Replacing the starter on the trail. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chris777

TLCA member #12444
Threads
Website
mannphoto.com
FJ200 owners, what is your plan if you are on a multi day trail ride, in a remote part of Utah, the White Rim trail, the Hole in the Rock Trail, or the Maze, and your starter goes out? Ive taken the ‘85 FJ60 Ive owned for 33 years to such places, and know that if my starter went out, i could replace it with my spare in 30 minutes. That is why a carry it, mounter mount, water pump, alternator, 2 belts, all my hoses, master cylinders, alternator, and much much more when i go on multi day overland trips on the great trails of Utah and Arizona. I replaced a broken motor mount in an hours time when i was on the White Rim, this past July.

I sometimes think about buying an FJ200, for various reasons, one of which, is to make the drive up there and back a lot easier and faster. But i cant get past the fact that the Toyota dealership needs 6 hours in the shop to replace the starter! I would assume that most of the other parts listed above would also be very difficult or impossible to repace on the trail.

So again, what is your plan if your starter goes out when you are overlanding in Utah?

Stick with your FJ60 - sounds like you have all you want with it.

HTH

I think this is why some people replace the starter as PM prior to a major excursion like you described.

Use the screwdriver method.
Or just replace your starter as PM every 120k.
That works sometimes. But can you even access the starter well enough to tap it with a screwdriver? I get tue impression it is too well hidden.

FJ200 owners, what is your plan if you are on a multi day trail ride, in a remote part of Utah, the White Rim trail, the Hole in the Rock Trail, or the Maze, and your starter goes out? Ive taken the ‘85 FJ60 Ive owned for 33 years to such places, and know that if my starter went out, i could replace it with my spare in 30 minutes. That is why a carry it, mounter mount, water pump, alternator, 2 belts, all my hoses, master cylinders, alternator, and much much more when i go on multi day overland trips on the great trails of Utah and Arizona. I replaced a broken motor mount in an hours time when i was on the White Rim, this past July.

I sometimes think about buying an FJ200, for various reasons, one of which, is to make the drive up there and back a lot easier and faster. But i cant get past the fact that the Toyota dealership needs 6 hours in the shop to replace the starter! I would assume that most of the other parts listed above would also be very difficult or impossible to repace on the trail.

So again, what is your plan if your starter goes out when you are overlanding in Utah?

I've thought about it as well, which is why if I get out of my rig for a few minutes to wander around I tend to leave the engine running. Starter replacement on the trail is apparently doable, but takes multiple hours and is a PITFA to get to. I think the Canguro Racing guys had to do that once.

Nothing in the continental United States is really that remote. If you have extra food and water and stay on the trail help will come eventually. Or buy a spare starter and replace it on the trail, sure it will take a little longer but it’s not that big of a deal. The biggest pain is getting it out, the new replacement starters are smaller in size and go back in easier.

look for the thread on real time starter help.
there is a method to bump the starter with a screwdriver and bypass the solenoid.
it takes two people to do it. one to push the start button, while the second applies the screwdriver with a jumper cable attached.
I recommend wrapping the screwdriver in tape or heat shrink, as it is a long reach to get to the starter lug.

I'm more concerned about breaking a CV on a trail, so if I'm going to be that remote I'm bringing @TexAZ along with me!

It's not an "FJ200" because it doesn't have a 6 cylinder engine. The gas 5.7 V8 we have here in the US is called the URJ200, just like the 100 series in the US is called the UZJ100 not "FJ100". Do some searching here to find out what people do about the starters - there's lot of info out there.

It's not an "FJ200" because it doesn't have a 6 cylinder engine. The gas 5.7 V8 we have here in the US is called the URJ200, just like the 100 series in the US is called the UZJ100 not "FJ100". Do some searching here to find out what people do about the starters - there's lot of info out there.

Matt, someone tinkle in your Cheerios again? o_O

Nothing in the continental United States is really that remote. If you have extra food and water and stay on the trail help will come eventually. Or buy a spare starter and replace it on the trail, sure it will take a little longer but it’s not that big of a deal. The biggest pain is getting it out, the new replacement starters are smaller in size and go back in easier.

I disagree. There are very remote places in this country. I think I go places where no one else comes by for days. We go to seldom used trails, or, when it is too hot or too cold for most people. And it can be 8 hours off road, 2 hours on highway to get to a garage with a working truck. If i did just sit and wait for someone to come by, how are they going to help?

I never go in alone. I have my friends, tools, parts, shop manual. Towing it out would be very difficult because of the rocky climbs. Possible? Maybe. Would i have adequate tools for changing out a starter on a 200 series Land Cruiser? I would have to find out what i need before i left. The service manager at Toyota told me the hardest part would be reinstalling the fender. And the starter is just one example. Other parts might be even more inaccessible on the 200. I want to modernize. Not selling my fj60, mind you. But kinda wish i could make it a little easier when i go to my favorite remote places, as i quickly approach my 70s. But, i might just need to stick with my 60. At least i know i can fix most things like belts, hoses, master cylinders, pumps, motor mounts, alternators, thermostats, and so on, and so on, with relative ease.

look for the thread on real time starter help.
there is a method to bump the starter with a screwdriver and bypass the solenoid.
it takes two people to do it. one to push the start button, while the second applies the screwdriver with a jumper cable attached.
I recommend wrapping the screwdriver in tape or heat shrink, as it is a long reach to get to the starter lug.

Here’s the quote for the starter thread. I keep it in my notes for off chance I need it on the he trail, although I will stick with the replacement every 120k. Damm near that now.

I was able to "Jumper" my old starter by connecting two leads of jumper cables to a long screwdriver touching the braided copper wire from the solenoid to the starter. it took a couple trys, but finally worked. If you are in a jam and get the dreaded starter,"Click" remove the heat shield and have someone push the starter button. when you hear the relay energize, clamp the jumper-cable to the screwdriver and you can start the truck

I’m gonna be that guy... everyone ready for me to be that guy!?

I don’t bring spare parts, and I’m not going to. I go crazy remote places, and always go solo, and I’m not going to have problem.

I also don’t plan to replace my radiator... gasp!

Last edited:
I’m gonna be that guy... everyone ready for me to be that guy!?

I don’t bring spare parts, and I’m not going to. I go crazy remote places, and always go solo, and I’m not going to have problem.

I also don’t plan to replace my radiator... gasp!

100% with you. I drive a Land Cruiser for a reason!

You dont think Land Cruisers ever break down? They do. Believe me. They do. And you will find out one of these days, if you you keep it long enough and use it they way it was intended to be used.

Your tone is coming off as pretty condescending, and you don’t know any of us here otherwise you’d be pretty impressed with how many of us use our trucks how they’re intended to be used, especially @Taco2Cruiser. We’re pretty familiar with the platform and understand the weak points and make educated decisions on what to bring along on the trail. It should be obvious, but a 33 year old FJ is going to have far different requirements than a couple year old 200. I absolutely believe you that you break down on the trail and need to fix it to get you home. But you should believe us as owners and users of the 200 that we do not require the same number of spare parts and tools that you do. Clearly you’re not a wheeling newbie, but don’t assume we are because we have newer trucks.

Proper PM, being aware of sounds and smell goes a very long way toward reliability. But, Personally I've never had a starter die without first giving early warning. But even tanks break down, so we deal with as it happens.

If bumping the IG doesn't work, I use the lug wrench methed TAP TAP TAP to move the contact washer.

This jumper with screwdriver method sounds way better. Cool, I learn something new here today.:) Can you post a picture of point to contact with jumper/screwdriver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom