FROADER's 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this 95% built gem locally and feel lucky it's such a nice and well taken care of rig by the previous owner. Some of you Southern California peeps may recognize it. It's a 2006 with only 115k on the clock.

Build specs:
Suspension

Radflo 2.5 Coilovers and Rear Shocks
Total Chaos UCAs
Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils w/ Southern Style OffRoad coil conversion kit
Metaltech Rear Lower Links
DuroBump Bump Stops (need to install)

Wheels/Brakes
FN Overlander Spec B Wheels
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Tires - 34x10.5R17
Power Stop Z36 Brake Kit

Armor/Racks
Southern Style OffRoad V2 Front Bumper w/ Heise light bar and PIAA fog lights
Warn GEN II VR12-S Winch w/ Factor 55 Fairlead 1.0 and Prolink
Southern Style OffRoad Rear Bumper w/ locally welded custom swing out using 4x4 Innovations spindle and latch, w/ hitch receiver for bike rack
Metaltech OPOR Rock Sliders
RCI Rear Diff Skid
Southern Style OffRoad Wood Grain Warrior Roof Rack
@OverlanderWoodworks drawer system

Electrical
OEM Sport Headlight Housings
Hikari LED Low Beams
Car Lighting Source LED High Beams
Northstar Group 31 AGM Battery
Pelfreybilt Battery Cage
Tucson Alternator High Output 240 Amp Alternator | OEM Sequoia 150 Amp
HKB Voltage Booster
Extra 12V outlets in center console and rear passenger side
CB wired from rear bumper to center console
Vais Auxiliary Audio Adaptor (for stock non-nav radio)

Wotefusi snorkel from Amazon, which will be for sale.

Maintenance
Timing Belt/Water Pump replaced (92,845 miles)
Transmission, Transfer, and Diff fluid change (~99,500 miles)
Oil Change (Mobil 1) and Tire Rotation Every 5,000 Miles
OEM Sequoia 150 Amp alternator (116,468 miles)

full

full

Last edited:
I found this "fully" built gem locally and feel lucky it's such a nice and well taken care of rig by the previous owner. Some of you Southern California peeps may recognize it. It's a 2006 with only 115k on the clock.

Build specs:
Suspension

Radflo 2.5 Coilovers and Rear Shocks
Total Chaos UCAs
Toytec Superflex Heavy Duty Rear Coils w/ Southern Style OffRoad coil conversion kit
Metaltech Rear Lower Links
DuroBump Bump Stops (need to install)

Wheels/Brakes
FN Overlander Spec B Wheels
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Tires - 34x10.5R17
Power Stop Z36 Brake Kit

Armor/Racks
Southern Style OffRoad V2 Front Bumper w/ Heise light bar and PIAA fog lights
Warn GEN II VR12-S Winch w/ Factor 55 Fairlead 1.0 and Prolink
Southern Style OffRoad Rear Bumper w/ locally welded custom swing out using 4x4 Innovations spindle and latch, w/ hitch receiver for bike rack
Metaltech OPOR Rock Sliders
RCI Rear Diff Skid
Southern Style OffRoad Wood Grain Warrior Roof Rack

Electrical
OEM Sport Headlight Housings
Hikari LED Low Beams
Car Lighting Source LED High Beams
Northstar Group 31 AGM Battery
Pelfreybilt Battery Cage
Tucson Alternator High Output 240 Amp Alternator
HKB Voltage Booster
Extra 12V outlets in center console and rear passenger side
CB wired from rear bumper to center console
Vais Auxiliary Audio Adaptor (for stock non-nav radio)

Wotefusi snorkel from Amazon, which will be for sale.

Maintenance
Timing Belt/Water Pump replaced (92,845 miles)
Transmission, Transfer, and Diff fluid change (~99,500 miles)
Oil Change (Mobil 1) and Tire Rotation Every 5,000 Miles

full

full
Very nice! All you need is an 8.2” rear locker and you are set to attend SEMA and represent the GX470 community.

You have a very well built unit.

Knowing most tire companies run small compared to advertised, I was curious just how "tall" mine actually are. These are 34x10.5x17 BFG KO2s unweighted with 32PSI...

Pretty sad actually.

tiresize.jpg

If we all go out and measure our effective/actual tire size, we all be crying!

This is like the quarter pounder with cheese from McD. Was the meat measured before cooking? Or after? And was the lean/fat ratio 80/20 or 75/25?

There’s no standard for tires. Even when measured raw, tire mfgs will list their actual specs of a 33x10.5 as 32.76” diameter and 10.46” width and these measurements vary across mfgs and tire models.

Tire measurement are not precise. They are like estimates. And then when you install them on your rig…they shrink in size like the quarter pounder beef patty from McD.

Moral of the story, go to in and out to get your burgers! Lol.

It's all relative. A "35" still looks like a "35" once mounted. Best to not measure them.

It's just a little surprising is all I'm saying. When I had Interco TSL SXs on my crawler, they were close to actual size. Interco is the only brand I've ever seen be close.

So, on my lunch break I made it sound as good as it looks (IMO) and now there is no chance of smashing the exhaust tip while wheeling.

I was going to get the 18" Magnaflow so it wasn't too loud, but I'm glad I went with the 14." It's still not very loud even with the resonator gone, unless you get on it. It's quiet at idle and while cruising there is no drone. I'm happy with it, especially being A LOT cheaper than the Overland Series system.

exhaust.jpg

exhaust_tip.jpg

Last edited:
So, on my lunch break I made it sounds as good as it looks (IMO) and now there is no chance of smashing the exhaust tip while wheeling.

I was going to get the 18" Magnaflow so it wasn't too loud, but I'm glad I went with the 14." It's still not very loud even with the resonator gone, unless you get on it. It's quiet at idle and while cruising there is no drone. I'm happy with it, especially being A LOT cheaper than the Overland Series system.

View attachment 2833645
View attachment 2833644
Nice. If possible, take a picture from underneath to see how you routed the exhaust pipe.

And going back to your tires, so you still rub with the skinny 34s?

Im wondering if I can go to that 34x10.5 with the basic mods I have. It’s certainly narrower than my 11.2” wide 285/70R17

Nice. If possible, take a picture from underneath to see how you routed the exhaust pipe.

And going back to your tires, so you still rub with the skinny 34s?

Im wondering if I can go to that 34x10.5 with the basic mods I have. It’s certainly narrower than my 11.2” wide 285/70R17
I’ll get a shot tomorrow in the light, but he used the stock pipe that goes over the cross member. I had him cut it off after that and add a short piece to get it up out of the way and exit out the side.

The tires don’t rub anywhere. I’m actually wanting a little bit wider tire next time. It will be a while until these wear out, but I’ll have to research a tire that has a similar height, but is a little wider. If I can’t find anything I like, I’ll just get these again.

Last edited:
Good to know on the tires not rubbing. I think having a skinnier 10.5” tire helps with not rubbing.

Mine are 32.7”x11.2” per tire calculator conversion and they rub the sway bar or frame on full turn when making a u turn or backing out of a parking spot that requires a full turn.

Sorry, I took the photo, but never posted it.

It's definitely not the prettiest, but it's under the rig and does the job. Like I said, it saved me a lot of money not having to get new pipe custom bent, or buy the kit.

full
Your coil spring isolator appears to have failed.

Have you taken that truck out and broken it yet?

Knowing most tire companies run small compared to advertised, I was curious just how "tall" mine actually are. These are 34x10.5x17 BFG KO2s unweighted with 32PSI...

Pretty sad actually.

View attachment 2833506
Getting back to the topic of actual tire size. Your 34x10.5 KO2s do seem to run small.

I just went outside to measure my 33x11.5 (285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers Load E on 17x9 wheels) and they appear to be a hair taller than yours. I measured 31 7/8" from the driveway cement to the top of the tire. I have my solo weekend camping gear loaded on 38 psi.

I check BFG's web site and your tire measures 33.5" per BFG's specs. Mine measures 32.76" per Nitto's specs. Not sure exactly how the MFG measure, but I'm pretty sure it's prior to installing on the truck.

It's just crazy that the end result is your actual tire appears to be the same diameter as mine when installed on the truck.

And by the way, be careful going with wider tires...they might rub on full turn. I'm actually researching my next set of tires and I want the skinny 10.5 width to see if my rubbing at full turn goes away. My Nitto Ridge Grapplers seem to run wider than most 285/70R17s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom