Best mattress/pad for inside cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swhme

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m laying here on a HEST Foamie and it’s okay, but not great. So I’m wondering what y’all use to sleep inside your cruisers.

I’m a big guy— 6’6, 250

Thanks!

IMG_2161.jpeg

EXPED is my staple now. 4” thick, get the Widget to fill. I have arthritic pressure points that
don’t exist when I sleep on mine in my roof tent. They are insulated, so colder nights effects are reduced

I've seen more than a few on the pop-top campers forum go with this:

I've used a couple over the past 20 years. In order of acquisition...
  • BassPro cot pad (single) was decent for the first couple of years, but then the foam got weak. About the same price as the Ikea.
  • Ikea Minnesund 4" twin mattress fits between the wheelwells, surprisingly comfortable, and reasonably priced. Rolls up, but of course is bulky. Liked it enough I have the same mattress in my bedroom (queen). I bought it about 8 years ago and it still has plenty of cushion.
  • 6" Exped Megamat 15 was super comfy but way too bulky when stored (and for RTT use), and inside the truck I was concerned it would get damaged if left inflated... not taking a chance with a $450+ ballon.
  • Klymit Double V inflatable (for 2) - this thing is awesome. My buddy used one camping off his motorcycle in Baja and I checked it out when he visited here... impressed enough to buy one last year, then sold the Megamat. It's what I'm currently using, packs up nice and small, plenty of cushion for me and the lady.

Klymit Double V inflatable (for 2) - this thing is awesome. My buddy used one camping off his motorcycle in Baja and I checked it out when he visited here... impressed enough to buy one last year, then sold the Megamat. It's what I'm currently using, packs up nice and small, plenty of cushion for me and the lady.
So this is markedly more durable than the EXPED? How is it for inflation? I'll look it up for sure.

Have you considered a cot? One that has only two sets of legs will fit over the protrusion from the rear wheels, such as the Roll-a-cot. I've got a little review here: Roll-a-cot cots – Eat Sleep Woof - https://eatsleepwoof.com/gear/roll-a-cot

For a back sleeper, they're pretty damn comfortable. And they also have an inner pocket into which you can slide a (thin) mattress for added comfort.

If you already have a flat surface, EXPED MegaMat is the way to go. I've had numerous, and they're always great.

Have you considered a cot? One that has only two sets of legs will fit over the protrusion from the rear wheels, such as the Roll-a-cot. I've got a little review here: Roll-a-cot cots – Eat Sleep Woof - https://eatsleepwoof.com/gear/roll-a-cot

For a back sleeper, they're pretty damn comfortable. And they also have an inner pocket into which you can slide a (thin) mattress for added comfort.

If you already have a flat surface, EXPED MegaMat is the way to go. I've had numerous, and they're always great.
Roll-a-cot and Exped make for the MOST comfortable sleep I've ever had in a Cruiser!!

So this is markedly more durable than the EXPED? How is it for inflation? I'll look it up for sure.

I’d be surprised— when I looked up the klymit pads on REI the number one complaint was popping

I’ve got a flat surface with the drawers + seats— I’ll definitely try the exped!

Once I looked it up, I'd seen one as I was just in REI here in Olympia. They have a 'used once' Megamat 10 LWD
77"x30" for $140. If I didn't already have 2 and wasn't travelling with a suitcase I'd have grabbed it up, heck of a deal.
I guess all have preferential reasons for using what they do.
@swhme if they make a 6" EXPED I'd recommend that for a person of your dimensions.
What people don't get is an air mattress isn't a balloon it has to be filled to a pressure comfortable to the individual
not just pumped up to full and as hard as possible, that just won't work.
Putting a 1" or so foam on top will smooth out the resisting pressures too

Once I looked it up, I'd seen one as I was just in REI here in Olympia. They have a 'used once' Megamat 10 LWD
77"x30" for $140. If I didn't already have 2 and wasn't travelling with a suitcase I'd have grabbed it up, heck of a deal.
I guess all have preferential reasons for using what they do.
@swhme if they make a 6" EXPED I'd recommend that for a person of your dimensions.
What people don't get is an air mattress isn't a balloon it has to be filled to a pressure comfortable to the individual
not just pumped up to full and as hard as possible, that just won't work.
Putting a 1" or so foam on top will smooth out the resisting pressures too

6” ordered! Looking forward to trying it out! My only concern is the loss of headroom vs the 4”

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say it’s any more durable than exped, it’s just much thinner and easier to inflate/deflate, and takes up much less space when deflated. The exped rolls up to the size of a large suitcase. The Klymit is about 8” round and 18” long rolled up.

Not sure if my balloon analogy was misinterpreted- all I was saying is that if you have an inflated mattress- it’s way more susceptible to damage. Which is probably stating the obvious. So my preference is to deflate every day. That’s where stowage size can be an issue.

The exped was super comfy. Also 4x the cost of everything else I’ve used.

The exped rolls up to the size of a large suitcase.
I can get my double Exped rolled up pretty good. I put my 30” single Exped, roll-a-cot, roll-a-table and sleeping bag into a duffel bag. Arguing semantics here.

I have an Airbedz PPI-504 for my HJ60. Sitting up while the mattress is fully inflated, my head barely clears the high roof ceiling (I'm 5'11").
It has a little extension piece for taller people, but one would have to have the tailgate down to use it.

View attachment 3461850
You won’t haul much else besides that with that set up

6” ordered! Looking forward to trying it out! My only concern is the loss of headroom vs the 4”
I highly recommend getting the Widget air pump by EXPED. It is USB chargeable and takes about
45 sec or so to fill a mattress. It means you can deflate without worrying for packing up.
I hope you like it.

Exped megamat duo, best pad I have ever owned and it fits the back of the 80 like a glove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom