RTH: Part-Time Spool Install - OK to remove Front Side Gear from Pinion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt J

SILVER Star
Threads
Disclaimer: I'm cross-posting this from the 100 forum since the TC are almost identical and I'd think there have been more of these installed in 80s than 100s. I come in peace!

I'm in the middle of my TC rebuild (underdrive, 3.1 low, part-time spool, new bearings and seals) and planning to re-install the gear stacks tonight and get it all sealed back up to measure for shims.

For the spool, I pulled all of the spider/pinion gears from between the new spool and low gear/shaft (pinion shaft, pinion gears, pin, and front and rear side gears -- see pic).

After re-watching my resource videos on Youtube, it appears they only remove the items marked in red and leave the front side gear. I think the new plastic spacer on the back of the new spool is designed to hold that gear in. But I'm almost certain I saw one that removed the front side gear and corresponding thrust washer.

Screenshot_20230912_123414_OneDrive.jpg

I don't any function that gear would serve without the rest of the pinion in there. Thoughts?

Resolved. TL;DR yes, front side gear and thrust washer should stay to support the front output shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom