Reversal of the Shackle Reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85B82C4E-E4B0-44E3-A217-5A9F399C5885.jpeg

Thanks Kurt, Bryce and the whole team @cruiseroutfit ! As soon as the kids are asleep I'll be cracking into it!

Ran into an interesting problem last night. Took a break at about 12:15.
In order to first pull the SR suspension off, I had to jack the front end up super high (see pics in the first couple posts).
Well now the truck is super high on jack stands and I've got to muscle the axle all the way up using the floor jack as an assist. I think I've got to get a spring on one side nice and snug so I can the use the axle to jack up the truck and lower the frame's jack stands, the get into the other spring.

At least this is what I dreamed about! Updates to come.

Question: It is wiser to start mounting a spring with the shackle, correct? Thanks all!

I usually mount both springs to the rear frame mount and let them hang, then slide the axle on to the spring pins and attach the axle to the springs. Now everything is on a hinge. Jack up the axle and attach the shackles.

Ok, that's great info! Thanks! Last night I got the pass side spring hanging from the rear frame mount, with bushings and all. Just wasn't too sure I was doing it the most efficient way.

I think the frame is just so high that it has me overthinking it all. Not the first time, nor the last!

From looking at your pics, i usually have my frame stands higher. At some point you may have to remove the tires. Or... You could put jack stands under axle, and position those stands higher so both springs can be attached to the shackles, then lower the axle on to the springs. Once every the attached you should be able to jack the vehicle up by the axle to remove the rear most jack stands.

Got the axle up on jack stands and everything then went swimmingly. Front end is done, all bolts torqued to spec. Tomorrow is the rear, along with all shocks and steering stabilizer.

9ECD9927-700A-47E5-902E-1686AF6604C4.jpeg

355D5EE8-8950-43EC-BBF5-0F7F371E9AD5.jpeg

This afternoon I was able to take a couple hours to prep the rear.
  • Pulled both springs and related hardware
  • Sorted all hardware (practically new OE shackles, U-bolts)
    • Spring pins were a PITA to get out. I've got new OME so I wasn't bashful about bashing these suckers out
  • Drank a Dogfish Head SeaQuench
  • Pre-cleaned the axle housing, spring and shackle hangers with some Simple Green
  • With the previous lift, my rear shackle angles were terrible. (If I was going to keep the Mojave kit the 40 needed the shackle hangers to be relocated but I knew I wanted to go this route, so I never did.)
    • To prevent the shackles from inverting, a few years ago I had a buddy tack in a couple pieces of 2x2" tubing just fore of the rear shackle hangers. Today I cut them off, wire wheeled primed and painted. It felt so good to get that done.
  • In the next couple days I plan on:
    • Install springs and hardware, liberally lubing with moly as I did in the front
    • Fill all greasable pins with lube via my new $20 grease gun
    • Checking all hardware torque
    • Connect front driveshaft (it's been sitting uselessly on the floor)
    • Picking up my OE seat frames and back panels from the blaster and priming them
    • DRIVING!
CE07473C-3163-4A9E-B37E-61F9273A222B.jpeg

No exciting pics (this one really sucked) but I'll get more next time!

C09B6653-B4E0-416A-ADA3-3814D43D062F.jpeg

For reference purposes, OEM shock mount hardware
Castle nuts
inner shock washers
Outer shock washers
Cotter pins

Officially reversed! Drives like a completely different truck. Thanks for all your input, everyone.
E1F3CAB0-8FB7-4802-A7DD-CD6B84BC095B.jpeg

67132F6C-FFE2-4340-9EE8-3EA8863F971F.jpeg

Me too but that is whole different monster tall SOA ,, this is a nice rig I would chuck those big ugly hangers and go back to stock also.
But I’ll keep mine SOA with SR all day long. Lol.

I may be the minority, but I still like SR's for a tall lift/SOA - especially if the truck spends time on the road and in the rocks.

Just my $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom