ROTW - dmc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles for my ROTW. Believe me I have too. Or I've enjoyed the ROTW series so much that I figured the least I could do was contribute. Hopefully you'll find something of value. FZJFillmore wanted me to do my entire thread about the stickers on my truck. I would but that would take too much effort so here goes...

I was a late convert to the magnificent beast known as the US spec FZJ80 Land Cruiser. However when the bug bit I knew what I wanted and I got pretty lucky. After selling my 97 Tacoma, a truck I loved, here on MUD I gave myself 6 weeks to find the 40th Anniversary 80 with lockers that I wanted. There has always been something about the 1B2 (Antique Pearl Sage) paint color that I loved from the first time I saw it. My 40 almost ended up that color. Well my search lasted about 48 hours. Bret van Tuyle, President of the Green Country Cruisers, had his 80 become available. Within a week I was on a plane to Oklahoma City. Thanks to Woody for the classifieds. Sold and bought my rigs within a month on MUD! :cheers:

As of April 4th, 2005 I was the proud owner of a 1997 FZJ80, 101,863 miles, lockers (of course), ARB Bumper with Ramsey Patriot 9500 winch, OME 850front, 863 rear, and Slee Sliders. The truck was ready to go. One the way home I even managed to take the 'scenic route' between Moab and Green River, UT. The trip back to Utah was enough to convince me that I had made the right decision. Then of course the battery died as soon as I pulled into the driveway.

So as of this morning I have 118,5** miles on the odometer and have made the following mods in no particular order

New battery
CDL
Swiched to M1 Synthetic
OME Front Js
Pioneer in dash DVD with IPOD adapter
rear storage
CB install
snorkel
PHH
HIR light upgrade, high and low beams
2in front spacers, rear J's and L shocks all around.
custom exhaust with magnaflow muffler
slee lighting harness

Not too much but I started with a good platform. One thing I did learn and I've posted it more than once is this.

BEST TECHNIQUE FOR REMOVING WOOD GRAIN - Forget the heat gun, forget the putty knife. set the heater on high, walk away for 30mins, come back, pull the wood grain off with your fingers. It's really that simple. I tried the heat gun and some 3m adhesive removal. Running the heater was far easier. Took maybe 10 mins to remove ALL the wood grain.

I think long term i'll remove the front spacers and go back to a rear 864 spring. I recently (2 weekend ago) went higher with one goal in mind, ACT 2006. I need room to clear 315 muds and wanted a bit more height. I prefer a bit lower stance for what I'll be using this truck for. Tire choice, as of now, for the 315 will be the Dunlop Mud Rover. I've had them on my 60 and my Taco and liked the way they performed. Plus they are relatively cheap.

Other long term plans include the following
Rear bumper with swing out
long range tank
roof rack (jmoose style)/tent
new rear storage for my latest purchase
dual battery
custom sub and amp

Like many others I'm building this as an 'expedition' truck. Which to me means a lot of wandering the Southwestern US but long term I intended to drive to South America. I tend to like to find the limits of my rigs early on. Between the Utah Cruiser Expedition and the latest Wasatch Cruisers run to Moab I've learned the limits of my truck fairly quickly. Just as I knew I would be I'm very impressed. Okay I used far too many words. Now time for the pics.

First trip in the truck, CM May 05

Moab October 05

Utah Cruiser Expedition Sept 05
IM000088 (Small).JPG
IMG_0537 (Small).jpg
IMG_0363 (Large) (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Nice rig!

:cheers:

One pic of some stickers just for Cory and the reason I need to build new drawers, 63qt ARB! I have to show off the IH8MUD and giant TLCA sticker. I hope at least one of you Alaskan's will recognize the Mapco sticker.
dmc
IMG_0678 (Small).JPG
IMG_0679 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Nice rig Dave! I enjoyed reading about your expedition in Utah and checking out the pics on the site. I'm thinking I need to get the iPod for my rig. The deck is iPod ready and I keep getting CD's stuck because of to much dust.:cheers:

my easy simple drawers...

I'm into them about $160 in material and 3 or 4 evenings. I'm trying to figure out how i can save them and incorporate the Fridge but it's probably not going to happen. The joints are all biscuited and glued so the thing is like a rock, very solid. They aren't anything fancy. no slides, just wood on wood but so far i've been very happy with them.
dmc
IMG_0183 (Small).jpg
IMG_0176 (Small).jpg
IMG_0179 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
MaddBaggins said:
Nice rig Dave! I enjoyed reading about your expedition in Utah and checking out the pics on the site. I'm thinking I need to get the iPod for my rig. The deck is iPod ready and I keep getting CD's stuck because of to much dust.:cheers:

I was anti MP3 for a long long time. It was fine for my pc at work but otherwise I was all about the audio. Most cd traders will understand what that means. I used to haul 500 cd with me on trips just in case I got a specific urge for a certain concert or album. Once I accepted that MP3 was good enough for my bad speakers in a truck with 33in tires and wind noise I was hooked. The IPOD adapter was one of the best decisions i've ever made. I'm considering upgrading from the 30gig photo to the 60 gig movie so I can load up all my live music.
dmc

Nice rig Dave..I have always liked that color. Can't wait for my ipod...

Nice rig dmc.

Would you mind posting a full dash pic so we can get a glimpse of what your 'woodless' dash looks like?

Thx
WET

wileetoyote said:
Nice rig dmc.

Would you mind posting a full dash pic so we can get a glimpse of what your 'woodless' dash looks like?

Thx
WET

For some reason I can't find these pics on my PC right now but this thread shows the majority of the dash.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=41504

I painted the section around the shifter with a light coat of black. I'll take a pic tonight and show it tomorrow.
dmc

Last edited:
How do you like your Pioneer and would you do it again?

I have the older dash so the flip up would not be the best for me but I was looking at the other one.

cheers
Sam

Looks like your wood removal method works a bit better than Junks gouging it off with a screwdriver method. Did the plastic under the wood look good everywhere.

NorCalSam said:
How do you like your Pioneer and would you do it again?

I have the older dash so the flip up would not be the best for me but I was looking at the other one.

cheers
Sam

I've always had Pioneer Premiere head units in my trucks and have always loved them. The current DVD is not a Premiere unit but I've been very happy with it. The video quality is excellent as is the functionality. 90% of the funcitonality I use can be controlled with the screen slid in so when I get off road I don't usually run with it out. I have read some reviews the the ipod controls on non touch screen units can be somewhat burdensome. I went single din so I would have a convenient easy way to store the ipod.
dmc

Nice rig. Didn't we do Kane Creek together at CM05 along with Cruiser Dan?

Josh83 said:
Looks like your wood removal method works a bit better than Junks gouging it off with a screwdriver method. Did the plastic under the wood look good everywhere.

Everything underneath looks great except for the ashtray. That piece needed some persuasion with the putty knife and I scratched it just a bit. Not sure why but it did not want to come off. The heater trick is genius. I just wish it were my idea. I'm just a fan. Simple, easy, quick. Perfect for a man as lazy as me.
dmc

Romer said:
Nice rig. Didn't we do Kane Creek together at CM05 along with Cruiser Dan?

Yep that was me. I gave props to you fellas in my "leaning 80" thread a few days ago. I seem to remember you and CDan a bit disappointed in my desire to completely cover my truck in mud that day. Well, you were right. :flipoff2: There is still plenty of it stuck underneath my truck. 18 cars washes down 34 more to go and it might be clean. :whoops: That was a good group and trail run.
dmc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom