Rocker and tailgate rust repair FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I have a '70 FJ40 that's my DD. Wife currently drives an '04 4Runner. She wants a 60/62 instead. Woohoo! Found an '89 FJ62 in Dallas, TX that has some substantial (or what I'd call substantial) rust in the rear door rockers and on the tailgate. Otherwise it is pretty decent shape and seems to be DD capable. I am wondering if a few gurus can chime in and give me a ballpark estimate of what repair would be for these spots (cutting out and replacing) OR if I should run from this. I'm DIY on everything besides body work. Wondering what other rust problems there may be if there is this much rust on the rockers. Guy claims the frame and floors are solid. Price is $8500. Thoughts?
20151201_161616.jpg
20151201_160622.jpg
20151201_161013.jpg

You see that huge rust bubble where the door meets the wheel well, I had the same thing on mine and started to sand it down and it was rotten all the way through. Doesn't look like much but there's probably a huge hole behind the paint. Maybe try to get the price down if you really want it
Also, how many miles?

Right, I guessed the same thing about the door bubble. Could probably push a screwdriver all the way through pretty easy if I had to bet. Has 158k miles. Here's the listing: Toyota land cruiser really nice truck brand new tires!! clean title!. The main problems are power locks and one power window no workie. Otherwise, it seems to be in fair shape.

I would pass for that price, tailgate and rear hatch are on the way out also. most likely the all the way around the rear wheelwells are rusting also. the pass side has a bad repair in the pick above. too many unknowns.

I'd pass on that one.

$8500 on that rust bucket? No way. $2000 max and that's only if it has low miles.

Hard pass.

Look at the plate on that thing, from the rust belt. PASS

Illinois plate = pass, unless $2000. I would peel back those vinyl rear wheelwell covers (adjacent to the back seat's bottom cushion) and I'll bet you'll find a horror show in there.

there is a reason the lower body is painted different, its had plenty of body work before, the rust is held on by the bondo

just walk away and be glad you did...

I passed on a '99 100 series for $6500 that had minor body damage. For your sake, don't put your wife in that 60. 22 yo collage kid, maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom