Replacing Rear Quarter Panel Glass Moulding? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have experience replacing the rear quarter panel window moulding that goes down the front edge of the glass (the side where the hinge is).

I got hit by a 🦌 and amazingly only that cracked along with an antler scratch to the door. I got the part in hand "7564260021 MOULDING, QUARTER WINDOW, OUTSIDE FRONT LEFT" which just arrived.

It looks like it just slides onto the glass, no holes or clips on the new part. Has anyone attempted replacing this? I gave a little tug on the old piece and it didn't nudge, so I'm guessing there may be some adhesive?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

IMG_2516.jpg

There are some threads on this. Requires removing the interior cladding on that side to remove the mounts for the window and then the trim piece.

Give the search tool another try.

Does anyone have experience replacing the rear quarter panel window moulding that goes down the front edge of the glass (the side where the hinge is).

I got hit by a 🦌 and amazingly only that cracked along with an antler scratch to the door. I got the part in hand "7564260021 MOULDING, QUARTER WINDOW, OUTSIDE FRONT LEFT" which just arrived.

It looks like it just slides onto the glass, no holes or clips on the new part. Has anyone attempted replacing this? I gave a little tug on the old piece and it didn't nudge, so I'm guessing there may be some adhesive?

View attachment 2552452

I replaced mine. I used black molding adhesive and masking tape to leave clean lines. It looks original.

They crack from heat and age probably not related to the deer.

Pretty much have to remove the interior rear floor panel, loosen the top rear panel then remove upper a lower quarter panels to whatever side you’re working on. I had my window recently replaced last yr due to a rock. Oddly I have a crack nearly the same area.

Mine are cracked. Arkansas heat i suppose.

View attachment 2552452
I have changed both mine on my 2004, you don't have to remove any trim to enable removal of this moulding, it serves no other function other than a decorative finish and it is held in place with some black sealant, the sealant is not for weather proofing, I used a plastic pry tool and a sharp blade to remove this trim.

Run the sharp blade down between the glass and the trim a few times (gently), then use the plastic pry tool.

If you wanted to remove the hinge that this moulding covers, then yes, you would have to remove some of the interior trim, but not to just change this moulding.

Part numbers....7564160021 = Right hand & 7564260021 = Left hand.

Pictures shown are of right hand trim only, inside and outside.
7564160021.jpg

7564160021-1.jpg

I have changed both mine on my 2004, you don't have to remove any trim to enable removal of this moulding, it serves no other function other than a decorative finish and it is held in place with some black sealant, the sealant is not for weather proofing, I used a plastic pry tool and a sharp blade to remove this trim.

Run the sharp blade down between the glass and the trim a few times (gently), then use the plastic pry tool.

If you wanted to remove the hinge that this moulding covers, then yes, you would have to remove some of the interior trim, but not to just change this moulding.

Part numbers....7564160021 = Right hand & 7564260021 = Left hand.

Pictures shown are of right hand trim only, inside and outside.
View attachment 2552941

View attachment 2552940
Awesome, thanks for verifying. That's what my gut said since the part has no holes in it.

FWIW, I got a quote at the body shop (considered filing a claim to cover this and the door) and they wanted to replace the entire window....crazy.

Awesome, thanks for verifying. That's what my gut said since the part has no holes in it.

FWIW, I got a quote at the body shop (considered filing a claim to cover this and the door) and they wanted to replace the entire window....crazy.
Call me cynical if you like, (I've been called worse, and if it's a weekend it's Mr Cynical). But I don't have a lot of faith in so called 'Experts', it doesn't take long to look on the interweb even for the so called experts to find out the right way to do things.

As they say, "if it's not on the web then it doesn't exist"

How hard was taking everything apart? I've had good luck taking off interior panels on other projects.

I didn't remove any of the interior panels. My molding was cracked and in two separate parts but still firmly adhered to the glass. I used a block of wood and gently tapped the molding off the forward end of the glass. Then I glued the new one in place. You might use some mild heat (hair dryer) to soften the adhesive a bit and make it more compliant for removal.

Last edited:
Hey gang, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but it's the closest I've found to the issue I'm having: I recently discovered that water is leaking into my cab through the passenger side quarter panel glass because the top "hinge" appears to have separated from the glass which doesn't allow it to seal completely. Has any one ran into this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it? I'm currently in Colombia getting ready to head towards Patagonia so parts availability is slim to say the least, which makes me hopeful that something can be repaired instead of replaced. I looked at the parts diagram but don't see this part listed. I was wondering if it's part of the trim, but this thread makes me think otherwise.
IMG_9983.jpg
Swing Type Window Parts Diagram.jpeg

FYI for future members replacing their moldings. I just replaced my molding, part number 7564260021. Like member Smiles mentioned, you do not need to remove the window. The part itself is not secured with anything other than urethane and is strictly aesthetic. You can carefully pry off the existing molding using your non marring tool of choice, and do your best to cut the urethane holding on the cracked molding on. Keep in mind that there are two clips that secure the window to the body, don't pry on these clips. You'll recognize them once you remove the molding. That is the hardest part. Clean up the old urethane off the glass with a nice sharp blade and some alcohol. Use a thin bead of 3M Windo-Weld 08609, $16 at the local Blains Farm and Fleet, on the new molding to secure it into place. You can use the existing molding to see where to apply the urethane on the new molding. Its an easy job, removing the windows overcomplicates this process and may keep future members from replacing ugly cracked moldings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom