Roof Rack Installation Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m in the process of installation of a front runner rack , waiting a few misc parts just gathering information and tips . I read through FrontRunner and other rack install seems like just be careful around the recessed bolt rood plates and seems like every rack uses sealant and not gaskets ... I’m not excited about that .
I don’t mind sealant with a gasket , just applying globs of sealant is not what i like to do .
I have not ruled out making gaskets .
Any tips or thoughts on the subject ?

Last edited:
I too will be looking at installing a Front Runner rack, so I'll be interested in how your install goes.

FYI, when I installed my Gamivit on to my 100 series, which is very similar to the 200, it was actually pretty straight forward using the OEM nut-zerts (or inserts, or whatever). I did apply a small amount of silicone to each bolt as I started them and as long as I was careful not to push down as I tightened them, no issues. I am expecting the same on the 200.

If look at the instructions looks like you put a bead of silicone around all the areas to seal out the water . Just using silicone around a hole and spacer looks like water could still get in there , especially the steel mount for the rack has what looks like expansion slot in the metal and only way I see is to use more sealant .
I ordered some silicone seal washers and may make some gaskets , I will use silicone also but a thin coat in areas , to use glob amounts as pictured in front runner instructions and is not what I expected from a expensive rack .

723F52E2-B08A-4542-A8F3-A7CBDE0B5077.jpeg

3FCD0ADC-EFDE-44AE-88E1-87EC423A9829.jpeg

when putting the bolts into or out of the stock clips, spin each one a couple turns, then go to the other, keep alternating. Make sure to break both free / tighten up only when both are as fully inserted as possible

THe stock system uses thread sealant / lock? and gaskets. No goop.

I watched a few videos and looked. a few other racks out there just see the process . I have installed a few racks thought Front Runner could have done a better job .
Even if you filled the gap with sealant if you needed to remove that would be a problem .
I borrowed this picture you can see the yellow plastic insert , is that the gasket when rack bolt is tightened suppose to seal .
I look at the spacer blocks and once sealant is applied looks like it could Damm up the water and if you have roof yuck in the channel going to hold water .
My truck is going in my shop so I will have the time to make sure that channel drains water , I could be over thinking this but want it right .

81AF00B9-4F81-4789-9718-088FA80FA6C1.jpeg

Last edited:
DO NOT USE AN IMPACT GUN when removing the factory roof rack (hard lesson I learned), and I used the FIPG (toyota's sealant for engine parts) I had laying around for the bolts, other then that it was smooth sailing.

DO NOT USE AN IMPACT GUN when removing the factory roof rack (hard lesson I learned), and I used the FIPG (toyota's sealant for engine parts) I had laying around for the bolts, other then that it was smooth sailing.
What was the lesson? Snapped bolt head?

What was the lesson? Snapped bolt head?
the bracket for the bolts fell down and I had to drop the headliner to get the bracket back in place... You CAN NOT fish the bracket back up.... I tried for over an hour before I had no choice but to drop the headliner.

My 4Runner had similar inserts (as I assume most Toyota products will)—the way I did it then and the way I’m planning to do it on the LC is to put a small bead around each of the yellow insert tubes. Then place a small bead around the holes on the spacer, both side that sits on the roof and side that will sit on the rail. Lastly, small amount on the bolts themselves. I don’t remember exactly what the name is, but I use the same sealant recommended in the Gamiviti install video. Haven’t had any water intrusion on my 4Runner in the 3 years it’s been on.

Rhino Rack uses an actual rubber gasket to seal it off similar to the stock gasket. I am not a fan of the goop either.

I just used sealant all around those yellow inserts and also all over the spacer. I let it set for about 20 seconds and then set the spacers down over the nutserts and pushed firmly but not enough to squeeze out any sealant. I let that set for about 30 seconds before I started installing the mounting rails. Two years of complete and total abuse and there is no hint of movement, much less leaking.

I would figure the factory yellow plastic is a insert gasket when the bolt is tightened pulls in but looked like the factory rack mount plates .
If you look at what front runner wants you to seal around bottom plastic spacers will hold water and there not even providing stainless bolts .
I’m not going to over think it but going to use common sense and not just seal the bottom or block the water flow along that channel .
I use sealants where necessary , there is a product for every application , I will be using a sealant on the threads , just gathering info on what everyone has done on there install

Last edited:
I would figure the factory yellow plastic is a insert gasket when the bolt is tightened pulls in but looked like the factory rack mount plates .
If you look at what front runner wants you to seal around bottom plastic spacers will hold water and there not even providing stainless bolts .
I’m not going to over think it but going to use common sense and not just seal the bottom or block the water flow along that channel .
I use sealants where necessary , there is a product for every application , I will be using a sealant on the threads , just gathering info on what everyone has done on there install
What silicon product did you eventually use? Did you do anything different for this FR install? Thanks.

Permatex 80015 Form-A-Gasket #2 Sealant​

Interesting. I’ve never heard of this. Seems like everyone is using polyurethane or Permatex RTV and Permatex non-RTV black. Thanks for the info. Here’s why I’m asking from my first debacle.

Interesting. I’ve never heard of this. Seems like everyone is using polyurethane or Permatex RTV and Permatex non-RTV black. Thanks for the info. Here’s why I’m asking from my first debacle.

I have a Prinsu roof rack and did a lot of research prior to installing. Permatex #2 is grey in color and doesn't dry hard. My LC sits outside full time and I've had no leaks using the Permatex #2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom