Replacing stereo, any easy options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2006 GX470 with nav. also 2.5" lift. Really like it but the stereo/rear camera/map/etc. is terrible. If I add the separate A/C controls to get it out of the stereo system then what are my options for replacing the stereo?
I'm not an audiophile but just like tunes playing at a moderate to low volume. What I'd really like is to have a much better gps map, better camera, and android apps.
What is the best and cheapest and easiest option? Is the Mark Levinson amp and speakers a big problem for doing this?

If you don't mind a bit of buginess and are decent with getting computer stuff set up, get one of these with the Sergey firmware upgrade:

No, they are not perfect, yes they are just a Chineseium Android tablet with a Chinese-designed dash mount and interface allowing plug-and-play into the GX. However they do integrate right in with the factory HVAC and ML sound system, allow you to run Android Auto/Car Play, allow for a backup camera, all steering wheel control buttons, and allow for lots of other Android apps. I run Torque Pro with a huge dash for various sensors and Backcountry GPS trails with offline maps for navigating while off-roading. You can install any Android app, have it wifi connect to your phone's hotspot to stream movies, etc. It's honestly a great setup - but don't expect it to be perfect and don't expect it to be 100% seamless either.

What about something like this? I could use it in my GX and Tahoe. It wouldn't replace the GX nav screen but would give me better options.
Amazon product ASIN B0C2BVYG24
I have something similar in my other car that are less than $100. Mine does not have auto brightness. It was annoying at first but I got used to it. For what it is it's actually way better than my android head unit i put in my GX.

If I am buying for my GX, I would look for own that can have two external camera and Auto brightness. Front camera are really handy to have.

I have a 2006 GX470 with nav. also 2.5" lift. Really like it but the stereo/rear camera/map/etc. is terrible. If I add the separate A/C controls to get it out of the stereo system then what are my options for replacing the stereo?
I'm not an audiophile but just like tunes playing at a moderate to low volume. What I'd really like is to have a much better gps map, better camera, and android apps.
What is the best and cheapest and easiest option? Is the Mark Levinson amp and speakers a big problem for doing this?
if you're interested in replacing the whole unit with a Tesla Style radio, Phoenix Automotive sells one for around $600...OR, I did it myself for under 300 with an ebay one .I posted a video in case you're interested. Since yours is a 2006, one of the connectors (the one with the green wires) might use a different plug ( this makes sense when you get the radio).

if you're interested in replacing the whole unit with a Tesla Style radio, Phoenix Automotive sells one for around $600...OR, I did it myself for under 300 with an ebay one .I posted a video in case you're interested. Since yours is a 2006, one of the connectors (the one with the green wires) might use a different plug ( this makes sense when you get the radio).

Do you have any further info on the ebay seller you purchased this from? The link on Youtube is no longer valid and there are quite a few different listings. Also, is it possible to black out the screen when driving at night? The factory screen has this option that I use 99% of the time and find it handy. Thanks for the video, looks nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom