Rear seatbelts for 1985 BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey team,

When I bought my Cruiser, it came with rear seats, but no belts, or the vertical bars by the window that they should attach to:
1695381297039.jpeg

Picture is of a friend's Cruiser with identical belt mounting points to the floor and with top pivot at the vertical bars. Only difference is that my seats are split folding.

I've found a set on Ebay for an HJ60 that looks like they'll fit, but hoping someone can confirm for me:
1695381398581.png

Also, bonus points if someone can tell me what the vertical bars are called, or where I can source some. So far been completely unsuccessful.

Cheers,
Josh

As to the rear seats, did you compare seat mounts and type?
Window bars, I had a set laying around but not sure if I still do. Just started 4 days at work so won’t be able to check.
Keep an eye out/ post requests in the diesel/rhd classified section
Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Best I can tell, belt receptacles mount to only the floor directly behind the seat, with the reels mounting to the wheel arch. Will double check that's the case.

Will put up a request post, but yeah if you've got some you're willing to part with, or even measure for me, that would be brilliant.

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

Best I can tell, belt receptacles mount to only the floor directly behind the seat, with the reels mounting to the wheel arch. Will double check that's the case.

Will put up a request post, but yeah if you've got some you're willing to part with, or even measure for me, that would be brilliant.
I found them

IMG_8941.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 7.09.04 PM.png

I do not think the dark colored vertical bar is OE.

View attachment 3441133

I do not think the dark colored vertical bar is OE.
My mate's BJ71 is fitted with the second black bar set for seatbelts, so I believe they're factory. My white ones are fitted, but I'm missing the blacks, as well as the adaptor to the seatbelt. If anyone can get some measurements and clear pics of those, I might just make some up

Edit: BJ71, NOT a 73

Last edited:
Are you saying a BJ73 with removable top has the seatbelts anchored to the top? It could be locally installed by either the dealer, port or aftermarket and specific to your country but I don't think it is factory.

Are you saying a BJ73 with removable top has the seatbelts anchored to the top? It could be locally installed by either the dealer, port or aftermarket and specific to your country but I don't think it is factory.
Typo! It's a BJ71. It's the one in my picture up top

Is your mate's BJ71 a JDM import? My JDM '87 BJ74 didn't have any rear seat belts at all.

I would look into the latest Hardtop J70's (within the last ~10 years). Their seatbelt is tethered to the C pillar. Likely, the pillar has reinforcements and captured nuts that may not present on many 80's J70 but it would be much better than that "retrofit."

You can see some what I'm talking about here.

Last edited:
^^^ I do see a 3-pt rear seat belt available in an '89 BJ70. Says "NZ" for maybe New Zealand? And then you can see the seatbelt reinforcement plate below....

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 9.18.08 AM.png

Hello,

The rear seat can accommodate three people, all with seat belts.

The center belt is a two-point, lap type.

The other belts can be either three-point or two-point.

There are two types of three-point rear seat belt.

One type is anchored in the C pillar. Adjustment is manual.

The other type is an ELR system that fits inside the rear panel. There is a point for a tensioner in the C-pillar, right where the two-point type anchors.

Both types use the reinforcement from the message above.

Another option is a two-point, lap type seat belt. This seat belt anchors in the rear seat's base.

You can get the two-point rear seat belts from Toyota. It appears that your rear seat is factory. If so, installation is straightforward.

Juan

Just took the rear seat belts out of my bj70, previous owner installed a rear seat and belts from a 71 and drilled through to install the seats but the belts all went to factory threaded holes. Let me know if you'd like them

Just took the rear seat belts out of my bj70, previous owner installed a rear seat and belts from a 71 and drilled through to install the seats but the belts all went to factory threaded holes. Let me know if you'd like them
Thanks mate, that would be super kind, although I'm in New Zealand, so no idea what shipping will be like. I'll DM you.

Reviving an old thread. Just got more detailed pictures off of someone selling a BJ70 on FB marketplace. Their white bar is missing interestingly. The bar and small tab don't look hard to fabricate, however the seatbelt hardware is a bit funny looking. Would be great if someone could suggest what to look for.

1709874784726.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom