running bad after new cat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:censor: Had my 85 FJ60 for about 2 months now trying to get it to pass California emissions test FAIL, GROSS POLLUTER. It ran great before the test but rich, and after replacing the CAT it developed a stumble when coasting or during light throttle application in all gears, but the exhaust smells clean. I rebuilt the carburator this weekend ( big mistake) and now I have developed a vacuum leak around the carb base, drivers side, and the idle fluctuates between 650-1000 rpm after driving it. I followed the instructions in the FSM, float level is good, vacuum hoses are hooked up right. Basically runs like krapp at idle and low speeds, acceleration is great. I havn't done a retest at the smog station yet because I want it running proper.:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I think I goofed up the carb rebuild. Who is this jimc guy? Person or shop? S.O.S Need help in California. I'm about ready to sell it, get my money back and put it in my Heep.

where in CA are you? Mark A is in Burbank and works wonders, call and leave a message if no answer
818-953-9230

JimC is a person (mud username is FJ40JIM) that has a shop in Ohio. He rebuilds carburetors and does other work associated with Land Cruisers.

I don't see how installing a CAT would effect how the truck runs, unless there is a big difference in back pressure, old vs. new. If anything there should be less back pressure with an old CAT.

did you replace the vacuum hose? If not were the old ones brittle? if so, you should replace them.

Where are you located in CA? The seller didn't provide you a smog certificate when you bought it?

When the CAT was replaced did they use the Thermo-sensor that goes into it?

You should just take the truck to Mark Algazy, as stated above, in Burbank. He's very busy now with work, but you could give him a call and see what his schedule is.

If you think you buggered the carb rebuild, you have to start there...

Sorry it took so long to get back. I live in North Eastern California, Lassen County, so a trip to Burbank would be a tough one. I got the cruiser in Fallon Nev, which the owner is not responsible for the smog. I replaced all the vacuum lines leading to the carb when I did the rebuild and followed the instructions to a T, and adjusted it according to the FSM.
For some odd reason the darn thing seems to be running great now with only a slight stutter when accelerating in the lower gears. The vacuum leak seemed to be near the base of the carb, on the drivers side, where the "butterfly" shaft is when sprayed with carb cleaner.
Also, I believe the secondary vacuum diaphram is bad because it won't hold vacuum after application with a vacuum tool. Don't know where to gwt a replacement for that.

Anyway, my smog apointment is on the 27th so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope the new CAT takes care of the HIGH HC and CO problem, and work out the details later.

Also, I believe the secondary vacuum diaphram is bad because it won't hold vacuum after application with a vacuum tool. Don't know where to gwt a replacement for that.

SOR has these. (spectre off road)

OK, GP and you're gonna work out the details later ... Have fun.

Yes, the thermo sensor was added to the new CAT, and yes, I will work out the details later. I need my tags. My county only requires smog on title transfer, then you're done.

you can get new secondary diaphragms from SOR or Toyota, or maybe even aftermarket--some generic rebuild kits come with secondary diaphragms, but these may not be for the FJ60 carb (generic kits might also service FJ40 carbs of similar vintage).

I'm curious, though, how you can pull a vacuum on the secondary diaphragm since the vacuum port inlet is inside the primary throttle bore/venturi? This diaphragm does not have a vacuum tube nipple. You can put a paper clip on the diaphragm linkage tight against the diaphragm body. Then go for a drive under conditions that should make the secondary open (driving under power up a hill, for example). Check the paper clip. If it has been moved down the linkage, then your secondary is probably working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom