Replacing factory shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if I'm dragging a dead horse on this topic......

I want to replace my factory shocks, any recommendations? I want something that will satisfy myself (off road) and my wife (long road trips). Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Mark:
Let me be the first to recommend OME - and if you can possibly swing it, make it an OME springs, shocks & caster bushing package. The difference is incredible and worth every penny. You'll both be happily amazed.
Good Luck, BigMac

Bring in some 8240 Koni shocks from Austrailia. twin tube gas gives the best of all worlds. Unfortunately, the 8240 needs to be removed from the truck for adjustment. I run NOS 8241 (external adjustment) series on my 4-Runner which Koni produced for the USA
aftermarket back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Sorry, my error, just browsed through the Koni Aus. catalog, they only produce the 8240 for the 100 series IFS, and the coil sprung 70 series... You'd have to go mono tube gas/adjustable 30 series, or hydraulic/adustable 82 series.

I have always used Bilsteins on my past vehicles and chose to run them on the LC. I love them, slightly firmer ride, much better dampining and not harsh at all. That and Bilsteins last forever.

Cary

Thanks for the info guys....

I'll start checking prices so I know how much of a sticker shock I'm in for. :eek: Don't wanna skimp on this though...

Thanks again.
Mark

[quote author=Tank link=board=2;threadid=4437;start=msg33142#msg33142 date=1061295088]
I want something that will satisfy myself (off road) and my wife (long road trips). [/quote]

I went with the OME and was very satisfied both on and off road. I don't know how you're going to satisfy your wife on those long road trips - you'll have to think of something ;)

Cheers, Jim

If its occasional off roading, save your money untill you get a lift and buy the Toyota oem for about $100 for all four shipped to your door. Cherios under seats = $$$

Ok, little of a price shocker......How about OME shocks and just leave my springs for now? Worth it or should I just wait until I have the old lady's approval to do both ::).....

Mark

Mark,
99% of the improvement in ride quality will come from new springs unless the shocks are shot. (Then you'll be getting that endless bounce, bounce, bounce.)

My suggestion:
Replace the springs with OME now, or as soon as possible. If the wife will complain about any lift then go with the "no lift" versions. Talk with the guys at Slee offroad first as they are knowledgeable about the OME spring models and what you can expect after fitting.

Later, go with OME shocks. Get advice from the guys at Slee again. If you cannot afford quality aftermarket shocks that are matched to the OME springs then buy new Toyota OEM shocks. They are a very good shock and will serve you well. As someone else pointed out, the price is very reasonable.

-B-

Mark, check the Edelbrock website. The info there is very persuasive. I put them on my '96 and they seem to do what Edelbrock claims they will do.

I've been surprised that on bumpy dirt roads they seem to soften up, considering how firm the ride is on smoother roads. After the firm feel on normal roads, I expect to have my teeth rattling on bumpy, rough roads - but it doesn't happen.

I've never had the OME shocks, so I can't compare the Edelbrocks to OME.

Ed

Eric,

As of today, I'm on BFG A/T ko in 285/75R16 on factory alloys. The springs are OME 851/860 with 1" Mr. Gasket spacers up front. OME "L" shocks with sway bar drops, extended brake and diff lines, etc. I have been on the spring/tyre combo for over 2 years; the shocks were installed 6 months ago.

My next step is a set of trail tyres on a 2nd set of factory alloys. I'll probably go with GY MTR's in 315/75R16. I already bought the OME 850-J springs for the front and 864's for the rear but they won't go on until I've saved enough for the 35's.

Since the 850-J springs are much taller than my 851's, I may wait until after the 2nd battery project and the winch before those springs go on.

-B-

About 864's

I borrowed the Wulf's 864's and put them on mine for a test. They lifted it up over 2 inches more than the Downey's. In fact the vehicle weight hardly compressed them enough to get my stock-length shocks to come off of full extention. I had two big guys sit on the open tail gate (about 500 lbs worth) and it barely moved. I did not drive it so I can't say how it rode but I can say that 864's should probably only be used in vehicles that are constantly loaded to the max or for maximum lift using adjustable arms, longer shocks and brake lines etc.

Dan.

At 105,000 miles of mild wheeling and lots of overweight towing (6000lbs), I put new Toyota shocks on my '93. I was surprised to find the ones I took off were really not showing any distress and that they still had consistent damping. In fact, for all I know, they really did not need replacing, but I'm a safety nut and we live in an area with lots of winding mountainous roads and large ungulates.

At any rate, I'm happy with the original shock damping rates, and the truck literally now handles like it did new. After all, they're the only shocks in the world that are calibrated specifically for the '93 80 series w/3rd seat! The bonus was spending $22/corner for this level of quality - they even have gravel guards welded onto the rear shocks. As a former Product Planner for a couple of the world's largest automakers, I also feel that aftermarket shocks are not properly matched to each vehicle. If you're gonna get shocks, get the OME shock/spring as a set so that everything's matched up. If you've never done suspension development, you'd be amazed at how complex this process is.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4437;start=msg33756#msg33756 date=1061482513]
Eric,

As of today, I'm on BFG A/T ko in 285/75R16 on factory alloys. The springs are OME 851/860 with 1" Mr. Gasket spacers up front. OME "L" shocks with sway bar drops, extended brake and diff lines, etc. I have been on the spring/tyre combo for over 2 years; the shocks were installed 6 months ago.

My next step is a set of trail tyres on a 2nd set of factory alloys. I'll probably go with GY MTR's in 315/75R16. I already bought the OME 850-J springs for the front and 864's for the rear but they won't go on until I've saved enough for the 35's.

Since the 850-J springs are much taller than my 851's, I may wait until after the 2nd battery project and the winch before those springs go on.

-B-

[/quote]

thanks for this, Beo -- my, this is NOT a cheap hobby!! I feel sooo poor compared to what other listers can afford!!

eric

Eric,

How much do you spend on the dog habit? ;) You are burning the dollar at both ends 8)

Eric,

Don't poor mouth us 'cause we remember when you bought the 80, then you covered your cloth seats with top-o-the-line leather seats, then you put in those nifty seat heaters, then you covered the new leather seats with those high dollar neoprene covers, then .... I lost track. :eek:

:D

-B-

oh crap, Beo and Dan -- I'm backpedaling... :)

My dogs eat raw food -- we buy it in 500 lb. shipments -- it's good stuff (ground chicken, bones, organs and veggies), and it's only $.79 a lb. --

BUT, fostering and rescuing IS expensive -- that's the bottom line on that --

-- I still LOVE those seats, Beo!!

Anyone want to but a set of Neoprene covers??

;)

eric

[quote author=landandsea link=board=2;threadid=4437;start=msg33754#msg33754 date=1061482411]
I've never had the OME shocks, so I can't compare the Edelbrocks to OME.
Ed
[/quote]

Ooh ooh, pick me, I can.

The Edelbrock shocks are absolutely amazing in my opinion. I ran them for a year until I decided to go with the lift and longer traveling shocks. OME is nice, but Edelbrock is nicer. Edelbrock is beginning to offer thier shocks with external reservoirs and longer strokes. I am just waiting until they have a set that will work for me. :(

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=4437;start=msg34263#msg34263 date=1061602610]
Ooh ooh, pick me, I can.

The Edelbrock shocks are absolutely amazing in my opinion. I ran them for a year until I decided to go with the lift and longer traveling shocks. OME is nice, but Edelbrock is nicer. Edelbrock is beginning to offer thier shocks with external reservoirs and longer strokes. I am just waiting until they have a set that will work for me. :(
[/quote]

You know, I used to settle for this crap too. NO more. For now on, if what I want to fit doesn't, I'm going to make it fit.

Oh, y'all missed out. My rig was on ebay :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom