Rough idle - my fault, but I don't know what I did (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so I tried the first one - not running - and got ~ 12.20 volts dc.

IMG_0858.jpeg
IMG_0859.jpeg

I am running pure distilled water.

Go the other way.
Pos in coolant, neg at neg batt post/chassis.

Oops, did it wrong.

image.jpg
IMG_0861.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg

Ok, you're good. (just under .1VDC for those not familiar)
Just my opinion, I don't feel that a ground issue is present.

I’ve never deleted all that stuff, but it seems weird to apply constant engine vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator. If that’s typical for this mod, ignore me. But normally fuel pressure is controlled (more of like 2 steps) by a vsv that you removed.

I’ve never deleted all that stuff, but it seems weird to apply constant engine vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator. If that’s typical for this mod, ignore me. But normally fuel pressure is controlled (more of like 2 steps) by a vsv that you removed.
Fair enough. I'll look this.

I had seen others here on 'mud run the line directly without a vsv and didn't read about any problems.

I removed that straight vacuum hose and plugged both the FPR and gas filter with a short section of new vacuum line with a bb in it. No change in behavior as far as I can tell, in a quick test in the garage (no driving).

IMG_0866.jpeg

To expand on that - There is a bb in both of those hose stubs so there is no vacuum leak at the intake, and there is no vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator. This is for testing purposes to eliminate a variable.

To catch things up to where I am - the behavior I am seeing is something like this:

Cold Start -
  • initial ~2200 rpm steady
  • 30 seconds ~1500 rpm steady
  • 60 seconds ~1200 rpm steady
  • 90 seconds ~900 rpm steady
  • 120 seconds ~650 rpm hunting/rough
  • few seconds later it drops down to 2-300 and fluctuates lower, and may stall, but may catch and rev up too 1000 rpm before dropping back to that low lumpy idle, and fluctuating between low idle, wanting to stall, and catching itself and revving

Warm start
  • initial ~2200 rpm
  • 30 seconds ~1100 rpm
  • few seconds later it drops down to 2-300 and fluctuates lower, and may stall, but may catch and rev up too 1000 rpm before dropping back to that low lumpy idle, and fluctuating between low idle, wanting to stall, and catching itself and revving.
By the way, it runs great driving down the road. I guess that kind of makes sense since there is a massive volume of metered air and fuel, so smaller vacuum leaks may be masked and bypasses like the IAC are out of the picture?

Last edited:
i could be wrong but looking at the end of the plunger it appears to accept a torx driver. It could be a case of using a torx driver to unscrew it out?
maybe try that carefully?
Upon further reflection, I think that torx fitting in the plunger may be so a tool can be used to set the resting depth of the plunger. That plunger is on a coarse threaded screw inside the magnet that turns to adjust the plunger depth when actuated. Turning either the magnet or the plunger end will change the resting depth of the plunger part. So I think this torx fitting can be used to rotate the plunger to get the proper plunger depth without disassembling the unit.

The moral of the story here is to measure the plunger depth before disassembly, so you can set it to the same depth upon reassembly.

I validated this. The torx screw does indeed adjust the length of the plunger. 👍🏻

Coolant (ECT) sensor tested with the multimeter and it is completely open - infinite resistance. Internal failure? Unplugging it has no impact on how the engine runs.

Correction - I pulled the wrong sensor.

I pulled the ECT cut switch and it tested open as it should (until it is heated up). I believe this is to kill the AC if the engine gets too hot.

I subsequently pulled the ECT sensor and tested it. It reads lower than spec: 1.2 K ohms at ~72 deg F when the spec is 2-3 K ohms at 68 deg F.

I may do some further testing on it after work.

This diagram found on mud was super helpful - 1FZ-FE head sensor ID - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1fz-fe-head-sensor-id.1276446/post-14296426

1690914921522.png

I (it sounds like incorrectly) assumed based on my research and the FSM, that the TVV was just a bimetalic valve that opened at temp and either allowed vacuum to pass or not, but the working end was submerged in coolant. I didn't think there would be any vacuum leak once the two lines were removed.

Correct

I looped the TVV with a short length of vacuum hose. No change.

To be expected

Great news: New ECT, 1.99 k ohms. Seems to have solved the issue of dropping to 100-200 rpm and stalling. Idles well around 700 rpm.

Still chasing whatever is making it idle a tiny bit rough (+/- >50 rpm).

Last edited:
Thank you!
Thank you for actually doing the checks.
Alot of info is shared with OPs by very knowledgeable members but the trail goes cold with no action/response.
I'm sure you're familiar.
:cheers:

Also check the wiring connection on both temp sensors. One is for the computer, one is for the gauge.

If it does it when warm, then it could be triggered by the temp sensor.

Also look at IAC valve since it's affected when warm.
I just want to acknowledge that @BILT4ME called out both the temp sensor and the IAC valve very early in this thread. Thanks, man!

Also, thanks to everyone that replied to this and gave me guidance.

I'm running back through re-reading everything and making sure I didn't miss any recommendations in my haste.

I think this thread has ruin its course and I'm going to let it die off. If I find a vacuum leak, I'll provide an update. Otherwise, I think I'll put this one to bed and move on to my alternator, idler and radiator project. New threads as needed.

I've learned a lot and appreciate all of the insight and guidance that you all provided. Thank you all!

Last edited:
I just want to acknowledge that @BILT4ME called out both the temp sensor and the IAC valve very early in this thread. Thanks, man!

Also, thanks to everyone that replied to this and gave me guidance.

I'm running back through re-reading everything and making sure I didn't miss any recommendations in my haste.

I think this thread has ruin its course and I'm going to let it die off. If I find a vacuum leak, I'll provide an update. Otherwise, I think I'll put this one to bed and move on to my alternator, idler and radiator project. New threads as needed.

I've learned a lot and appreciate all of the insight and guidance that you all provided. Thank you all!
You have done an incredible job walking through each and every diagnostic bit and documenting it.

You have gone much further than I have the patience for.

Nice work!

Last edited:
...and there goes another satisfied customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom