RHD BJ70 Rear Shoulder Belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an Australian spec 1985 RHD BJ70 and - as many of your know for this year and variant - it didn't come with a factory rear seat. I found a rear seat from a BJ71 in Japan and managed to get it over here to the US along with all its mounting hardware. So I'm all set with installing the actual seat... Unfortunately - as has been discussed as part of a few threads on IH8MUD - the 1985 BJ70/71 rigs that did not come with a factory rear seat do not have the reinforced mounting points for shoulder belts on the rear pillars.

Anyone have any novel ways of installing shoulder belts in a BJ70/71 that doesn't involve installing a roll bar? Lap belts are relatively straightforward, but I want to put my kids back there so would prefer shoulder belts. I know there are a few threads on this already, just wanted to see if there's been any updates to ideas re this concept...

Do you have have the vertical bars that run across the window? I can take some photos of my truck. It's a factory BJ71 with rear seats ect

I have an Australian spec 1985 RHD BJ70 and - as many of your know for this year and variant - it didn't come with a factory rear seat.

I have not heard of this before. Are you sure it hasn't been removed? If it doesn't have seat belt attachment points , I would say it is most likely a JDM import to Australia.
The only way to license the imports with no seatbelts in Australia was to remove the rear seat and lic it as a 2 seater.
The information on the aluminium tag would confirm its original intended market

What I was going to do with mine before I changed to an 80 was install Tahoe/Suburban Seats, they have integral shoulder belts
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...burban-3rd-row-seats-fit-into-tahoe-tahoe.jpg

You'd have to fabricate some seat mounts but then you ar egood to go.

They can be found on Kijiji / Ebay starting at $150 or so. Just search for "third row Tahoe"

Craig.

Thanks Craig. That's a good idea re the Suburban seats... But I already have a rear seat out of a BJ71, all I need is belts.

I have not heard of this before. Are you sure it hasn't been removed? If it doesn't have seat belt attachment points , I would say it is most likely a JDM import to Australia.
The only way to license the imports with no seatbelts in Australia was to remove the rear seat and lic it as a 2 seater.
The information on the aluminium tag would confirm its original intended market

Don't think they've been removed, if you pull up the rear floor covering there's definitely no sign of a rear seat ever being installed. It's not a JDM import either, I don't think: it has all the "manufactured to Australian standards" plates under the bonnet that you usually find on the non-JDM Cruisers.

My LJ71 has some vertical bars there that would have been a retrofit to get it legal when it first arrived in NZ as a used jap import. You can see them in the pics below although the seats & belts have been removed:

box12.jpg

box13.jpg

Not sure if they are picking up some factory bolt holes there or if there's just a big washer behind the sheet metal.

Cheers
Clint

My LJ71 has some vertical bars there that would have been a retrofit to get it legal when it first arrived in NZ as a used jap import. You can see them in the pics below although the seats & belts have been removed:

Not sure if they are picking up some factory bolt holes there or if there's just a big washer behind the sheet metal.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks for the photos Clint, but I don't have those bars on mine. In fact, my rear side windows are solid, so quite different. Thanks anyway!

There are alphabetical codes that define which market it was intended for . Maybe some were imported for a special customer or use.
Doe's it have vinyl flooring or carpet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom