Roll-a-cot - possibly the best cots money can buy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found out about these cots in a random thread on this forum, and wanted to bring attention to them via a dedicated thread.

Manufacturer: Roll-a-Cot ® - https://www.camptime.com/collections/cots

I recently received two of them, and cannot say enough good things about them.

- Excellent sizes which are not available from other manufacturers.
- Very, very comfortable.
- Option to have a built-in "pocket" to slide-in an air mattress.
- Light, strong, no chance of rust. Availability of all individual parts.
- Quick and easy assembly.
- Hand-adjustable tension.
- Carrying bag hangs on the cot and doubles as pockets for small items.
- Great quality.
- Made in Spokane, WA.

If you're looking for a good cot, this is the one to buy.

I've posted here more than a few times about these cots. I sleep on one in the back of my 60 exclusively now. Best sleeping
bed I've ever had for camping. Light, portable easy to set up.
Most important thing is NO middle legs! It will slide against the side of the back of any of the trucks and it clears the wheelwells.
Many of the other manufacturers have 3 sets of legs and won't work in the back of a 60 or 80

I've posted here more than a few times about these cots. I sleep on one in the back of my 60 exclusively now. Best sleeping
bed I've ever had for camping. Light, portable easy to set up.
Most important thing is NO middle legs! It will slide against the side of the back of any of the trucks and it clears the wheelwells.
Many of the other manufacturers have 3 sets of legs and won't work in the back of a 60 or 80

It might have been your posts that led me to them, so thank you! I've definitely seen a photo of one in the back of a cruiser, over some drawers (?).

I’ve been using these cots for over 30 years and the ultimate is to have two of them side by side so you can roll your sleeping bag over on it or any other junk you might have so it doesn’t end up on the ground.

These cots are great for plopping a stand alone 1 man tent on top of it too. That’s how I use it when camping.

The ultimate comfy sleeping pad I’ve found that fits this cot perfectly is TWO (2) regular size REI camp rest self inflating sleeping pads. They’re 2-1/2” thick but one of them isn’t quite cushy enough. Stack them double (2 pads) and it’s the most comfortable bed you’ll ever sleep on.
Lying on this cot without a pad is torture. Very uncomfortable.

Teton Sports makes a tent that fits on top, and the MSR Hubba NX tent fits like a dream.

Wife-approved when combined with an Exped mega-mat…

The parts availability alone would be enough to get me to buy. Just add a Springbar tent and some coleman white gas appliances (the older ones with brass instead of plastic valves) and you'll have the ultimate setup!

@eatSleepWoof or @cruiserpilot , is there a vendor for these on our side of the border?
I’m not sure but just go online and order direct. They are based in Spokane. FYI, stay away from USPS
they are not very reliable with cross border shipping to Canada lately. I’d recommend demanding UPS or
Fedex.

For what it's worth, I've had no problems with USPS. Had a package delivered last week, and one this morning. Both on time. Fairly sure Roll-a-Cots were sent by USPS, too.

UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc., will all charge crazy brokerage (and other) fees. Not uncommon to pay $60 in fees to receive an $80 item. When shipping from the states, I always choose USPS when it's an available option.

i'm not averse to other opinions @eatSleepWoof. just read some of the reports in your site. nicely done. just outta curiosity, how much did that sauna heater/woodstove rape your pocket for? have you used it, more than your test fire?

i'm not averse to other opinions @eatSleepWoof. just read some of the reports in your site. nicely done. just outta curiosity, how much did that sauna heater/woodstove rape your pocket for? have you used it, more than your test fire?
Funny you should ask. I sold it yesterday. Took a ~$130CAD loss. It's about $630CAD shipped new, but in hindsight, I wouldn't recommend it.

Problems:
- All windows get 100% clogged with solid-black soot in 30 mins, regardless of what wood you burn. To avoid that you need very high heat and tons of airflow - the opposite of what my intentions for this stove were.
- The exhaust diameter is only 2.5", which really isn't enough. It gets too hot as a result.
- What's worse, you only get 6' of that exhaust length, and finding any more locally is downright impossible. It's a very hard to find, specialty item that even fireplace stores don't have. Local stores all say you need at least 11' of exhaust to get a proper draft going - that'll suck out the bad gasses, promote good combustion.
- Similarly hard to find 45-degree elbows.
- It only keeps the fire going for about 2.5 hours. At that point it needs to be refilled. I was hoping for at least 4-5 hours between refills.

I'll need to update that blog post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom