running bad when hot (not my indian name) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thats enough to go SBC or LS1 or 302 with change left over

That is what I was thinking! Glad to see that I am not the only one.

I was told that TLC was expensive, but man, that was a real shock to me.

Now he told me that the manifold could not (should not) be machined, you have to replace it. Is he just blowing smoke up my @ss to get more money out of me, or what?

Gunnar

FWIW - used intake/exhaust manifold combo for "Arnold" (78 FJ55 w/ Cali emissions) ran $500 but took some time to find - thanks Mark A. Jim C carb rebuild $300 - 3-4 weeks depending on work back log. Misc gaskets and new EGR tube $150. Head and manifolds machining $250 approx. $200 for freight = $1400. No labor included here there's no way that it will take $4200 in labor.

A cheaper solution is to try double intake/exhaust manifold gaskets (SOR gets $25 ea) as long as the manifolds aren't cracked. If either is cracked - see above.

im going thru exhaust manifold hell as well, buttt.....if I was in your spot...I would....

Machine it and see how close you can get it, if its still kinda off double gasket it.
and rebuild the carb from a full kit from CCOT, get the felpro gaskets from a local joint for 12 bucks a shot. As for machining it, I am getting my manifold machined tomorrow and was quoted 35 dollars...

so the total would be 25 for both gaskets, 40 to get machined, another 20 for the other gaskets (donut & EGR)..and rebuild kit for the carb (30)...that puts you in a little over a 100 bucks, just shy of $5,600... :)

That is what I was thinking! Glad to see that I am not the only one.

I was told that TLC was expensive, but man, that was a real shock to me.

Now he told me that the manifold could not (should not) be machined, you have to replace it. Is he just blowing smoke up my @ss to get more money out of me, or what?

Gunnar

toad,
exhuast manifolds CAN be machined, but only if it's slightly warped.
when i was working for nissan, we use to send dozens if not hundreds of manifolds for pathfinders out....not a problem.

FYI ;)

Not sure if someone already said this but when it gets hot your carb cooling fan should come on. If it doesnt or has loose connection then it may not be working up to par. You carb would heat up and vaporize the fuel that is trying to be sucked into it... VAPOR LOCK. Food for thought.
FISH

Well boys, here we go again. The issue will not go away so I bit the bullet and took it to TLC and got the bad news. My baby has a warped intake/exhaust manifold. AAAARRRRRRRG! Lots of money!

They then went on to tell me that if I let them do the work it would cost me upwards of $5600.00 WTF! He told me $3,000 in parts and the balance in labor! I am not sure what he thinks needs to be replaced, but the exhaust/intake manifold is ONLY $870.00!!!! He told me the carb needs to go as well, that is another $800+, but that only adds up to $1670+, where is the rest that adds up to $3k? Sure it may need some gaskets and have the head resurfaced, but that is not another $1330...is it :flipoff2:

Does this seem expensive to you guys? It does to me. But what do I know, I work at a ford dealer.

Do what lowertide says, pull the manifolds and have them mate resurfaced.

under $200 for everything.

TLC is nuts to ask for almost 6K to do something so easy.

The only way I would seethat price is if a new motor came with it.

Dirty Toad, I am doing the same thing on my '85 right now. I am only about 30 min. from you if you are close to TLC. You can come by and see what I am doing and see how easy it really is. PM me if you need my help. I have serious doubts that they can call your manifold warped without removing it first. If it is indeed warped you dont need to replace just have it machined. I am only into mine for about $80 bucks. I welded the J tube (EGR) and it looks fine to go back in.

Dynosoar

Or take it to K&H Imports in Canoga Park. They are honest guys, and you can talk to Richard (the owner) directly, which is always good.

I thought TLC was a reputable place, not a bunch of mechanic rapists. $ 5,600 is f*cking ridiculous, I don't care HOW you justify it.

That is what I thought. I was told that they were expensive, but wow!

As for the rest of you, thanks! :)

I do know that the cooling fan for the carb is inop, has been for about 5 months now. I will fix that too. But I am glad to here that this will not cost me my first born (she is too cute to give away for car parts).

On a personal note: You guys rock! Thanks to all of you for your advise. Some of you will here from me real soon (pm).

Thanks again.
Gunnar
(the wife is still making me get her a new car)(mazda cx-7, FJ was too small for 2 baby seats and double wide stoller, and we have an off roader anyways)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom