RTH: Transmission Dipstick Reading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just drained and refilled my 1996 automatic transmission fluid using this method: Transmission Fluid Exchange Writeup

I was in a hurry and so confident that the amount put in and the amount taken out being equal, that I didn't check the level after completing the procedure. Near the end of a 15 min drive through the city, I stopped at a red light at an incline, when it turned green, I gave it gas and it rolled backward for a second, hit the brakes, gave it gas again and continued normally.

It was too dark and I was too tired to deal with it when I got home 2 minutes after that red light.

I would just like to confirm my thoughts on this dipstick readings this morning. This is after sitting all night, starting the engine and letting it run for a couple minutes, taken while engine is running.

It is solidly covered up to the first cool indent, but has a streak on the top of the stick all the way up to the first hot indent. It consistently makes this pattern. How do you think I should proceed?

IMG_0352.jpg

The streak is nothing, every car, tractor and lawnmower I have ever checked does that streak thing. Only where the stick is fully wetted does the reading mean anything. I would say you have proper fill. I'd also drive it around the block a couple time to warm it up to operating temp and check again just to verify it hits the proper level in the HOT zone. But that's just me.

Symptoms are compatible with low fluid, disptick confirms same. What type of ATF did you use?

I would add a pint of ATF then go for a 20 minute drive (transmission must be fully warmed up to get an accurate reading), then park on a level surface, engine idling, AC off, transmission in Park, pull disptick, wipe off with lint free cloth or paper towel (wipe tiny bits of paper or lint off the stick with your fingers), if dipstick has varnish on it clean with solvent, put dipstick back in making sure it seats all the way, count to three, pull dipstick out, hold dipstick horizontally slightly tip down, bring it close to your eyes (depending on your vision) and read the highest level where there's a solid fluid level across the stick. Anywhere between the hot marks is good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, turns out two things were happening here.

One, it was a quart low, meaning I must've skipped a step somewhere during my process.
And two, the particular driveway I was checking the fluid level on seemed level, but after measuring, had a slight incline, further messing with my results. I now have the proper fluid level and the truck is shifting great.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. One last tip is to turn the headlights on when the truck is running and use the light to better see the dipstick readings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom