Roof Fitment Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
Okay. The roof has me tied up in knots. I have attached the visor to the fiberglass and everything seems to line up fine. Visor to windshield bolts up fine. I was able to install the first 4 or 5 bolts attaching the door headers to the top. But working from the front of the vehicle toward the rear, by the time I get to the back of the vehicle, the holes in the top of the side panels are about 1/8" off (front-to-back). It seems that either the top needs to move rearward about 1/8" or the side panels need to move frontward.; or some combination to close the gap. What is the trick for getting everything to lined up. I have been trying to use a small Phillips screwdriver but no dice so far. I'm thinking that I may need to take out all of the screws and start over, working on anchoring each corner. What say the veterans who have been down this road before?

Thanks.

09.04.2021.Roof.1.jpg

09.04.2021.Roof.jpg

Can’t see the truck for better perspective. Looks like you have barn doors in the back? Not ambulance doors? I would leave doors open, and place a few bolts loosely in around the entire perimeter. This will allow some give to locate the bolts through the openings. Ratchet straps are your friend if you need to “bring things in” a little. Before you tighten all the bolts, make sure door gaps are good. Then tighten. I would also try to work criss cross snugging before you do the final tightening. Leave flexibility for adjustment until you like where it’s at. If you are using fresh weather stripping and gaskets, it will be a little tougher the first time.

Can’t see the truck for better perspective. Looks like you have barn doors in the back? Not ambulance doors? I would leave doors open, and place a few bolts loosely in around the entire perimeter. This will allow some give to locate the bolts through the openings. Ratchet straps are your friend if you need to “bring things in” a little. Before you tighten all the bolts, make sure door gaps are good. Then tighten. I would also try to work criss cross snugging before you do the final tightening. Leave flexibility for adjustment until you like where it’s at. If you are using fresh weather stripping and gaskets, it will be a little tougher the first time.
Thank you. Yes, on the barn doors. Left-to-right alignment seems spot on. So, I just need to work on front-to-back. What system would you suggest for rigging and anchoring the ratchet straps for front-to-back alignment?

Major point of give is the windshield hinge where it pivots front and back. Is the windshield angle good? Did you tighten the two know bolts on the dash enough. This might get you the wiggle room you need. Make sure all bolts are loose to allow the roof to move.

Sorry, you need to get creative with straps if needed. Looks like you have new paint and such. Use some padding as you ratchet if needed.

Everything above. I got 4 or 5 bolts in loosely near the corners then kept adding more. Left the side to tub bolts loose as well.
Are the bolts loose on the rear of the door headers where they meet the top sides? There’s about 3/8” movement there.

Maybe it is just me but I don't think you should need straps to force things into alignment. Are the sides bolted down to the tub? Loosen them if they are. Same at the front, loosen any screws or bolts including the hold downs. As previously noted, try putting in hardware at various locations around the top. Think one or two in each corner and then shoot for the rest. Get them all in place before doing any tightening. Just like when you bolt down a head snug everything down but do it in stages and criss-cross the sequence.

My thought is that if you start at one corner and work you way around it may distort the body shape instead of keeping things straight and inline.

First get them all to bite before you start fastening them doewn all the way. With fresh new rubber all around I also used a ratchet strap to lightly convince 1 or 2 of the holes to line up ...

Was it a newer hardtop?

The header bar front/rear offset is different between a top wiper windshield and a ambulance door top. I don’t remember the specifics, but they are in my thread linked bellow.

Was it a newer hardtop?

The header bar front/rear offset is different between a top wiper windshield and a ambulance door top. I don’t remember the specifics, but they are in my thread linked bellow.

I am happy to report that after much fiddling the roof is now all bolted securely into position. Many, many thanks to this forum for all of the help, advice and support. Ended up being able to get the top lined up without resorting to winch straps or other more drastic measures. For me, the thing that worked was loosening all of the bolts securing the side panels, door headers, pretty much everything hardtop related. Then I lifted the top and started at the rear corners. Once the rear corners were loosely fitted I was able to work my way toward the front. A small Philips helped to persuade things to line up. After all of the bolts were started I was the able to get the visor properly positioned and tightened everything securely. Still need to mount and hook up the dome light. Hopefully, the top is not coming off again anytime soon.
Thanks again!

I am happy to report that after much fiddling the roof is now all bolted securely into position. Many, many thanks to this forum for all of the help, advice and support. Ended up being able to get the top lined up without resorting to winch straps or other more drastic measures. For me, the thing that worked was loosening all of the bolts securing the side panels, door headers, pretty much everything hardtop related. Then I lifted the top and started at the rear corners. Once the rear corners were loosely fitted I was able to work my way toward the front. A small Philips helped to persuade things to line up. After all of the bolts were started I was the able to get the visor properly positioned and tightened everything securely. Still need to mount and hook up the dome light. Hopefully, the top is not coming off again anytime soon.
Thanks again!

Sometimes, it is the little things... To complete the roof install, I was happy to get the dome light mounted and working.

09.04.2021.Dome Light.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom