Replace Coiled Front Brake Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Original post ** scroll down for walkthrough.

Does anyone have guidance or advice on replacing the two front coiled brake lines coming from the booster??

I ordered the parts from Toyota and they will come in Friday. Seems like I can get good access through the wheel well. What is the process to remove and replace these lines?

Thanks in advance.

Updated: I ordered the two brake lines from Toyota. Found from partsauq diagram. Turned out to be a simple replacement.

1. All pressure should be out of the system because the brake line is busted
2. Remove small inner splash guard liner on drivers side for access
3. Release the clamp that holds the two lines together. 10mm in a weird spot.
4. 10mm flare wrench or regular wrench if not too tight- Crack 2 fitting for each line it is clear where they go if you just follow the lines from the coils in either direction.
5. Undo one line at a time starting from the booster side and then the frame/wheel side. This is a lot easier if you have 2 people that can work together.
6. Take pictures or remember how the lines snake up so you can replace the same
7. Connect both new lines at the booster side and have someone press the brake with the car turned to start position without starting the car. After fluid fills the line, quickly connect it to the frame/wheel side so that little to no air enters the system.
8. Repeat for the other line.
9. All the connections tighten down snug but not too tight. With the key off, Depress the brake 40 times to release all pressure and time the booster motor building pressure to ensure all is functioning well. Check for leaks and hit a test drive. Check for leaks again.

All set!! Lots of steps but very simple overall. You could definitely bleed the brakes afterwards if you feel there is air in the lines.

Last edited:
Interested, sorry no advice, please update with results, I have 1 of them rusting next to the master. Want to know if the dealer parts fit fine.

Pretty sure is as simple as disconnecting and replacing with new, bleed system normally.

Pump brake pedal 40 times to release pressure, ignition off, before starting.

Ok, some advice..

Interested, sorry no advice, please update with results, I have 1 of them rusting next to the master. Want to know if the dealer parts fit fine.

Pretty sure is as simple as disconnecting and replacing with new, bleed system normally.

Pump brake pedal 40 times to release pressure, ignition off, before starting.

Ok, some advice..
Updated! The brake line that is further to the rear had the slightest different angle where it attached to the fitting on the frame side but it still worked fine.

Updated! The brake line that is further to the rear had the slightest different angle where it attached to the fitting on the frame side but it still worked fine.
Thanks for that. Ordered online or locally? Seems like a pretty fragile part to be shipped and handled by the usual white glove employees of the carrier companies.

Thanks for that. Ordered online or locally? Seems like a pretty fragile part to be shipped and handled by the usual white glove employees of the carrier companies.
Ordered locally only due to time constraints. They are coated metal lines so I think they would hold up pretty well as long as they were packaged w care.

I just inherited a 2000 lx470. It was a Pa. truck, so the bottom is pretty rusty.

The coiled brake line for the front passenger side is rusted through, and the dealers are telling me that the part has been discontinued.

It looks like I will eventually have to replace all of the brake lines, so I would appreciate any advice on an aftermarket source.

The part number for the OEM line is 47311.

I am still investigating the truck, but I have already replaced the hard transmission cooler line. Looks like the previous (original) owner already did the AHC delete.

Thank you,
Clarence

The coiled brake line for the front passenger side is rusted through, and the dealers are telling me that the part has been discontinued.
cool that you got the truck! Rust sucks !
I would insert your vin into partsauq to verify the correct part number on the diagrams but i do not believe the dealer that it is discontinued. Maybe they don't make them anymore but they're definitely available. I just got mine for my 2000 LC and I think it's the same part. Check through the other brake lines as well. My truck is somewhat rusty and I have had 2 lines fail so far. Gathering parts to replace most all the other lines. Also maybe post a picture of the part so others can verify you are looking at the correct part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom