Removing wires from connectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ccasteel

SILVER Star
Threads
I am wanting to remove the unused wires from my terminals for my 3FE computer. I could just cut them off short, but the OCD voice in my head says remove the terminal completely. Any suggestions as to the best way to clean those up? I bought a cheapo set of the wire removal tools, but I can't seem to find the right one or the right way to make them work.

20190914_171551.jpg
20190914_171606.jpg
20190914_180853.jpg

Those should work, use one of the flat ones about 3 o’clock in the pictures and push into the wire terminal then pull back on wire at the same time.....
patience is your friend.

Thanks @Clutchee
Follow up question. Which side of the terminal do I insert the tool? The side the wires come out or the receptacle side?
And top or bottom?

On some connectors you need to push the wire in from the rear of the connector before inserting the tool, then insert the tool, then pull on the wire.

For some connectors you insert the tool from the wire side to release a tab. Top or bottom depends on the connector. You have to use a magnifying glass to look into some connectors to figure out how to insert the tool, for others it's more obvious.

On that connector type, you will insert the tool from the front, not the wire side.
Insert the blade between the edge of the gray plastic shell, and the terminal. Push the wire as far into the connector as you can first, then insert the blade as far as it will go. Now slowly pull the wire backwards. If it does not come out, DO NOT pull it hard! this will bend the very thin metal tab that holds the terminal in place backwards, jamming it in place forever! Remove the blade, push the wire forward, and re-insert the blade again. If you have a slightly THICKER blade the same width, try it instead.

Last edited:
Thank you @Coolerman

Here's a better pic with the tool where I think it needs to be. There is a flat part of the metal connector up against the outside of the plastic housing. I assume I need to get under that to release the wire? I tried a little but was afraid of forcing it. I will try harder if someone confirms that's the correct place.

20190915_134050.jpg

That should be the correct position of the tool. This takes a little practise...
You have to compress that metal tab so that it no longer holds the terminal from sliding backwards. Again a thicker blade will help compress the tab. They can be a pain sometimes to remove! FYI since you are removing them permanently, you can try using a small pair of needle nose pliers to grab the rear of the terminal and just forcing it out. Once you get one out you will see exactly what tab you need to compress to more easily remove the rest of them.

Another tool I used which is just about the right thickness and stiffness is a long flat metal wiper blade insert.

Thanks @4Cruisers & @Coolerman

Funny thing is I was trying to use the metal from a wiper blade before I bought the cheapo set of removal tools. I will give it another go after work tonight and report back.

If push comes to shove, I'll force one by pulling it out the back.

BTW, @Coolerman do you have a preference for weatherpack vs Deutsch connectors? And do you happen to carry them? Not sure I saw them on your website.

So a brief update for posterity. I used both tools below to remove these from the housing. The first was the one on the bottom. I was able to use it to pry down a bit on the metal connector. then I could get the tool on the top to slide all the way in. I still needed a pair of pliers to pull the wire out the back.

20190916_193154.jpg
20190917_103915.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom