Rocker arm question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This image is from a 1976 2F engine. Two of the rocker arms are at an angle compared to the rest. Is this normal, or is something damaged? I can't find any definitive answers anywhere (and I don't even really know where to look).
1659531389759.png

The rocker arm position, relative to the horizontal, is entirely dependent on the position of the cam lobe beneath the pushrod. Since the valves have to match teh positions of the pistons, which themselves are dependent upon the position of the crankshaft journals, not all of them will be in the same positions at any given point in time. Maybe this will help:
1659532099141.png

Optical illusion. Ask me how I know.

I’m having a difficult time seeing the problem you’re describing. Are you saying that those two rods and rockers are different than all the others when the valves are in an open position?

Let me see if I can clear this up for you. The portion of the pushrod you think might be bent is actually the end of the valve adjuster that is part of the rocker arm.

fj40 valve adjusters.jpg

The collar at the top of the pushrod is a cup. The end of the valve adjustment stud is rounded to fit the cup. When adjusting the valves you loosen the nut on top and using a screw driver lengthen or shorten how far down the adjuster is positioned.

Hope this helps.

Let me see if I can clear this up for you. The portion of the pushrod you think might be bent is actually the end of the valve adjuster that is part of the rocker arm.

View attachment 3076576

The collar at the top of the pushrod is a cup. The end of the valve adjustment stud is rounded to fit the cup. When adjusting the valves you loosen the nut on top and using a screw driver lengthen or shorten how far down the adjuster is positioned.

Hope this helps.
I think that clears it up. Thanks for your help!

The ball and socket arrangement between the pushrod and rocker arm allows for the rocker to move in an arc, while the pushrod is constrained to move in a linear path. It's OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom