Replaced Gasket... It Still Leaks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow. The pictures really help. I'm still amazed that the exhaust manifold (This is an F right?) only has one bolt for cyls 1 and 6. Were any of the 2F ex manifolds 1 piece? Or did they all have the 3 piece assembly?

WOW!!! This manifold leaking seems to be a big issue with these 2F engines. I guess my next try will be 2 o.e.m gaskets.
IDave,you say the torque spec is 14-22 lbs.? My Haynes manual says 30 lbs. ??? I torqued it to 40,adding for the extension,could that be part my problem?
I e-mailed Man-a-fre,maker of the header. They said they use the o.e.m gasket with their header. They didn't say how many or to what torque spec.
Man,I am to the very end of this 2 1/2 year rebuild project and am at wits end with this stinkin' manifold leak! :-\

Funny that MAF says they use OEM gaskets, since the one they sent me with the header was an obvious aftermarket whitish colored thing. The torque specs are from the manual. If you overtorqued, I suppose you could somehow screw up the studs. But I bet it goes back to the thickness of the manifold and header.

Damn my head is starting to spin...one last thing to mention. When I replaced my gasket (and I also put the $150 off thickness header on at the same time), I noticed that care must be taken when installing the exhaust manifold/header. You make the double gasket sandwich, use ample amounts of the permatex high temp copper...leave the intake manifold on the bench and mount up the exhaust first. Ensure that it is aligned properly. It will have a tendency to drop down on the bolts. Align with the ports on the head and keep it in position, use the front and rear most bolts (these do not have dual duty on the intake), snug them down good and then bring over the intake and proceed mounting them to the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom