RTH axle seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted earlier in the week about grease in diff an a little oil in knuckle. I ordered the marlin seal and some were against it. I dont think i even need to mess with this seal what do you think? Still rubbery an appears intact. I think i just had a breather issue. If you had a new marlin seal would you use it to replace this oem thats 3 years old? Or just add new grease.

15979808724288071479967399194454.jpg

Put in the Marlin seal. I know many are against that, but they all leak at some point. The OEM seal is better, but any new seal is also better. I run Marlins, they have been fine.

Use the spring from the OEM seal to replace the wire in the Marlin seal.

You say you think it was a clogged breather valve issue. What if it wasn't, and it actually was the seal. Change it and be done. A seal sitting on your shelf is a waste of money. Replacing a possibly good seal with another KNOWN good seal is being a smart mechanic. It's not a waste of money especially since you already threw down the bucks for it too.

The "hardest" thing about the seal replacement is sliding the axle back into the housing. Lube the axle with clean axle oil, and do your best at sliding the axle all the way in with minimal contact with the seal. It ain't easy (next to impossible) to slide it in without rubbing the seal, but I believe this is where many scrape the new seal up, and make it leak later.

Well being that I had a seal that many beleive is inferior regardless if it's new I was hesitant. I checked the new seal on the axle while it was out and determined my axle is worn. I'm going to need a new axle to get proper fitment with the new seal or old seal. Its not horrible but with the breather issue and a slightly worn axle groove its clear in my mind how the two mixed over the last 10k miles. I decided to leave in the seal and hold on to the new one until i can order an axle. That may be a while but grease is not that expensive and the knuckle should function properly in the meantime.
Thanks for the input guys

Well being that I had a seal that many beleive is inferior regardless if it's new I was hesitant. I checked the new seal on the axle while it was out and determined my axle is worn. I'm going to need a new axle to get proper fitment with the new seal or old seal. Its not horrible but with the breather issue and a slightly worn axle groove its clear in my mind how the two mixed over the last 10k miles. I decided to leave in the seal and hold on to the new one until i can order an axle. That may be a while but grease is not that expensive and the knuckle should function properly in the meantime.
Thanks for the input guys
If your only issue is the groove worn in the axle from the old seal "Wit's End" has a special seal driver that drives it in properly slightly deeper so the axle will work like new.

Last edited:
If your only issue is the groove worn in the axle from the old seal "Witts End" has a special seal driver that drives it in properly slightly deeper so the axle will work like new.
I'll check that out. Thanks

Way better to buy a $32 tool that fixes both sides than two axles! Really if your not replacing trunion races and wheel bearings and felt seals etc the job isn't too hard to get in there. You can just count on ruining pair of shorts lol
Side note: I was missing a cone washer in hub as well which may have escalated some vacuum/breather issues?

There might also be a 'sleeve' available. Might check your axle O.D. and then google it.
He'll probably have the best luck of finding what he's looking for if he searches using their trade name, Speedi Sleeves.

You can as stated above need to put the seal into different spot, u could do this multiple ways, a socket could damage it depending how well you can do something gently, a long time ago I bought the harbor freight seal and race driver kit for round 20 some bucks. It has a driver that fits these perfect tap it in a little deeper. Change the seal while you are there.

Last time I bought an axle seal it was like the price of a happy meal. Did these things become gold in the past few months requiring financing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom