Replacement gear for wiper motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing some work on my wiper motor and the gear appears to be stripped. Does anyone know where I can find just a new gear? Everything else in the motor is in great shape, I flipped the gear and it’s working for now but I doubt it’ll last. it’s a 77 FJ40
8517C320-91F2-4736-89D2-FDC2D2CE2BAB.jpeg

1EA7CCAB-EC97-4AE4-BADB-57108B004849.jpeg

These gear teeth are too small (the load and speeds are too) to worry about a perfect involute form. Printed gears would work fine, as long as the material held up under load. From the wear, I would think the original material was Delrin, or something close to that.

A commercial supplier like Boston Gear might be able to provide a blank. You'd likely have to size the bore and provide the square cutouts yourself.

And I would think this is a metric gear. You can verify that by comparing the teeth with a gear tooth profile gauge. They're pretty cheap; just a sheet metal gear profile (actually several, like the thread pitch gauges).

A competent machinist could make that on a milling machine. It s called gear hobbing. There is a person on this forum who is knowledgeable and helpful regarding wiper motor problems. He may have a spare. I am a bit surprised he has not chimed in.

You know, super weird this just came up.
I only work on earlier motors and have no parts for later ones, but I actually think I can help here.
I was just looking into fixing these the other day with superglue and baking soda.

I am skeptical, but I have seen supporting evidence elsewhere on the internet that the glue and baking soda react to form a much stronger bond.

I have used Super Glue and baking soda to repair the nut on an old Gibson acoustic guitar. When it hardened, I was able to use a needle file to re-cut the string groove.
It has held for years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom