Roof rack build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife is out of town for two weeks so I bought a bunch of steel and beer...

I pulled most of my ideas for my rack from 98 Snake Eater whose rack I will never be able to match (since I DO NOT have a horn from a locomotive). So thanks to all who have contributed to roof rack threads.

As much as I love the ARB roof racks, they present a couple of problems: first- $$$$.$$, second- I don't think you can even get them anymore, third- I don't like to open my sunroof and feel like I'm in prison.;)

Anyways, I hope to finish this weekend, but here are a couple pics of the rack so far. Please understand that I am just a simple caveman, with caveman tools, caveman intelligence, and of course a caveman's thirst for that which is fermented...:beer:

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

rack3.jpg

I plan on attaching the upper loop with some notched conduit and some 1/4" rod for more tie down locations and a little bit of decoration.

The opening over the sunroof will allow for access to the party deck.:cool:
rack1.jpg
rack2.jpg
rack3.jpg

I like it so far. Good work.

are those the 4 inch clamps ? why did you choose to runt he rack so high off the roof?

They are the "Quick-N-Easy" clamps that a bunch of others have used as mounts for custom racks. They do sit a little high, but they are strong, inexpensive, and well...like their name says...:)

I thought about fabricating custom mounts, but decided it was too much of a pain compared to buying a set of 4 for $70.:D

Looks great so far :)
Thanks

How is the wind noise with that front bar?
Don't know, I haven't driven with it, I'm working on the upper loop...

Any plans for lights?
Eventually. But they won't match your candlepower:cheers:

I notched the conduit that's connecting the top & bottom. TEDIOUS!

You could've gotten eight 4" mounts for that price :doh:
I think I sourced them from the same place:confused:

I did :grinpimp:
They were the same price everywhere on the net:confused:

just so you know the shorter clamps (same ones) fit the 80 series with removal of the factory rack and will put the rack just off the roof for low profile
119-1929_IMG_2.jpg
119-1931_IMG_2.jpg
119-1955_IMG.jpg

just so you know the shorter clamps (same ones) fit the 80 series with removal of the factory rack and will put the rack just off the roof for low profile

I just pulled my factory rust-maker off as well...
rack4.jpg
...so I guess I need to get the low-profile ones. I can't believe that I didn't see these when I googles this about a million times.:eek:

Oh well. It's not too late.

What did you guys do for finish?
rack4.jpg

i did just primer and rattle can, I was stopped at a stop light in town by a road construction guy who wanted to buy the rack, ended up selling it since it was a price i couldnt resist. you can spend a bunch on powder coat but in the end for a roof rack rattle can will do just as well when its home made.

mike

I have a question for lx450landcruiser, nice looking roof rack, is that home made? If so what is it made from, mainly wondering about the corners? Where did you get the low profile mounts? Finally what size is the rack?
Thanks - Rusty
97 FZJ80

I have a question for lx450landcruiser, nice looking roof rack, is that home made? If so what is it made from, mainly wondering about the corners? Where did you get the low profile mounts? Finally what size is the rack?
Thanks - Rusty
97 FZJ80

I built that rack about 2 or 3 years ago its made of steel. the corners were simple pre bent 90s, you can get them at most welding-steel yards. the low profile mounts are the same company of the taller ones above. I bought mine about 5 years ago from spector off road how ever i wouldnt recomend buying them from them now as there way over priced there. Look around in the net and look for the shorter ones they are really nice and strong. Dont remeber exactly how long the rack was but it was full length, ran fron the back all the way to just over the windsheild as i had 4 off road lights on the front as well as 2 mini lights on each side protected by upper supports for the rack

mike

What type of steel did you use? I am thinking of conduit, cheap, light and probably strong enough. Plus I have a tubing bender that will work with it but corners might actually be easier? Did you notch the tubing? Anxious to get started on one
Rusty
97 FZJ80

What type of steel did you use? I am thinking of conduit, cheap, light and probably strong enough. Plus I have a tubing bender that will work with it but corners might actually be easier? Did you notch the tubing? Anxious to get started on one
Rusty
97 FZJ80

I used conduit for those reasons. Borrowed the bender from a buddy who is an electrician, and it worked great. It's plenty strong. When I but just the base on the cruiser, I climbed up there and danced on it. No problem.:beer: (And I'm 225)

I also notched the pieces that are connecting the bottom rung to the top. Royal pain in the ass, but it was worth the effort.:)

Does anyone have a site address where you can get the low-profile mounts? Thanks in advance.

I used conduit for those reasons. Borrowed the bender from a buddy who is an electrician, and it worked great. It's plenty strong. When I but just the base on the cruiser, I climbed up there and danced on it. No problem.:beer: (And I'm 225)

I also notched the pieces that are connecting the bottom rung to the top. Royal pain in the ass, but it was worth the effort.:)

Yours looks great too, any finished pictures? What size is it?
Rusty

my recomendation if you need a rack that will hold alot of weight is to do the cross bars out of 1X3 rectangular tube something pretty heavy duty. from there just weld up the thin tube basket so that it attached to the cross bars. the basket doesnt have to be heavy duty. All it has to do is anchore the goods up top. the real weight is in the cross bars. also i would recoment expanded metal for the floor, it will also help distribute the weight (makes a great sleeping platform too)

the strait pipe bent is awsome way to go however i didnt have a pipe bender and of course the angles pieces were much faster then bending pieces

I have been searching for the shorter quick-n-easy clamps for about an hour now with no luck. The ones I am finding say 7-3/8", I assume the shorter ones are the 4". Anyone have a link for these, or another option?
Rusty

I have been searching for the shorter quick-n-easy clamps for about an hour now with no luck. The ones I am finding say 7-3/8", I assume the shorter ones are the 4". Anyone have a link for these, or another option?
Rusty

The 4" mounts are no longer made....

I PM'd you with details of where you can still find them though :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom