Running Fog Independent of Headlight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may very well just add a relay and switch outside of this so I can turn on/off the fogs and avoid additional complexity here.

That's what I would recommend. Remove the FR FOG relay and plug in some spade terminals to the sockets at pins 3 and 5 and connect to your own external relay and switch it however you would like. That way you will have full independent control, no factory wiring is cut or modified, and can easily go back to stock just by plugging the factory relay back in.

Last edited:
Looks like he did the equivalent of tapping FFOG and using that to control his relay. Should also work on our trucks but the same caveats about sending the relay coil current through the factory switch still apply.

In another thread I found that an owner used the "bent-relay" method and tapped power from the heated seat fuse position to power the FFOG relay thereby giving FFOG power whenever the electrical system is energized using the factory stalk switch. When you look at the picture, all you need to add is a spade terminal where the blue wire connector is. Has anyone used this method to date, I'm looking at doing it this way this coming weekend?

Piggyback_Fuse_Holder.jpeg

That strategy works in other models. Not ours unfortunately.

Knowing
1) FR FOG Pin 2 is not powered until the rear tail lights (parking lights) come on
2) FR FOG Pin 1 is not grounded until the headlights come on

Even if we solve #1 by jumpering power from a constant 12V source. #2 is the more constraining logic as the relay is not powered (via grounding) until the headlights come on.

I did actually solve it this past weekend but not in a general way I was hoping for. Used an overkill solution. I simulated and overrode the FR FOG function with an external swithbox - Switchpros. Fog stalk switch functions as stock, but now I have an button on the Switchpros to override and turn them on at anytime. Best part in the overkill solution is that it also addresses another riddle - keep fogs on even with high beams. I'll document later with pics.

Last edited:

Knowing
1) FR FOG Pin 2 is not powered until the rear tail lights come on

Even if we solve #1 by jumpering power from a constant 12V source. #2 is the more constraining logic as the relay is not powered (via grounding) until the headlights come on.

I did actually solve it this past weekend but not in a general way I was hoping for. Used an overkill solution. I simulated and overrode the FR FOG function with an external swithbox - Switchpros. Fog stalk switch functions as stock, and now I have an extra button on the Switchpros to override and turn them on at anytime. Best part in the overkill solution is that it also addresses another riddle - keep fogs on even with high beams. I'll document later with pics.

The deeper I go into the J200 the more sophisticated it gets...looking forward to your pics!

Many thanks!

Thinking about a simplified solution...

Yeah, it's pretty overkill in how they implemented it. Unsure why, but if I had to guess, there's variations in laws around the world that dictate some of the lighting logic. By controlling it largely within the body ECU, there's opportunity to allow permutations of that logic via software.

The easy button to modify this is really to just add another fog light switch. Which is fundamentally what I've done with the Switchpros.

Add a fog light circuit/switch that controls a +12V lead. Fused for 15 amps. Tap that wire into the FR FOG #3 contact to power the fog light directly. Easy to just pinch the wire into the contact while putting the relay in place. The switch will have full authority to turn off/on the fog as its powering the fogs directly. Stock stalk switch will continue to work as normal if the other switch is not turned on.

1594167557831.png

1594167590168.png

Last edited:
Thinking about a simplified solution...

Yeah, it's pretty overkill in how they implemented it. Unsure why, but if I had to guess, there's variations in laws around the world that dictate some of the lighting logic. By controlling it largely within the body ECU, there's opportunity to allow permutations of that logic via software.

The easy button to modify this is really to just add another fog light switch. Which is fundamentally what I've done with the Switchpros.

Add a fog light circuit/switch that controls a +12V lead. Fused for 15 amps. Tap that wire into the FR FOG #3 contact to power the fog light directly. Easy to just pinch the wire into the contact while putting the relay in place. The switch will have full authority to turn off/on the fog as its powering the fogs directly. Stock stalk switch will continue to work as normal if the other switch is not turned on.

@TeCKis300; Can you provide a picture of the insertion/pinch into the FFOG #3 connector and how you've installed/added the SwitchPro panel and wiring harness? I'm looking into how much effort/intrusion adding a SwitchPro to my rig and need some perspective and guidance.

You got it. I created a SwitchPros specific thread and forgot to link back. With the SwitchPros, I remove the stock FR FOG relay completely and utilize it's internal triggering logic to simulate FR FOG. This has the added benefit of SwitchPros having full authority to always know the state of the fogs, turn on, but also off at anytime. Here you go...

Last edited:
@TeCKis300 Did I read it right that you are triggering on active low, tapping the trigger input into relay 7 pin 1? If so, I am totally copying you. I'll trigger off trigger 2 (white wire) since I am already using trigger 1 (pink wire) for reverse lights. Thank you!!

^You got it. :)

OK... since you guys are on this subject and have clearly done the heavy lifting, I have a simple question...

The fog light is a H 11 bulb... Correct?

Which LED bulbs have you found to be a simple "plug-n-play" replacement that give off a good white light & beam pattern???

Thank you!!!

I ditched the factory fog lenses and installed BD Squadron LEDs. Led bulbs in the factory housing had way too much scatter.

I ditched the factory fog lenses and installed BD Squadron LEDs. Led bulbs in the factory housing had way too much scatter.

Thanks CharlieS,

Those BD Squadron lights look awesome but,

I think those might be a little bit of an over kill to conquer the Nordstrom's Parking garage on mall crawl patrol... LOL!!!

I just wanted to see if someone had any success with a simple H11(?) LED bulb replacement to get rid of the yellowish hue light from the stock bulbs.

I've searched here on MUD, but not having much luck...

I've found some H11's on CARiD for about $20.00 a piece...

That's about the level of complexity I'm looking for at this point...

Peace...

Thanks CharlieS,

I think those might be a little bit of an over kill to conquer the Nordstrom's Parking garage on mall crawl patrol... LOL!!!

I just wanted to see if someone had any success with a simple H11(?) LED bulb replacement to get rid of the yellowish hue light from the stock bulbs.

Peace...

I've swapped mine over to LED bulbs and happy with it. I got mine of Amazon, company is CougarMotor. They offer a "fog light/DRL" which won't be as bright. But if you get the driving light like this you'll have a lot of light output compared to their fog version. CougarMotor H11

I can't confirm that your '13 LC200 uses H11s. My '09 LX does, and the fog light fixtures are standard reflector based housings.

I replaced my fogs with H11 LEDs and I am very satisfied with the improvement and impact. Tons of flood pattern light. To the sides and immediately ahead. It may scatter more, but it does put out a ton more light where I want it from the fogs.

CharlieS makes a good point and I am also adding an aftermarket LED fixture. Now that I have independent control of the stock fogs, along with stock headlights, and high beams (all upgraded with high power H11 LEDS), I have no want for more normal pattern lighting. It's plenty bright and covers flood, driving, and high beams well. The only pattern I don't have is extreme throw spots. That's where the aftermarket higher power LED fixtures come in - Rigid D-Series Pro spots.

Thanks afgman786 !!! They are already in my basket... Now, I just have to borrow $40.00 from my wife... LOL...

TeCKis300, All those powerful fog LED's are impressive...

Hopefully, I'll catch some ambition at some point and get some, but sadly right now living the suburban life, I would just piss other drivers off and really not be able to use them much.

Normal summers we would be in northern Michigan a lot and I could justify installing them- To keeping the deer from attacking the car... not this year :-(

Thanks CharlieS,

Peace...
I have a set of Hikari LED replacements you can have. They pop right in and are bright. I only removed them to put in the BDs. Private message me if you wan them.

One nice thing about the Switchpro is you can dim the lights. My switch panel is at Switchpros right now for an upgrade (reflash) so it will preserve the dimmer setting. That has been the only gap I've had with it, and they offered the upgrade for a nominal fee. New production (Q2-2020) 9100 series already have this from the factory.

Last edited:
Thanks CharlieS,

I greatly appreciate the offer of the Hikari's, that is VERY kind of you to offer...

I'm gonna leave the purchase for the other bulbs on my wife's account so she can see CougarMotor on her CC...

...what is this ???

LOL !!!

Knowing
1) FR FOG Pin 2 is not powered until the rear tail lights (parking lights) come on

I did actually solve it this past weekend but not in a general way I was hoping for. Used an overkill solution. I simulated and overrode the FR FOG function with an external swithbox - Switchpros. Fog stalk switch functions as stock, but now I have an button on the Switchpros to override and turn them on at anytime. Best part in the overkill solution is that it also addresses another riddle - keep fogs on even with high beams. I'll document later with pics.
So as we know, the mod done in the 4Runner does not work in the 200. The one where you just tap into 12v and run it to the fog relay.

I like to run parking lights and fog lights, no low beams, when it's dusk and/or foggy out etc.

With the logic above, could I not just ground out pin 1 to make the fog relay think the headlights are always on? Therefore resulting in independent fog like operation as long as the parking lights are on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom