Replacement Emblem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just received a replacement emblem from Cruiser Outfitters and Icant believe how poor the quality is for an OEM product. Here’s a close up of one area showing the ragged paint job. Other letters have overspray. One good thing is the threaded studs came pre-rusted so I don’t have to do it myself.

8ED3D063-83F3-4F6D-8954-705E5D142E26.jpeg

3EBE1EBC-7449-4FA1-ABBF-332B935592CA.jpeg

The Last three I purchased a few years back all looked like that, no different than the terrible quality of the new license plate light on the early cruisers. The new battery trays also are terrible quality and the plating falls off in less than a year. Toyota parts quality has declined significantly.

Email is with your order# and we can certainly look into it.

Fwiw I've seen the rust discolorations on the rear studs of many of them over the years. I've always suspected it was a byproduct of the plating process on those early emblems, perhaps they use the studs to dip? Most other LC emblems don't combine the plating and porcelain? so it seems isolated to those two.

The one Bryce photo'd for the website has it too

Screenshot_20230204_204725_Chrome.jpg

The Last three I purchased a few years back all looked like that, no different than the terrible quality of the new license plate light on the early cruisers. The new battery trays also are terrible quality and the plating falls off in less than a year. Toyota parts quality has declined significantly.

The early lights are sad to see getting crusty after just a few years. One would suspect it's just a primer and needed top-coat but it's a finished paint from Toyota.

It sounds like you've been chatting with our customer service and tech team as they brought this up to me today.

We collectively opened-up nearly every EXT60021EMR ( 75450-60021 ) emblem up we have in stock... as I suspected all of them have similar paint blems and every single one of them has the rust/corrosion on the stud ends, again I suspect because they get acid washed and then plated but they are secured by those. I suspect the front side (painted side) is coated completely over the stamped sheet metal, they then "buff" off the paint from the lettering which leaves a rather sloppy lines. To be fair, they started making this style of emblem in the 50's :eek:

emblem1.png

emblem2.png

emblem3.png

What’s that hair?
ED6B3EBC-4F62-4E5D-92A6-19C5B45A742E.png

Email is with your order# and we can certainly look into it.

Fwiw I've seen the rust discolorations on the rear studs of many of them over the years. I've always suspected it was a byproduct of the plating process on those early emblems, perhaps they use the studs to dip? Most other LC emblems don't combine the plating and porcelain? so it seems isolated to those two.

The one Bryce photo'd for the website has it too

View attachment 3239418
Tape

It sounds like you've been chatting with our customer service and tech team as they brought this up to me today.

We collectively opened-up nearly every EXT60021EMR ( 75450-60021 ) emblem up we have in stock... as I suspected all of them have similar paint blems and every single one of them has the rust/corrosion on the stud ends, again I suspect because they get acid washed and then plated but they are secured by those. I suspect the front side (painted side) is coated completely over the stamped sheet metal, they then "buff" off the paint from the lettering which leaves a rather sloppy lines. To be fair, they started making this style of emblem in the 50's :eek:

View attachment 3241255

View attachment 3241256

View attachment 3241257
Yes I traded emails with your folks and it was refreshing to deal with a company who stands behind their products. I was told I could return the emblem with no restocking charge. I appreciate it. However I made the mistake of painting the back of the emblem to prevent it from rusting before I noticed the poor quality paint on the front so I won’t be returning it. I went to mount it on the Land Cruiser this afternoon and discovered the threaded studs aren’t spaced the same as the existing holes!
I give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom