RTH: Part-Time Spool Install - OK to remove Front Side Gear from Pinion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt J

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm planning to re-install the gear stacks tonight and get it all sealed back up to measure for shims.

For the spool, I pulled all of the spider/pinion gears from between the new spool and low gear/shaft (pinion shaft, pinion gears, pin, and front and rear side gears -- see pic).

After re-watching my resource videos on Youtube, it appears they only remove the items marked in red and leave the front side gear. I think the new plastic spacer on the back of the new spool is designed to hold that gear in. But I'm almost certain I saw one that removed the front side gear and corresponding thrust washer.

Screenshot_20230912_123414_OneDrive.jpg

Regardless, I don't any function that gear would serve without the rest of the pinion in there. Thoughts?

@cruiseroutfit

I knew the answer was in here somewhere:

It is needed to support the front output shaft. :doh:

You can see the shaft inside the front spider gear in the pic below. I didn't realize this since my front extension housing was already removed when I got to this step.

sany0017.jpg

Fortunately this will just require removing those 12 bolts and re-inserting the thrust washer and gear. No press work.

Wasn't quite as easy as I had hoped. Removed the 12 bolts, but the spool is a very tight fit inside the low gear. Didn't want to just pop/pull out like the original rear portion of the center diff.

I tried tapping all around the outer edge and the hub portion of the spool near the bearing with a brass drift, but it wouldn't budge.

I also tried driving out the spool from inside the shaft, but apparently the only lip to catch on is the plastic bushing/spacer on the back of the spool...which of course I shear a piece off of. 🤬

So I'll be in touch with @cruiseroutfit for a replacement plastic bushing.

Next plan of attack is heat on the low gear to tried to get the spool to release. Also taking other suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom