Replacement gas tank......what are my options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my gas tank has a leak somewhere near the top :oops:

If I fill it more than 3/4, it drips down and reeks :eek:

I've been putting off taking it down (just haven't had the time), but I'm hoping it's just the rubber seal or return line.

If it turns out to be a crack (seems to be all the rage nowadays), I'll try a temp fix with epoxy sealer as I can't afford any downtime, but what are my options for a replacement tank?

What is the cost of new?

Are there any aftermarket options?

I've seen junkyard tanks for under $200 or so, but they all look to be in sh!t condition themselves :doh:

Welding would be an absolute last resort as I'd like to avoid down time and tying up a lift at my shop :meh:

Last edited:
Subscribed. Same issue. Mine appears to be leaking at the seam. I'm hoping the epoxy can be a permanent solution.

I'd go Man-a-Fre extended range personally. But if that's not in the cards because of cost, I'd look in the parting out section.

Cruiserparts.net has replacements for $250

Seems a somewhat recent thread with 'mud guy had the problem 3 times and others as well. I don't recal his username of thread, but maybe more info there.

Get that fxxxer brazed. Shouldn't be too hard for an experienced shop.

i have a couple used tanks. is it a salt issue from your time in NY and ocean salt in FL maybe? never heard of one leaking down here.

Yeah, it is pretty dear. But the extra 13 gallons is a lot like having the factory subtank, without the extra wiring, plumbing, etc.

how much lower does this extend tank hang? Is it covered with a skid plate of any kind?

would my Labs rear bumper impede it's install?
thanks for the help. 1300 is still really steep.

would my Labs rear bumper impede it's install?
thanks for the help. 1300 is still really steep.

No problem it replaces the factory in the same location. A factory sub tank will also work with a Labs bumper. You can also get a Long Range 44 gal tank to work with a Labs bumper but it is very tight.

Some sliders are not compatible or need to be modified to work with the Man-A-Fre tank

At that price why not make one yourself or have a shop make you one?

I've seen these tanks on craigslist and classified for $40-$50, there was no need and no room for me to grab an extra tank. Hope you can find a used one for a fair price.

I've been dealing with a leaking filler neck for years, but need to install a LRA used 160L tank I picked up a few months back. A friend fixed his a couple months back. I think he got a shop to braze the crack. His filler neck had also corroded like mine where it attaches to the body support. He cut out the rusted section and replaced with hose. You might might to check out your filler neck as well before getting in too deep, as a new one ain't all the cheap either. Ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom