Rescuing fogged Roadvision LED lights (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Has anyone attempted to repair leaky Roadvision LED lights, and if so, how did you do it?

I installed them last Spring on my Dissent bumper, but just recently noticed that one of them has condensation.

I'm wondering if they can be split, dried, and resealed to avoid this. Or am I stuck replacing?

If I have to replace them, is there a better option that fits the Dissent bumper, and is better built?

Paging @LXPanda who used some light from Amazon with flex tape. Could you share an item number?

If not, is there a way to preventatively seal the replacement lenses better?

Thanks for any tips. tricks or advice.

Last edited:
I have not tried but I would think if you pop them apart, clean them really good, dry them out (maybe seal them in a bag with some silica gel or desiccant?), then reassemble they would be fine.

Before installing mine I ran a bead of silicone caulk around the outside edge, and applied a whole bunch where the wire ingress is in the back of the lights. So far mine is ok but it’s only been 6 months.

There are some generic options available for cheap on Amazon though I’m not sure if the holes will line up perfectly. There’s no standard size for these as far as I could tell.

Has anyone attempted to repair leaky Roadvision LED lights, and if so, how did you do it?

I installed them last Spring on my Dissent bumper, but just recently noticed that one of them has condensation.

I'm wondering if they can be split, dried, and resealed to avoid this. Or am I stuck replacing?

If I have to replace them, is there a better option that fits the Dissent bumper, and is better built?

Paging @LXPanda who used some light from Amazon with flex tape. Could you share an item number?

If not, is there a way to preventatively seal the replacement lenses better?

Thanks for any tips. tricks or advice.
I am sort of in the same boat as you. My used Kaymar bumper came with a set of Roadvision lights that as far as I can tell, have died. Me being cheap, I’d rather not drop 250 bones on a new set as they honestly feel pretty cheaply made in the first place. Would love to get recommendations for a cheaper replacement alternative.

I’m running the surface mount generics. Red amber white. They’re just fine. I didn’t try to do any sealing, figured that whatever got in would go ahead and find its way out.
I do wish that I had cutouts in the bumper, the design I have prevents these though, later models had the internal support moved I guess. It’s a pretty far step down in quality and cost from Roadvision.

After some searching on Amazon, I found these:

VehiCode LED Trailer Kit Tail Brake Stop Rear Turn Signal Running Reverse Backup White Amber Red Light Bar 12V RV Camper Utility Truck Trailer Van Exterior Surface Mount (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/4u0d5UG

I can’t speak for the quality, only assume… but they are the same dimensions as the roadvision lights. My have to give them a try.

After some searching on Amazon, I found these:

VehiCode LED Trailer Kit Tail Brake Stop Rear Turn Signal Running Reverse Backup White Amber Red Light Bar 12V RV Camper Utility Truck Trailer Van Exterior Surface Mount (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/4u0d5UG

I can’t speak for the quality, only assume… but they are the same dimensions as the roadvision lights. My have to give them a try.
The reviews speak to the quality, I think. Coat liberally with silicone because they don’t appear to be water tight. But for $40 ($35 plus a $5 tube of silicone) they’d be worth a shot if you don’t mind the labor to swap them

FWIW both you guys might try contacting Roadvision to see if they’ll do a warranty or goodwill exchange, given the cost. I certainly would try that in any case

I’ll let you guys know how this turns out but I ended up ordered a different $30 set from Amazon. The dimensions are a bit bigger than the Roadvision’s but I think I can make it work with the Kaymar bumper. I will also be coating it in silicone before hand as the reviews mentioned how not water proof they really are.

Link to the one I ordered below. It should be here tomorrow, I’ll mess with it over the weekend.

I’ll let you guys know how this turns out but I ended up ordered a different $30 set from Amazon. The dimensions are a bit bigger than the Roadvision’s but I think I can make it work with the Kaymar bumper. I will also be coating it in silicone before hand as the reviews mentioned how not water proof they really are.

Link to the one I ordered below. It should be here tomorrow, I’ll mess with it over the weekend.

Those are nice and thin.

Here are similar to what I got. Probably the same. The page I used in unplottable. I wish they were thinner, like @chazzmatazz last link. Is it worth $20 to swap? Probably not until a rock takes one’s of these out.

I got my Amazon special tail lights in. Next day delivery doesn’t mess around.

The initial fitment seems better than expected. They’re very thin, so I’m able to have them mounted a few different ways. What do you think looks bets?

Over the top, set back in the mount or pushed forward and flush with the bumper. My vote is flush.

D277310E-BF40-43E3-86E7-8F0741E9329D.jpeg

998085E8-C1A7-4162-A269-5D1240CF3CB0.jpeg

EDA6DFD9-EAEE-4E1F-AE30-1518D63FFD91.jpeg

Quick follow up: This failure wasn't a design or manufacturing issue. It looks like it was melted, and possibly tweaked in hits to the bumper (hard enough to bend the wing vertical surface).

A98B77FE-7B00-4B7A-AA8C-C08EFE83A237.jpeg
4B37ECA7-C375-433F-B69F-9521B1D0B298.jpeg

Perhaps. The exhaust is sawed off in front of the resonator though. I may need to put an extension to route the exhaust out the side.

I melted a laser detector accessory previous owner had installed after chopping my resonator and not putting a tip on the pipe. It happened in just a few drives. Was a foot or more away.

I melted a laser detector accessory previous owner had installed after chopping my resonator and not putting a tip on the pipe. It happened in just a few drives. Was a foot or more away.
Any advice how to terminate it in a better way for heat protection, while maintaining departure angle?

I welded a 90 on it and ran it out behind the tire. I guess it could get shelved in the current location I have it, but no issues so far. I’m
Others have had a shop extend it straight back just under the rear frame/hitch member.

Thank you. I should copy your 90 degree extension. The problem with going straight back is that I have hit that area and am sure will hit again.

82BD49BC-D7D2-4777-8701-84184A08BA6D.jpeg

Local shop put this on. Required to pass state safety inspection. Should help with melting though. Not very nice looking...
52CBB298-111F-4C29-8819-309B9CBF9A53.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom