Replacing the Alternator on the GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, I did the same method except for using a jack and jack stands, and it took probably 2.5 hours. I gotta work on my speed haha!

Well, I read this thread in its entirety before ever starting, so I was well prepared for what was needed. If I had to keep getting up and hunting for tools it would have been 2.5hrs easy! Also, yanking the power steering pulley has to be much quicker than trying to remove the pump...

Thank you this was very helpful but I also just pulled the power steering pulley and dropped the sway bar

I put my GX up on ramps and removed the power steering pump pulley as mentioned by z00t3ch (post #18). With the other brackets removed and the front sway bar lowered, I finished the alternator replacement and did an oil change in under two hours. Not a bad job at all. I went with the remanufactured 130A Denso unit from Rock Auto.

Hi Guys,
98K on the GX and alternator fails.....
what parts do I need to order from Toyota if I am going to rebuild my alternator on my GX470?

• Voltage Regulator 12 Volt, B-Circuit,
  • Quality WBD Bearing
  • Quality NTN Bearing
  • Brush Holder Assembly and spare Brushes,
THis is what I have from a website, but wanted to order Toyota parts. Does anyone have a list?

Hi Guys,
98K on the GX and alternator fails.....
what parts do I need to order from Toyota if I am going to rebuild my alternator on my GX470?

• Voltage Regulator 12 Volt, B-Circuit,
  • Quality WBD Bearing
  • Quality NTN Bearing
  • Brush Holder Assembly and spare Brushes,
THis is what I have from a website, but wanted to order Toyota parts. Does anyone have a list?
I've not done this on the GX, but on my old Toyota Pickups with the 22R and 22RE I used to just replace the brushes on the alternators when it'd go out. I never had a problem outside of that, course those were much smaller alternators too with lots less demand on them

Great thread, ht to OP and all, and bumping with my experience.
Alt was signaling time to replace and I am baselining the car after recently adding to the stable! so added it to the list

Drooped the brackets mentioned above! and only pulled sway bar pivot from passenger side. While worked relatively easy! next time I would also drop drivers side to not have to hold that while maneuvering.

Didn’t jack up, as skids were off per below and not too bad overall. I prefer to not jack up for items such as chassi lube, oil etc.
Definitely not the hardest alt, and power steering pulley comes off easy to simplify.

Details, alt purchase link below.
08 gx 470, ~160k, intermittent battery light at idle only. Tested ok and voltage near tolerance but at low end.
Good service history overall and no mention of prior replacement. Visual check hard to confirm but seemed probable was original.

Already had skids off as I was considering diving into full timing new radiator when starting and likely would have if the fan clutch bolts were not going to strip.
I decided to skip that fir a couple of weeks and just do the alt using this thread as reference.

Had already gotten the sequoia 150amp unit from DB electric when getting the TB items.

Initially I didn’t think I had the test results for the alt, but found them under the packing material.
I’ll wait to post a review of the alt until we get past 2-3 weeks, but so far obd fusion and multi meter testing after install show all as expected matching the test results.

Also I had what I thought was heavier power steering noise, which did improve once that was flushed last week, but after alt replacement fair to say far quieter now and more in line with the wife’s 460 at idle. I imagine once all tensioners and WP are replaced it will be dead quiet. So while not screaming it was in the early days of protesting and near certain at some point with the worst timing would have crapped the bed. Very glad to have done this one.
1st time poster on a great site.
Thanks all

6B88F929-95B3-4179-BBE5-CC87361C577F.jpeg

With portable solar panels and portable power stations, what's the value of having a larger alternator? Just wondering if dual battery setups and large alternators are a thing of the past.

With portable solar panels and portable power stations, what's the value of having a larger alternator? Just wondering if dual battery setups and large alternators are a thing of the past.
Mine was actually an aftermarket 240amp that the PO put in there. The voltage regulator was going bad so instead of getting that rebuilt, I thought about it and decided I didn’t need so much amperage but did want more than the 130 stock.

part number? Lexus dealership is doing a massive 100k service on my '07 and will have the whole front end off for timing belt/water pump.
A solid example of while you are in there.….

If doing timing belt etc, the alternator is already coming off other than the electrical connector.
I just wrapped up new timing belt, radiator, water pump, all the misc idlers etc and would have rather have done it all at once as opposed to removing the recently replaced alternator to get those done.

IMO a higher amp alternator isn't for faster charging of bigger batteries, it's for powering all the electronics while the motor is on.

Have you ever seen someone rev the engine up while winching? this is because the alternator isn't making enough amperage at idle to run the winch well. Now try winching in the dark with light bars, rock lights, radios, fridge. . . all the extra electronic gear we have plugged in. Your alternator is your generator.

If you need to replace an alternator anyway, you might as well put a higher amp producing one in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom