RHD HZJ75 Value in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey people, long time member of the forums (I think this is my second acc) but it's been a while. I genuinely hope this OK to ask and in the right spot (I know this is tech, just wasn't sure where else might suit).

Anyway, I'm an Aussie, as life would have it over the years I met and married and American and after living in both countries we have decided to settle long term in the US.

Now, I currently own a '91 HZJ75 Troopy. It's a poptop with a camper fitout in the back. 500,000k's on the chassis, 200,000k's on a replacement 1HZ. AiResearch and PWR turbo/intercooler setup, stratos seats, under body water tank, built in propane storage compartment in the body etc. Also has a bundutec 360 awning.

Anyway, more to the point is that I'm considering bringing it over to the US with us when we move mid 2024. I already have a 4x4 econoline camper in the states and would be bringing the troopy over with the idea of selling it on eventually. The market seems good for them, but I am not 100% certain on RHD models and previous sales are hard to come by. I've seen a couple on mud sell for $40-55k though they had lower k's on the body. Mine is rust free, has had some prior rust work done that was cut and shut. Has some maintenance books/history to go with it etc.

Just wanted to get an opinion on generally considered fair value for these rigs in RHD? I'd consider picking up another to bring over in one 40ft container I'm just not sure if it is worthwhile.
Not out to do anything rediculous or price gauge, but if the effort could equal into an extra 10-20k that would help us out for a house or whatnot then that'd be a big help for us.

Anyways, hope this is OK to post and would appreciate any feedback you guys might have.

Cheers!

Those prices are characteristic. The pop top will definitely "sell it" for some people. It's a truism that "you never make back what you spend on mods", but good quality standard upgrades (ARB bumper, quality pop top, quality awning, quality winch, etc.) will definitely enable you to ask more. I have a '95 similar to yours (no pop top) and I jumped on it because it was LHD. As more and more Cruisers get imported every year, the desire for RHD trucks will cool - some say it will crash, as it has done in other parts of the world, but I don't know enough to speak to that. There is an efficient global mechanism in place to import vehicles from Japan and to a lesser extent Australia (RHD) but less so from Europe (LHD) or so it seems to me. Also, more people are becoming knowledgeable about Toyota diesels and which trucks are actually desirable and which just look desirable.

Cold cruel capitalism: If you're looking to sell your Troopy to help with your move to America, spend a lot of time on detailing it, doing everything you can to prepare it for a "car show" like exposition, then take some real effort with photography. I would think about hiring a photographer. This is not the time for cell phone pictures in your driveway. You want to appeal to wealthy know-nothings that see this as a "character vehicle" that will give them instant credibility. I don't know if you know about Bring A Trailer, but a lot of vehicles seem to reach higher prices there (sometimes comically higher) than they would selling to more knowledgeable 4x4 enthusiasts that are going to ask you 1000 questions about your turbo setup and your leak down numbers. Like you said, it's that extra 10 or 20K that you're reaching for.

Troopys will always be desirable. Pop top troopys even more so. Good shape modded turbo intercooled troopys even more.

I agree with @Tennessee Jed about RHD. I don’t think there is a person in the US that would say I would rather have RHD vehicle.
Me personally, yes I would rather have a LHD BJ74…they don’t exist OEM (outside of 5ish from France that we’ve seen exactly 2 of VIN wise) so they don’t exist…

A troopy is rare and unless they outlaw them in the US there will always be a market. Not everyone can afford a LHD troopy (myself included) so RHD works fine for most people and their uses. I can see a lot of people rather buy a RHD poptop turbo diesel troopy rather than stock LHD gasser or BJ75 troopy.

All this to say, yes you could make some
Decent money here, and I think bringing 2 to fill a container is a great idea.

Let’s see some pictures of your troopy!

I would rather have the RHD for the novelty: love mine.
I have an acquaintance who is a know-nothing status seeker.
He sends me a link to every cruiser that appears on Bring A Trailer.
I suspect he thinks I will be overcome with greed and sell my BJ74 for a pile of cash.
Nope.

I think your idea is good.

You could also take orders for parts you might find in a wreckers yard… parts we cannot get here in the states.
Stuff the cargo container with used ARB bumpers, rear half-doors and snorkel air boxes.

The parts idea is really good. Seriously. Especially flat, easily stackable things like doors, quarter panels, etc.

I had a RHD 73 and loved it. The only downside was it made getting fast food inconvenient, but it SHOULD be inconvenient to dig your grave with your own teeth, so I see that as a bonus.

I agree with many of the points made by all. But I must also confess that owning a RHD in the States is an experience worth pursuing on it's own merit. I absolutely LOVE the nonstop public fascination with my RHD. Being a 70 series in America is novel enough, but you get that steering wheel to the right and it's flat out tantalizing 😆

No joke, I would actually go out of my way to pick the RHD over LHD with everything else being equal. Not to mention, driving RHD (to me at least) is also very intuitive and super fun. I live in Florida where it's very hot, and have a hard time keeping the windows up just because keeping them rolled down increases the observability of me driving from the right seat 😆

Also true for me: I work overseas, so at times I find myself driving a LHD Land Cruiser in a RHD territory and I love that too, just not as much as the traffic patterns do throw me off at times!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom