ROTW: 88Chevota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here's one for ya jerry!

dscf0072yi0.jpg

The rig is looking great. Have fun wheeling it :cheers:

Great write up and SWEET RIG!
Nice to see the progression.
Id love to do the V8 swap some day too!
Just out of curiosity...why a TBI set up vs an EFI?
I see the price was right for the engine, but couldnt you have put an EFI head on it?

Im still pretty ignorant in regards to the chevy swap.

Great job!

Chicago

Great write up and SWEET RIG!
Nice to see the progression.
Id love to do the V8 swap some day too!
Just out of curiosity...why a TBI set up vs an EFI?
I see the price was right for the engine, but couldnt you have put an EFI head on it?

Im still pretty ignorant in regards to the chevy swap.

Great job!

Chicago

TBI is EFI... just very basic. It is like a carburetor with two fuel injectors on it. Ease of working on it, the price, and reliability were my reasons. They do make a multi-port injection manifold that you can put on it but it is pretty pricey. I would rather have some lockers.

Did you have more pics of your interior .. looks pretty clean !

I'll see if I can take some pics this weekend and post some up.

Those axles have some travel to 'em. Great pics!

Looks great! Did you buy a "kit" to help aid in the install or is it all custom? Planing on swaping a sbc into my 83 fj60 and looking for some good advice. Thanks

Looks great! Did you buy a "kit" to help aid in the install or is it all custom? Planing on swaping a sbc into my 83 fj60 and looking for some good advice. Thanks

I bought the advance adapters stuff. I had to make my own tranny mount though for the sm465.

If you are good with a welder I would recommend using factory chevy motor mounts and make your own stuff that goes on the frame. The AA stuff is pretty stout but I think the chevy mounts look cleaner. l know they are plenty of threads on here with guys doing the sbc conversion. you'll get a lot of good info!!! Good luck and post a thread of the build when you get to it!

Just curious...What kind of mileage are you getting with this setup?

Sweet rig!!!

Just curious...What kind of mileage are you getting with this setup?

Sweet rig!!!

I average about the same as the 3FE did. 15mpg. maybe a hair better but nothing to make you save money for lockers or a winch.
The power rocks though! No more sitting behind big rigs on hill on the interstate. I can blow right by everyone now.

I here that when guys do the 5.3 vortec they are getting close to 20mpg.

Thanks!

V8 conversions are just a win-win situation. More power and still better mileage (I only got 10mpg with my 2F). Even if it was just more power it'd still be worth it IMO. :cheers:

update

Well, I thought it might be a good idea to update this. Someone asked me about my SM465 which I do not have anymore. Some things on my rig have changed a little.

I pretty much parted out all the drive train except the engine. Sold all my suspension and wheels and started over again. I decided I didn't like the sm465. The granny gear was fun but it was not a great tranny for a daily driver.

Here is a list of what I did.

I found some one ton axles of a 94 f350 for $200 for the pair:D

So then I just kept on getting the deals. It was almost like it was meant to be this way!!!

Dana 60 front - Radius arms with coils 14" travel shocks
Sterling 10.25" rear - Spring under with (found at the pull yard 56" custom springs)
TH350 Tranny
NP203/NP205 dual case set up.
37" Super Swamper SSR
I built my own bumpers front and rear (I used the remains of my OEM front to make the front bumper.
Built my own rock sliders.
Trimmed fenders and opened up the rear fender to stretch it to 110" WB.

You can check out my build in my sig.

Here are some pics as it is right now.
photo 2-1.jpg
photo 3-1.jpg
photo-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom