire meets the back bumper as well as under the front near the radiator supports. These two locations are typically where you’ll find the worst of it. Personally I’d be fine with what is shown in the photos. They make some great products to deal with this as well as prevent future corrosion.

Reactions: r2m
That’s extremely minor. Wouldn’t stop me at all.

:lol: The guys in NJ and MI are like, "oh hey, that's nothing!". (and they're proabaly right). But if you're in CA, why not look for a rust free one? If you do any of your own work, rust is just an extra PITA to deal with. It is all relative. I bought a PA/VA/MD rusty 80 series. Won't do it ever again.

:lol: The guys in NJ and MI are like, "oh hey, that's nothing!". (and they're proabaly right). But if you're in CA, why not look for a rust free one? If you do any of your own work, rust is just an extra PITA to deal with. It is all relative. I bought a PA/VA/MD rusty 80 series. Won't do it ever again.
Now look here

So my son in law is a Ford mechanic, and i asked him how he deals with rust. The answer was, "inductive heat gun" to heat up rusted bolts so they don't snap off every time. They work (when you can access the bolt), but man, they aren't cheap...

Looks very, very minor and what would be expected with anything close to the coast.
As long as there aren't any rusted bolts, which I didn't see any in your pic's, you're golden!
If you do pull the trigger on it and the rust is still bothering you, just get a brass wire brush or brass wire wheel on the end of your drill and take off all the rust, then spray with WD40 or equal.

That rust is not bad at all and could easily be stopped with an annual application of Fluid Film or Woolwax undercoating.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I agree the rust is not a big deal but i had to let this GX pass along. Some of the bolts are rusted as well which i didn't capture in the pictures thinking its not a big deal. but after reading other inputs and i myself experienced rusted bolts on a subaru, its pain if the bolts get broken.

Hoping to find one without any rust to start with. May be after a few months search i might learn that i cant avoid some rust and will probably jump on similar condition GX. Lets see.

The inputs will become so valuable for making next decisions.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I agree the rust is not a big deal but i had to let this GX pass along. Some of the bolts are rusted as well which i didn't capture in the pictures thinking its not a big deal. but after reading other inputs and i myself experienced rusted bolts on a subaru, its pain if the bolts get broken.

Hoping to find one without any rust to start with. May be after a few months search i might learn that i cant avoid some rust and will probably jump on similar condition GX. Lets see.

And when i called up a few body shops if they work on treating rusted frames in Bay Area, they brushed off saying we dont see those problems here and wont have any know-how on how to fix or repair. .. Not a problem for the GX i had pictures but in general if we are not handy, its hard to treat rusted frames in California.

Coming from someone in rust belt. That can easily be converted with fluid film. That is pretty insignificant rust and I used to live in WA, there is still rust in the northern climate areas from rain and salt water exposure although minor. Personally that would not stop me if the rest is exactly what you're looking for and the price is right. Definitely don't use that as a deterrent for the rest of the vehicle if it fits your criteria.

The fasteners don't look bad at all and most of the coating is intact. Fluid Film can be applied as a very easy from either spray cans or a $50 air compressor, $90 spray gun, and $50 gallon of the product. Even if you brought a brand new one with zero rust and plan on using it in any condition other than desert driving with zero salt exposure, I'd still Fluid Film the GX on an annual basis to keep it from ever rusting. Toyota frame coating still suck.

I am also looking at a GX460 2018 with the same amount of rust. Maybe I am just making a mountain out of a mole hill. I roll over and look under my Tundra and see NO rust at all. I guess some of us keep out trucks clean when it has been in a salt enviroment. I am nervous but I agree this is not bad rust. I just plan to keep my GX460 for many years and don't want issues down the road....

Look at the thread on the crusty truck in my signature. That is the level of rust to be concerned about.
The stuff you posted is so easily remediated its not even worth asking about.

Now look here
@VSPro9 no respect these days!

Sorry to revive this thread, but was looking at 2010 GX 460, and the dealership sent me this video. Specifically, my concern was the frame corrosion at 0:26 seconds.

Is this okay, or is this like a serious issue?

I would be somewhat concerned with that GX. The worst spots these rust are (1) on the passenger side frame rail just behind the rear tire and (2) on the core support. Both looked to potentially be pretty rusty from the video. It was hard to tell if the rust on the bottom side of the passenger frame rail was surficial or something else. I would want to give that GX a very thorough inspection (including looking inside the frame with an inspection camera and probing multiple areas to see if there are any holes/soft spots) to see how bad it really is. The inside of the passenger side frame can get really bad in that area due to water from the AC system dripping right onto the top of the frame and getting inside it. Either way, it looks like it was never undercoated and probably didn't get washed often during the winter.

Also most of the fasteners are pretty rusty, but you should be used to that being from NJ :). It will make it a bit more difficult to work on that but can be dealt with if you have the tools or an mechanic used to working with rusty stuff.

Thanks for that great rundown. I had a mechanic check it out and he did indicate that the right frame had some corrosion and it needed repair and that the radiator support needed repair -meaning it wasn't terrible, but did need fixing. He suggested the dealership repairs it, which when I told the dealership, they said they won't do. I am wondering if I can just buy it and have it fixed, but doesn't seem like anyone does rust repair like this anymore. Might have to learn how to weld myself if I buy it!

Unless it is a great deal I'd probably pass on it. Nothing wrong with some surface rust, but true Toyota frame rot is very hard to stop once started.

Another good spot to check are the rear upper door hinges. I’ve seen rigs with less than 50k have rusted out bolts up there. (NY/NJ area) . Yet another reason to travel for purchase. Got my rig in GA.
I’ll also throw my 2c in, I’m not a big fan of fluid film or wool wax, if you work on your own rig, the sticky residue from the spray products gets allllll over you. I prefer wire wheeling the rust, then painting it with a high quality paint, meant to seal rust. I try and do this yearly. Plus lots of washings in the winter. I’ve been debating getting an undercarriage pressure washer attachment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom