RTT Mattress Options/Feedback/Experiences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I spent my first night in my TJM Yulara tent and was unimpressed with the mattress comfort. I installed the Tepui sheets, which are fantastic, over the 2.5" foam mattress and both my wife and I had hip pain from the hinge plate area digging in and creating pressure. I've read up on people doing various things from full 4" foam (mixed soft/hard components) to running Xped mattresses to running inflatables (Therm-a-Rest, etc.) UNDER the mattress and everything in between.

I've considered just buying a 2nd RTT mattress and plopping it on top of the one that's in there. I really want to keep the sheets and that seems like it's the easiest option to do so while ensuring it folds properly.

The other option is to buy 2x inflatables to put UNDER the mattress (not sure if they would fit in the cover, probably not) but how would these stay in place as it folds? I don't under stand how a self-inflating mattress works UNDER the standard foam. Do they inflate as they should with weight on top?

Either way, I'm probably going with Tepui's 1/2" thick anti-condensation mat which will also provide some cushion while protecting the air mattresses from the bolt heads on the floor.

when I had my Tepui I upgraded to the "Luxury Mattress" it was far from luxurious but it was a small improvement. Then I put ThermaRest mattress under it and that was actually pretty good. But you had to inflate them and then slide them under.

Now I have a larger EziAwn tent and picked up some much thicker Exped mattresses. Will try this combo for the first time this weekend. I'm pretty confident it will be comfy as the total thickness is 8-9".

I'm looking for some sort of 12v inflation solution as the Exped's take a while and with three total in the big tent I don't want to spend all night setting up.

when I had my Tepui I upgraded to the "Luxury Mattress" it was far from luxurious but it was a small improvement. Then I put ThermaRest mattress under it and that was actually pretty good. But you had to inflate them and then slide them under.

Now I have a larger EziAwn tent and picked up some much thicker Exped mattresses. Will try this combo for the first time this weekend. I'm pretty confident it will be comfy as the total thickness is 8-9".

I'm looking for some sort of 12v inflation solution as the Exped's take a while and with three total in the big tent I don't want to spend all night setting up.

This is what I use on my exped.

This is probably on the more minimal side of solutions but before you think of buying the Tepui anti condensation mat, consider instead buying some Thermarest Solite backpacking pads and tape them down to the aluminum floor with the reflective side facing towards the foam mattress. This essentially does the job of eliminating condensation, but also adds .6” firm padding and the reflective paneling retains heat noticeably well. I’ve used these pads on all 3 of my roof top tents I’ve owned and always suggest it. It also doesn’t add to setup or takedown times and work. Oh and they weigh next to nothing. Also, as a side sleeper myself, sleeping on a thin foam RTT pad vs sleeping on a plush mattress at home, pillows make all the difference, don’t skimp there.
1F224619-97D2-4297-93EB-52B716EACDD7.jpeg

If you want to try spending the same as the cost of a Exped Megamat Duo which I did, then found it difficult
as well for just pressure points and overall comfort. I have a Maggiolina Extreme which came with a 2 1/2” foam,
high quality I’m sure for its type. The new ones allow 3” foam. Problem with inflatables is just that, inflating. The
Exped obviously was too thick so it became a nightly pump up and trying to get it just right.
So I took an expensive chance and went with Tallulay Latex Foam 3” thick. It’s the same high quality foam all
expensive beds use as toppers. I have to say it’s been an experience. Absolutely better than regular foam.
Consistent sleeping surface. I’m 185 lbs and have arthritic hip and opposite side arthritic shoulder so it’s a constant rollover for me each night. But this has been the best sleep I’ve had since it’s directly on top of hard fibreglass floor. Still leaves room for all the bedding.

Does the mattress fold in the middle? You can buy folding mattresses; I use a tri-fold 4" mattress in the back of my 4R (with seats folded) and just leave it folded in the spare closet when I'm not using it. Maybe you can find one that folds in the right place?

I find it hard to get any decent sleep on a mattress thinner than 4".

I have the exact same tent, and also don't love the mattress, as I often get hip pain. I have tried a couple of auto inflate sleeping pads underneath which are OK comfortwise , but a pain to deal with, and lately I just have one heavy sleeping bag that I unzip and sleep on as extra padding. I have considered getting a thick memory foam "mattress topper" and cutting it to fit.

How much mattress thickness do you have now? I’ve wondered how thick the fold over tents have for foam
thickness. If you have 4-5”, then good medium white foam with a 2” latex foam topper would give almost
same comfort as a good bed.

How much mattress thickness do you have now? I’ve wondered how thick the fold over tents have for foam
thickness. If you have 4-5”, then good medium white foam with a 2” latex foam topper would give almost
same comfort as a good bed.
Most RTT mattresses are about 2.5-3", some with mixed density foam, I don't know of any that come with 4-5" mattresses...
I think if it's dense enough to not let you feel the floor, then it's kind of too dense to fold...

I've ordered a queen sized gel memory foam mattress topper from Amazon for $35. It's 1.5" thick and should fit nicely on top to give just a smidgen of support that I need. I've also put the carpet gripper thing underneath for a condensation pad ($15 vs. the $130 Tepui mat) and it helped a bit. I'll report back when I get the queen topper installed.

The existing mattress is 2.5" thick and does fold.

FYI - Another user on the local forum uses cardboard taped together with duct tape and then uses an Exped mat on top (cardboard acts as a condensation mat and prevents the air mattress from pinching in the hinge) and he loves it.

I've ordered a queen sized gel memory foam mattress topper from Amazon for $35. It's 1.5" thick and should fit nicely on top to give just a smidgen of support that I need. I've also put the carpet gripper thing underneath for a condensation pad ($15 vs. the $130 Tepui mat) and it helped a bit. I'll report back when I get the queen topper installed.

The existing mattress is 2.5" thick and does fold.

FYI - Another user on the local forum uses cardboard taped together with duct tape and then uses an Exped mat on top (cardboard acts as a condensation mat and prevents the air mattress from pinching in the hinge) and he loves it.
I installed the queen 1.5" topper. It's nice but I still feel the aluminum hinge to floor transition.
The rug underlay pokes out of the hinge about 2 inches so that isn't working.
I installed some kayak bungee loops on either side of the mattress about a foot from the hinge and a foot from the entrance with some light bungee cords to hold down the bedding and mattress for folding. It stays in place pretty well, only shifts about 6" but that rug underlay still moves and pokes out of the hinge.
Next step is looking at securing those foil backed foam mats to the floors. Not sure what tape would hold long term.

You can feel the hinge transition under your mattress? Sheesh, that doesn’t sound right

I chose a Gordigear Explorer RTT for the 4" mattress and other factors. It turns out it doesn't matter how many inches of crappy stiff foam you stack up, it doesn't make for a better sleeping experience. Just picked up an Exped Megamat and it's the most comfortable I've been in a bed outside of my house. It might add another step to camp setup, but if comfort is crucial it's a good solution.
Thanks for the link on the stuff-sack pump.

You can feel the hinge transition under your mattress? Sheesh, that doesn’t sound right
Yeah, only when I'm on my side. I'm 240lbs and the wife is ***lbs (much lighter) but we both feel it. You can move up a bit and notice the difference.

So after pricing out the foam pads and REI mats and trying to determine how to keep everything in place and what not, I just went back to Plan A and bought the Tepui anti-condensation mat. It finally arrived and although it say's it's 1/2" thick, its not. The material is actually not rubbery either. It's hard plastic and is about 1/4" to 3/4" thick, closer to 1/4" though. The edge is surrounded with a rubber gasket, similar to the door edging on the truck. That part is 1/2" for sure.

It came coiled up in a box and when I pulled it out, it stayed coiled up. It's quite rigid. I'll have to sit it out in the sun for a bit to get it to lay flat then I can put it in the tent. I'm not sure if it will lie flat when the tent is opened after being stored for a while but I'll find out next week and post back results.

This mat will give me a nice even floor now and I won't be able to feel the hinge at all. So far I'll have this mat, the OEM 60mm (2.5") mattress and a 1.5" gel foam wavy topper. I think that will suffice nicely.

If I ever get $500 laying around without a purpose, I'll jump on that Exped Mat for sure.

I went ahead with the Tepui Anti-condensation mat and am pretty happy with the result. I laid the mat in the AZ sun for about 2 hours, pinning down the ends with 2x4's with a toolbox holding it down. After wrestling the mat into place, my initial lay down didn't feel the hinge bump anymore. Surprisinlgy, that mat isn't soft at all. It's actually very hard and is only 1/4-3/8" thick although the perimeter edge is 1/2". It was a mess wrestling that thing in place but it looks like a solid solution. The rubber edging prevents any sliding under the mattress. I had it folded in half and it just wouldn't budge to slide under. After much tugging and maneuvering, it's in place and folded up nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom