RTH Lower Control Arm won't line up bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing my LCA skid plates and had to move my truck while they were disconnected. How do I align them back up? Ratchet straps?

14923709186531363666049.jpg

You could adjust the arm length to match the hole, insert the bolt, then re-adjust back to the proper length.
Another method: I was able to line them up by rotating the axle. I put a jack under the front or rear part of the axle and by extending the jack was able to rotate the axle enough to get the holes to line up.
Since the top arms are fixed the bottom mounting brackets will effectively move fore or aft as either the front or rear of the axle is lifted slightly.

You could adjust the arm length to match the hole, insert the bolt, then re-adjust back to the proper length.
Another method: I was able to line them up by rotating the axle. I put a jack under the front or rear part of the axle and by extending the jack was able to rotate the axle enough to get the holes to line up.
Since the top arms are fixed the bottom mounting brackets will effectively move fore or aft as either the front or rear of the axle is lifted slightly.
It looks like you may not have enough adjustment in the arm to get the holes to line up. So rotating the axle may be your only choice.

I got one side in by having somebody drive the truck forward and backward while I jammed the bolt through. The other side is a problem still. I tried rotating the axle etc but that didn't help much.

I got one side in by having somebody drive the truck forward and backward while I jammed the bolt through. The other side is a problem still. I tried rotating the axle etc but that didn't help much.
I am not sure what else to suggest without seeing the situation.
Something is preventing the axle from getting in the proper position.
It may just take more force to rotate the axle.
Good luck.

Yes, use ratchet straps. Might help to put a floor jack under that side of the rear axle as your drivetrain could be bound up a bit.

image.jpg
Had somebody drive it off a curb while I jammed the bolt through. This allowed the axle to rotate enough to get it all aligned up.

Lesson learned, don't move your rig while the lower control arms are disconnected.

Here is the end result: mount armor installed. Will weld the top on since the screws really did not tighten up.

View attachment 1442193 Had somebody drive it off a curb while I jammed the bolt through. This allowed the axle to rotate enough to get it all aligned up.

Lesson learned, don't move your rig while the lower control arms are disconnected.

Here is the end result: mount armor installed. Will weld the top on since the screws really did not tighten up.
Glad you got it all figured out! Out of curiousity, would the nut on the MT control arm ever come in contact with the mount during uptravel?

View attachment 1442193 Had somebody drive it off a curb while I jammed the bolt through. This allowed the axle to rotate enough to get it all aligned up.

Nice to get that done.

Pretty common, I usually just use a ratchet strap to the axle and a crossmember and pull the axle back into place. No biggie

Glad you got it all figured out! Out of curiousity, would the nut on the MT control arm ever come in contact with the mount during uptravel?

I've never noticed any issues. I'd most likely see some rubbing on the mount if this had occurred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom