Resale value on spring over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was just curious as to everyones opinion on the resale value of a sprung over 62. Provided that everything was done correctly and the vehicle drives very easily at 80+ mph, would you pay more or less when compared to a stock or SUA lifted wagon? I am toying with the idea of selling mine but am now wondering if the spring over has dropped resale value.

I value all opinions/ideas, so let me know what you guys think.

-Karson

this won't help at all.

It's hard to say...

I personally would be willing to pay more for the SOA hence if I were the buyer it would raise the value. My freind is scared of SOA and would be less willing to pay top dollar for a SOA 62. It all depends on your buyer. I would say the general rule is 'The more money and labor put into a truck raises the value', that's just not realistic in all cases. Again it depends on the buyer.

Start high. You can always talk less money but never more.

A SOA, no matter how nice, will impact the resale value. Look at it this way, from an enthusiast standpoint, it may not necessarily *lower* the value of the truck, but it does significantly reduce the number of people that will be interested in it. If you want to look at it from a mainstream standpoint, yes, the value will drop because there are less regular joes out there willing to get into a SOA truck.

I'm not the right person to ask because I never do any modifications on my Land Cruiser with the resale value in mind. Hopefully, I'll never need to sell it, but if I do, it will go to an enthusiast anyway, I can't imagine the average person out there willing to consider something like this.
last known shot.jpg

For an enthusiast, no- I don't think it would. If I were LOOKING for a lifted rig, it would be a bonus to me.

For the average consumer, yes- significantly.

My experience has been that modifications negatively impact the price. Major mods impact it majorly. A SOA would significantly reduce the resale value. A guy was trying to convince me that he had a SOA, csb conversion, and auto conversion installed in his 55 and it cost him "X" amount, so he should be able to get that money back. He was very bummed to find out not only was his money gone, but those mods reduced the value of his rig.

Gumby said:
My experience has been that modifications negatively impact the price. Major mods impact it majorly. A SOA would significantly reduce the resale value. A guy was trying to convince me that he had a SOA, csb conversion, and auto conversion installed in his 55 and it cost him "X" amount, so he should be able to get that money back. He was very bummed to find out not only was his money gone, but those mods reduced the value of his rig.

In *your* opinion, though, others (albeit, granted, a few) may be actively looking for those modifications, and would pay a premium of them. My point is, there are clearly people out there willing to pay top dollar for highly modified Land Cruisers, but the vast majority of people prefer stock (or close to stock) trucks, even if they're planning some of the same mods themselves.

In general, the money you put into modifications/improvements doesn't correlate directly to the value of the truck. If you had two identical FJ40's and one of them had a $1,000 winch and the other one didn't, the difference in market price wouldn't be $1,000, it may be a few hundred dollars more.

SOA will make me believe the PO "beat" more is Cruiser by offroading than a SUA... just an opinion.

Like a stock Honda Civic and a Civic with a full body kit...

!

I think the enthusiast that wants a lifted truck has an exact idea of how he wants it done with which parts and wants the exact look that appeals to him. No matter how great and well done your lift is, it's not 100% totally to his liking.
Your target buyers are narrowed down somewhat to:
The youth who thinks a lifted truck is cool or the hunter that wants a truck to use during hunting season. Neither big $ spenders.

i liken this post to what happend to me a few years back. I was selling a home, where there was an above-ground pool. some people said, wow, you should get MORE because of the pool. Equate the pool with the lift.
you've limited the scope of buyers, since the buye would be looking for a lifted truck, much like the buyer of my house would be looking for a pool.
so it DOES depend on the buyer. My opinion is modifications would generally decrease or at least not raise the value.
hammer

THere's no question that a SOA narrows the pool of possible buyers and therefore makes it harder to sell. But do you guys seriously think that if a guy who wants a lifted truck has a choice between a completely stock vehicle and one that's been PROPERLY lifted that he wouldn't be willing to pay more for the lifted truck? So, yes, this sort of mod very much narrows the pool of possible buyers but there is no way that a SOA would decrease the value of the truck if it's done properly. And there are a lot more people out there besides kids and hunters who are interested in lifted trucks--I'm one of them.

I feel that one person who knows a good SO work, prefer doing byself in his own truck. In the other hand the person that don't know about SO or any specific SO issue ( as how much degrees you need, to preserve the caster ) don't pay / appreciate a good SO work.

Exiled said:
In *your* opinion, though, others (albeit, granted, a few) may be actively looking for those modifications, and would pay a premium of them. My point is, there are clearly people out there willing to pay top dollar for highly modified Land Cruisers, but the vast majority of people prefer stock (or close to stock) trucks, even if they're planning some of the same mods themselves.

In general, the money you put into modifications/improvements doesn't correlate directly to the value of the truck. If you had two identical FJ40's and one of them had a $1,000 winch and the other one didn't, the difference in market price wouldn't be $1,000, it may be a few hundred dollars more.

It wasn't my opinion, it has been my experience, that mods reduce the price. Actually, it's my opinion as well. small blocks and SOAs will get you Jeep money. Land Cruiser money is out the window for most people once major mods are done.

Costomization makes it personal. That limits your market severly.

Obviously, there are people who will pay the big bucks for a "done" vehicle they know has been done with the utmost professionalism. There are those companies that make $75,000 Cruisers and sell them. There are people who will pay big money for those
They don't seem to resell too well though.

Last edited:
I dont know. I think it is a very subjective question. It depends on a lot of things. I say modify modify modify! If you're owning a land cruiser purposely to sell what's the point?

By the way, nice rig Exiled. :D

Thanks, dude! You just wait, man, it's going into the paint booth soon, and I got a bunch of little mods to add up to the big project! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom