Rocker chop sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone had anything to add on this subject? I plan to keep my lift a bit lower and am considering cutting out my perfectly straight and good rockers (gasp!) and welding in some 2X4 or some such as body-mounted sliders. I know @jcardona1 cut his rockers (but went with frame mounted sliders) and @Broski chopped/replaced his rockers. Has anyone else done this? Any caveats, gotcha's, or tips for someone wanting to go down this path? Anything you would do differently if you were to do it again? Thanks for any input!

2x4 doesn’t really stick out wider and protect your door panels. Adding tube out past a 2x4 is a fair bit of leverage on the sheet metal.

I like the idea of a rocker chop with some thicker metal on the bottom where the rocker was, and then sliders just below that. You can jack up the one side of the vehicle safely still that way.

For just what you are asking, there is a video om Matt's Recovery about Fab Ratts doing just that.

@Broski and @Redgrrr were the ones who inspired me to just cut my rusty a** rockers and put some rectangular tubing in:
18D33436-98D6-4631-B4D7-B88CC57127E1.jpeg

but anyway, if I was to do it again, I’d use 1.75” tubing instead of the 1.25”. This still needs finished. Making plates/treads for the tops and then it all gets raptor lined in the original paint code colors and in a similar scheme. Someday 😝

But really, unless yours is a pile from the rust belt like mine is, I’d leave your rockers alone if they’re rust-free. Maybe hit up LCP for his simple clip on ones if you’re anticipating dragging them over something. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, a handful of people have done it, but most are too timid for such activities. Things to keep in mind:

1) sunroof drains exit through the rockers, so pay attention to that and make sure you leave an exit for water
2) A and B pillars are structurally tied into the rocker. This mod could weaken them in a rollover (maybe?) try to weld the pillar structure to your 2x4 or leave whatever looks important in place when you chop.
3) will harm resale value if your truck is a creampuff.

I actually chopped the rockers off my 60 for the same reason, but the truck disappeared in a puff or rust before I ever finished the project. The 60 didn't have a sunroof and it didn't introduce any noticeable structural changes (squeaks, etc) by having no rockers at all. Except the bottoms of the fenders flapped around a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom