Replacing factory tinted glass-options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All:

I tried the search button to no avail...maybe my misfortune is unique. I have a new to me 97 40th Ed 80 with 43K miles. Prior owner had blacked out nearly all the windows with illegal tint (and loaded the Sage beauty with all the aftermarket crap he could find, gasp). In the process of de-tinting the back seat and cargo areas, my tint dude got impatient and scoured off the glue on 7 windows with steel wool. Yes, steel wool. He's on the hook now to replace all the glass he damaged, but here's the dilemma. Local dealer tells me that all factory glass beyond current year/ model comes clear/untinted. True?

Aftermarket glass appears in NAGS available in blue, but my remaining undamaged glass is bronze (gray I believe in Toyota terms) and aftermarket glass is MUCH more expensive than Toyota (believe it or not!).

So...seems like I need to 1. Get factory glass 2. Have tint guy match original factory privacy tint and 3. install.

Other ideas? Anyone else replaced their rear tinted windows?

Thanks in advance. I am enjoying getting up to speed on these great vehicles.

Get a lawyer .. play up the damaged glass aspect ... receive a cash settlement ... upgrade to an Old Man Emu suspension , and BFG At KO 295's . Oh , and mauve sheers work great for a cool tint :p :D :D

Tyler

PS - Welcome to the forum ! :cheers:

The OEM glass in the back doors, quarters and tail gate of a 93-97 80 with a third seat package is grey SERT .(Solar Energy Reflective Tint). It is available from Toyota. I can get the part numbers for you on Monday. The front doors and windshield are a blue-green tint only. Which windows are wrecked?

I replaced the windshield on my 97 40th with OEM and was told the color for this model only was green. Is this the common blue-green to which your refer sir, and they were just trying to make me feel unique?
Bill

Hi CruiserDan:

Thank you for clearing up the confusion on the color of the tint. I was told by one dealer in Atlanta who had replaced glasss on his personal vehicle that the tinted glass (Sert, gray I now know) was not available...that the part number listed for gray (which he gave me) would indeed order clear glass. He was adamant...

I would be grateful (!) for any advice and help, as I really don't want aftermarket tint on the vehicle and am worried about it's longevity.

The damaged glass is: driver's side rear door vent, passenger's side rear door glass *and* vent; and both pieces of the rear quarter sliding glass on both sides of the truck. (he went easy on the tailgate glass, thank goodness).

Thank you again! I can't wait to be done de-tarting this beauty.

Which stealer you go to?

There are several cruiser friendlies in Atlanta.

Stone Mountain and Roswell Toy are both friendly, and give TLCA discounts.

Also, I hope you are coming to Georgia Cruiser meetings =)

www.georgiacruisers.org

Meeting is Tuesday! 8)

Hi DanKunz: World Toyota in Doraville...I live in town. (Nice folks, huge new dealership, hopefully bad intel!) Thanks for the Ga cruisers site...I will check it out.

Tyler--thanks, too, for the welcome. Seems like a great bunch on this forum

Nope, I didn't forget. Been busy :rolleyes:

LH rear door vent: 68124-90060, list $27.49
RH rear door vent: 68123-60090, list $27.49
RH rear door glass: 68113-60080, list $95.99
LH quarter front glass: 62712-60160, list $57.48
LH quarter rear glass: 62714-60080, list $57.13
RH quarter front glass: 62711-60210, list $57.48
RH quarter rear glass: 62713-60090, list $57.13

All of the above numbers are SERT glass. (grey privacy)

:cheers: D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom