Reverse Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a '68 FJ40 in decent condition. It has the 4 speed swap but the reverse light is on a toggle switch.
My question is - Is there a place on the transmission to connect the wire.... I keep leaving the toggle switch on.
Thank you

Yep

On the rear of the transmission top cover is a reverse switch.

Awesome, thank you. I'll get under there as soon as the rain stops. Really appreciate it.

Here I go hijacking this thread, but I have a similar situation. I have a '70 that was converted from column to floor shift by the PO. Backup switch word but it is just dangling in the engine bay. Any ideas how to make this switch work with the floor shift? There are no provisions for it on the top of the trans. I could put it on a toggle but I know I'd forget it was switched on and I'd drive around with the B/U light on all the time. Solutions?

Most but no all three speed conversion plate have a spot for a reverse light switch. When I switch mine many years ago I just ran the two wire that went to the switch that was mounted to the bottom of the steering column to the switch on the plate. Later I used those wires with my four speed. The switch from the column was held in by a C clip if I remember. Did this back in 74. The ones the transmission thread into the top plate. Different switches on the two transmissions.

I had to redo my reverse light and run a new switch. I ran a new ground and ran my power line along the wiring harness up to my shifter. I ran it to an ignition fuse so it turns off as soon as I shut er' down.
IMG_0183.jpg

Here I go hijacking this thread, but I have a similar situation. I have a '70 that was converted from column to floor shift by the PO. Backup switch word but it is just dangling in the engine bay. Any ideas how to make this switch work with the floor shift? There are no provisions for it on the top of the trans. I could put it on a toggle but I know I'd forget it was switched on and I'd drive around with the B/U light on all the time. Solutions?

If there is a threaded boss on the aluminum transmission shift tower, you can pull the plug out of it and put the switch in there. If your tower does not have the threaded boss[ and there are quite a few out there that don't], you will need to change it out for one that does. I have several of them at the shop if you want to follow up on that option, or you can just post an ad in the Wanted section.

Best

Mark A.

www.marksoffroad.net

If there is a threaded boss on the aluminum transmission shift tower, you can pull the plug out of it and put the switch in there. If your tower does not have the threaded boss[ and there are quite a few out there that don't], you will need to change it out for one that does. I have several of them at the shop if you want to follow up on that option, or you can just post an ad in the Wanted section.

Best

Mark A.

www.marksoffroad.net

Mark,

I pulled the shifter boot off and looked. Mine does not have the threaded boss. Would you be willing to sell me one? PM me to let me know. I assume the easiest way to change it would be to pull off the trans tunnel and access it from inside, right?

roadstr6 said:
Mark,

I pulled the shifter boot off and looked. Mine does not have the threaded boss. Would you be willing to sell me one? PM me to let me know. I assume the easiest way to change it would be to pull off the trans tunnel and access it from inside, right?

I can sell you one with just the boss, or with a backup switch already installed. What I can't (or won't) do is the PM thing. Please call me at the shop to follow up. 818-953-9230

TIA

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom