Ruftoys #4- my 'new' 69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I've been going along for the last year and a half now [since I sold my 84 FJ60] thinking that if I were to add another LC to the stable, it would be another FJ60 to replace the one I was really starting to like when I was offered a good price to sell it. I really, REALLY, did not plan on buying another FJ40.

But this one found me! I can't tell you the whole backstory ['cause it's probably headed for Toyota Trails!] but this is a truck I built for a customer over the course of many years, never once even considering the possibility that I would end up owning it.

Original dune beige [except one quarter panel], I have rebuilt the engine, transmission [three on a tree with a Tri-Y header;)] transfer case, front axle, steering, brakes and suspension. She has a 2.5 Pro Comp lift, fresh 235x85x16s [my personal favorite for a 2.5" lift] ConFerr aux tank, full 5x7 roofrack, 4+ rear bumper, full rollcage, sliding windows in the hardtop, and twin storage boxes under modified long jumpseats.

I've got some cleanup work to do on her since she's been mostly sitting the last couple of years [one of the reasons the seller offered her to me] and I'll be driving it to TX for the Lone Star Roundup. Owning this truck after having spent all these years building it for someone else is really an amazing piece of karma.:)
CIMG0305.jpg

Couple more pics
CIMG0303.jpg
CIMG0301.jpg

Interior shot [he pulled out the passenger seat, and I decided to replace it with one from my stash that folds COMPLETELY FLAT:
CIMG0304.jpg

Nice find Mark....WHEN I get one, I also want a 69. No, not because of the reason you guys might think, but because it's the year I was born in. ;)

Looks great man! Love '69s, kinda a one year model of old and new with the last year bib lights and first year rectangular turnsignals.

Very nice addition Mark, what happened to the other white 40 with the auto turbo/350.....

You bringing it to the Round Up?

You bringing it to the Round Up?

That's the plan Jeff. It's gonna be a tight schedule getting it roadtrip-worthy in six weeks with all the other paying projects already in the shop, but I'm game to make it happen, so we'll see.

Started into the brakes today. Nice to see fresh wheel cylinders and HD drums already in place.:cool:

Mark,

Are the the aftermarket sliding side windows? If so do you know were i might go to fine a set?

Thanks Joe

? Has anybody ever made JUST the upper seatback of the bench seat a quick release?

I'm thinking that to get this thing ready for TX next month, I'm gonna build a mini platform in the back that reaches the seat base of the passenger side, and just make the upper cushion removable so I can sleep in there like I did with Ruftoys last year.

Will know more tomorrow.

Best

Mark A.

Mark-

How's this coming along? I'm interested to see what direction you went with the seats/sleeping arrangements.

I've posted up progress in a few other threads around the forum. We had a full day work party at my shop last Saturday, took off the hardtop, drilled out the broken bolts, sanded and resprayed the fiberglass roof panel, installed an overhead console for the stereo and CB, cut down the front bumper, removed and replaced the left front spring hanger, started fitting a hi lift jack mount to the running board and cut both the front fenders open to straighten them.

I'm leaning towards a tent for this trip, as the 'must do' list [dual circuit master cylinder upgrade, steering sector roller bearing replacement, rear brake inspection, etc] is still pretty long.

Best

Mark A.

P.S. I did change the passenger seatback bolts out for knurled knobs.

The stereo is IN!:bounce:

:cheers: on the 69!

Envious. Mine being in pieces and all that!

Hi lift mounted.

Rear u-bolt skid plates mounted.

Satellite radio installed.

Steering box rebuilt.

One fender straightened.

WHY is the list not getting shorter?

:bang:

Guess it's time for an update...or two!

Now that the new Toyota Trails is out, I can tell you that THIS is the cruiser that was christened the Karma Cruiser. All apologies for the article: it was way too personal.

I had a blast in TX with it, but held back a lot of the pics pending publication of the story. So here are a couple [taken by DenMomDeb]:
k2010-03.jpg
k2010-04.JPG

Here's a cool one with my buddy Hendog from the Georgia Cruisers spotting me on Grit Happens:
Texas Round-Up  March2010 454.jpg

Mark

Great looking cruiser!

You don't need to apologize for your article. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom